Help with 1st time going to a con

Started by captain, August 23, 2007, 10:12:08 PM

Jerry

everyone has pretty much the same idea.

enjoy yourself. remember to eat, rest and shower...

be mindful of your surrounding and whenever possible be courteous and kind to others at all times.

when traveling with friends have cellphones charged and set up meeting points (aka Save points around)

be kind to Cosplayers and would be glomper/glompees...

As for personal belongings and Money, try to pack light but reasonable.

if your planning to buy stuff have a safe place either in your room or car and of course keep those locations LOCKED with only a few trustworthy ppl know where the key and said valueables are at all times.

finally say hi to ppl and you'll make tons of friends maybe even a mini scrap book or just like everyone else grab numbers and names from your new found friends that could possibly last a life time ^_^

keepsakes, memories, pictures, anime, and new friends

what could a Con-goer ask for more?

Enjoy ride whilst it lasts  :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Steve.Young

Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

IamTetsuo

The number one piece of advice I can give is to have fun!  No one likes a grumpy con goer.

Make sure to bring extra batteries and your wall chargers!  Nothing is worse than having your camera/cell phone/hand held gaming/other electronic equipment die halfway through the con.

As everyone else has said shower.  For the love of all that is right SHOWER.  And no AXE/cologne/febreeze DOES NOT COUNT AS A SHOWER.  If you are stinky people won't want to talk to you.  And half of the fun of a con is meeting new people!

I have also found making a schedual maximizes con fun.  It helps prevent those "Oh no that started 30 minutes ago!" situations.  Don't forget to schedual in time for food, sleep, and (once again) showering. :D

Glitch

Quote from: IamTetsuo on October 29, 2007, 01:44:41 AM
As everyone else has said shower.  For the love of all that is right SHOWER.  And no AXE/cologne/febreeze DOES NOT COUNT AS A SHOWER.  If you are stinky people won't want to talk to you.  And half of the fun of a con is meeting new people!
Truer words haven't been spoken. Cologne doesn't cover your smell. In fact it enhances it. So wind up smelling like a hybrid of BO and a cheap playa.

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Glitch on October 29, 2007, 09:58:42 AM
Quote from: IamTetsuo on October 29, 2007, 01:44:41 AM
Truer words haven't been spoken. Cologne doesn't cover your smell. In fact it enhances it. So wind up smelling like a hybrid of BO and a cheap playa.

Some people are also allergic to those things. Then not only do you smell bad, but you're also making people feel miserable. Dealing with itchy eyes/runny nose/sneezing at a con=not fun.

narutofan17

Make sure you guys start saving up now. Funraising helps. When I was in high school we did it last minute so we had to pay out of our own pockets so I would have to say start saving up now.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

captain

Thanks for all the tip ;D, now i play the waiting game for fanime. And I'll tell all my club mates to shower lol. Thanks again.

narutofan17

Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Chaye

coming from someone who has only gone to one con..

Try to wear shoes that won't kill you!! o.o; only use shoes that are heavy or high heels if you are cosplaying.

AX Staff
Exhibit Hall: Asst Manager
o(≧∀≦)o

FinalShadows

Quote from: Chaye on November 15, 2007, 07:21:37 PM
coming from someone who has only gone to one con..

Try to wear shoes that won't kill you!! o.o; only use shoes that are heavy or high heels if you are cosplaying.

I'm wearing boots >:)
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Chaye

Quote from: FinalShadows on November 16, 2007, 07:38:41 PM
I'm wearing boots >:)

I would hope so xD I am for some odd reason going in heels xD

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

neko ewen

Get some really comfy shoes. I bought a pair of Merrel Moc shoes to prepare for GenCon, and I'd swear by them now. Travel light.

Get at least two meals a day, and try to have at least one of them be somewhat healthy. FanimeCon is relatively fortunate in that if you're willing to do a little walking there are affordable places to eat out, but a trip to the grocery store (such as the Zanotto's down the street) can save a lot of money over eating out.

I like to try to organize friends to go out for Japanese food once during the con. Smile Sushi is a pretty decent place within walking distance of Fanime, and Japantown is close by light rail.

