Lucky☆Star: English cast for dub, confirmed.

Started by Jun-Watarase, December 14, 2007, 07:35:21 AM

PyronIkari

Quote from: pockystix on December 15, 2007, 01:49:52 AM
I thought script writers/directors are responsible for how well the English adaptation is, not the VA's. They're just acting. :/

It'll be really hard for Lucky Star to pick-up a new audience in America since most of the people who would understand all the reference probably have already seen it via subs. And without the inside jokes, the series is pretty much about high school girl conversations.

Anyway, there's always the Japanese audio track, so you can still have your cake and eat it. The English track will just be a side-dish that tastes bad (if it turns out that way).

...And Zetsubou Sensei would be degraded quite a bit, since there's at least 100 Japanese puns in every episode, not to mention Shinbo's love of 3D world integration.

It's up to translators and localizers for the English adaptation, but it's up to the VA's to speak it and still carry the meanings and nuances of the speech. It's incredibly hard to explain said nuances and to go from Japanese to English with sound, and still carry the Japanese meaning. Konata does a lot of wordplay in her speech and she uses a lot of vocal changes to note things. It'll be hard to mimic in English when the VA doesn't know the basis of what is being said. Mood tone etc. when speaking about something you don't understand is incredibly hard. It's easy to give direction to something like "You're angry so you're screaming at someone and throwing a rock at them". But it's different to go "you're discussing something that is extremely common place for Japanese girls, and something that happens all the time to them. yakiniku is Korean BBQ where you cook it yourself on a grill, and usually so and so ingredients are used. Yakitori is BBQ where the food is skewered and shared amongst lots of people. You usually take the stick and use the reverse end of the chopsticks to take the pieces off onto the plate, and others will take it. Usually JP people are extremely polite and don't want to take the last piece so it's sit there. Now...

Say these lines about that.

Do you really expect VA's will be able to get into that mindset, speak the lines naturally as if it was common place in their life, and they understand the feelings of it and can portray that in their voice as if "oh this is just like going for groceries every week to me, I know all about it".

LordKefka

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 15, 2007, 01:59:04 AM
I thought script writers/directors are responsible for how well the English adaptation is, not the VA's. They're just acting. :/

It'll be really hard for Lucky Star to pick-up a new audience in America since most of the people who would understand all the reference probably have already seen it via subs. And without the inside jokes, the series is pretty much about high school girl conversations.

Anyway, there's always the Japanese audio track, so you can still have your cake and eat it. The English track will just be a side-dish that tastes bad (if it turns out that way).

...And Zetsubou Sensei would be degraded quite a bit, since there's at least 100 Japanese puns in every episode, not to mention Shinbo's love of 3D world integration.

It's up to translators and localizers for the English adaptation, but it's up to the VA's to speak it and still carry the meanings and nuances of the speech. It's incredibly hard to explain said nuances and to go from Japanese to English with sound, and still carry the Japanese meaning. Konata does a lot of wordplay in her speech and she uses a lot of vocal changes to note things. It'll be hard to mimic in English when the VA doesn't know the basis of what is being said. Mood tone etc. when speaking about something you don't understand is incredibly hard. It's easy to give direction to something like "You're angry so you're screaming at someone and throwing a rock at them". But it's different to go "you're discussing something that is extremely common place for Japanese girls, and something that happens all the time to them. yakiniku is Korean BBQ where you cook it yourself on a grill, and usually so and so ingredients are used. Yakitori is BBQ where the food is skewered and shared amongst lots of people. You usually take the stick and use the reverse end of the chopsticks to take the pieces off onto the plate, and others will take it. Usually JP people are extremely polite and don't want to take the last piece so it's sit there. Now...

Say these lines about that.

Do you really expect VA's will be able to get into that mindset, speak the lines naturally as if it was common place in their life, and they understand the feelings of it and can portray that in their voice as if "oh this is just like going for groceries every week to me, I know all about it".

Dude, you're an ignorant shit who don't know what you're talking about. How about Shutting the hell up?