Try to go over the con schedule beforehand (if the con folks have their stuff together it should be on the website), but don't over-plan, and expect to miss some of the stuff you planned ahead of time. If you want to go to the really big stuff like the masquerade or AMV contest, get in line early. If you go to the masquerade, bring a Nintendo DS for PictoChat.

Go with some friends. That's what it's all about.

If you have to pick and choose what days of a con to go to, always go for the ones in the middle if you can. The first and last days are almost always half-days with not a whole lot going on.

Think about where and when you want to go to the bathroom. Seriously. The men's rooms at cons can become unspeakable at times. I usually head back to the hotel room.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

FinalShadows

I would like to add to Neko's point that you guys should meet new people and make new friends at the cons. I think everyone that goes to this con has SOME kind of similar interest... so get to know them and spread the word that you are there!

And some tips from me =)

1. Make your day count (get pictures or videocam)
2. Show off your stuff (Dances, Panels, Concerts, Masquerade)
3. Dress to impress (cosplay or tourist)
4. Meet new people (duh, find your mate!)
5. Bring ALOT of money (food, merchandise, prosti....bleh..)
6. Don't be embarrassed (its Fanime, duh)

And I'll carry some bandages for getting glomped on  ???
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Chaye

Quote from: FinalShadows on November 17, 2007, 12:37:38 AM
I would like to add to Neko's point that you guys should meet new people and make new friends at the cons. I think everyone that goes to this con has SOME kind of similar interest... so get to know them and spread the word that you are there!

And some tips from me =)

1. Make your day count (get pictures or videocam)
2. Show off your stuff (Dances, Panels, Concerts, Masquerade)
3. Dress to impress (cosplay or tourist)
4. Meet new people (duh, find your mate!)
5. Bring ALOT of money (food, merchandise, prosti....bleh..)
6. Don't be embarrassed (its Fanime, duh)

And I'll carry some bandages for getting glomped on  ???

I'll add onto this one's comments xD

TAKE PICTURES. seriously.. I was too afraid to ask people if I could take their pictures at the last AX and I missed out on some good memories because of it T-T

also keep tabs on what you spend if you don't use only cash. it will seriously get past you x.x I know I killed my money cuz of it.

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

captain

well im going to try to cosplay as Mizuho from Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, and im afraid that people will stare and give me weird looks.

BrightHeart76

Quote from: captain on November 18, 2007, 01:03:27 AM
well im going to try to cosplay as Mizuho from Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, and im afraid that people will stare and give me weird looks.

Stare back.   :o

Seriously, a lot of people will look at you, but only because they want to see your cosplay.  Personally I spend 50 weeks a year as wallpaper, I do my best to blend in, I avoid crowds, I don't go to things I want to because I'm afraid I won't fit in and people will stare at me, I hate having to talk infront of large groups of people.  But for 2 weeks a year I dye my hair pink, talk loud, and spend a few days at fanime dressed in cosplay and being a total dork.  For those days I ENJOY people looking, and talking, and taking notice.  I still suffer from Social Anxiety for those weeks (ask anyone who saw me at the panel last year), but there is some freedom in knowing that people are staring at my funky hair or my cosplay...not at me.  Know what I mean?

The moral of my story...enjoy the attention.  If anyone acts rude, they're probably just jealous of your awesome cosplay, and that's not your problem. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

zoupzuop2

You have just become the best forever.

Yeah, basically what everyone else has been saying:

SHOWER.
HAVE FUN.
MEET PEOPLE.
BRING MONEY.
SHOWER.
HAVE FUN.
...and ASK before you glomp.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Actually people crossplay and cosplay as stranger things all the time! I mean I was a guy crossdressing in pink last year and I didn't get a lot of weird looks. In fact there were some girls who thought I was totally awesome because of it! ^_^;

New Tip: Make sure to leave some room to play some IMPORT games. Yes it's nice to play games that you can kick ass at, but use the time to play games that you might have to WAIT A WHOLE YEAR to play again! Games like Naruto 4, or Bleach for PS2, etc!