Damn noobs these days... lol.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

OHNOS YOU INSULTED ME BASED ON NOTHING.

I don't know anything? Except I DID THIS FOR MY JOB. So obviously me doing this for a job means I know nothing on the subject over you, who interviewed a few VA's.

LordKefka

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 15, 2007, 02:03:42 AM

I don't know anything? Except I DID THIS FOR MY JOB. So obviously me doing this for a job means I know nothing on the subject over you, who interviewed a few VA's.

Oh really? You're job? Please, do tell, who have you interviewed, and I can personally tell that voice actor/ess you are a stupid shit like I am telling you right now after talking 2 years of Japanese Culture and Society.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

The VAs have the responsibility to properly express their character's reactions, and how they say phrases... namely, those jokes and phrases that the writers give them to read. Without understanding of what they're representing in their lines, or knowing anything about what it is and why it was translated that way, they would do poorly. ^^;

Dude, you're an ignorant shit who don't know what you're talking about. How about Shutting the hell up?

What's... wrong with you? o_o;

I had enough respect to assume that you wouldn't resort to something like that. Silly me. -Facepalm.-

Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 02:06:18 AM
Quote from: PyronIkari on December 15, 2007, 02:03:42 AM

Oh really? You're job? Please, do tell, who have you interviewed, and I can personally tell that voice actor/ess you are a stupid shit like I am telling you right now after talking 2 years of Japanese Culture and Society.

Okay. Now, I'm just going to assume someone hacked your account and is making you look more idiotic. The whole, "I has talked to VA peoples and I can tell them ur stupid!!" and "I know more about Japanese Culture because I took 2 years of Jap Culture courses in skool!!" SERIOUSLY looks like a joke.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 15, 2007, 02:07:24 AM

The VAs have the responsibility to properly express their character's reactions, and how they say phrases... namely, those jokes and phrases that the writers give them to read. Without understanding of what they're representing in their lines, or knowing anything about what it is and why it was translated that way, they would do poorly. ^^;

I had enough respect to assume that you wouldn't resort to something like that. Silly me. -Facepalm.-

really Jun? like you have been telling me it's my "opinion" when I say something yet you so strangely go against it? LMAO. Shut the hell up. I'm sick of your ignorant shit as well. You don't think me and other staffs talk about idiots like you who act like you know stuff and ruin the forums?
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

LordKefka

Can you two please post faster. I don't have as much time as you do to post non-sensible bs.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 02:11:09 AM
Can you two please post faster. I don't have as much time as you do to post non-sensible bs.

O_o ...

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

PyronIkari

It's no secret that I worked at Atlus USA. I was used as a VA extra in a game(you can figure out which one on your own). I was assistant voice director for games because the usual one was on vacation, and strangely enough, I did more than the head because he was busy with other things he had to work with. I sat in a studio for 9 hours a day, weekdays, for 2 weeks to get probably a total of 3 hours of spoken dialogue. You took two years of Japanese Culture and Society... what does that have to do with VA'ing in the US?

I'm not at liberty to say who I worked with, because that's kind of rude to them. You should be able to find who VA'd for which game, and put it together yourself though. It's not that hard to do. Though, I would wonder how amazingly professional it would be for you to do that... so I'm almost tempted to.

Again... your two years of Japanese Culture and Society, and you interviewing a few people totally trumps that though, so I obviously shouldn't talk. You know way more about how VA'ing and studios work than I do... right? Is that what you want me to say? Because you know... THERE'S NO sarcasm in what I'm saying right now, you totally know more than me.

Though I don't think, Fanime staff should be posting as you do. It gives fanime a bad name, also gives you a bad name as press to. I don't care if you want to argue, but blantent baseless insults are quite unbefitting of the convention.

LordKefka

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 15, 2007, 02:14:41 AM

It's no secret that I worked at Atlus USA. I was used as a VA extra in a game(you can figure out which one on your own). I was assistant voice director for games because the usual one was on vacation, and strangely enough, I did more than the head because he was busy with other things he had to work with. I sat in a studio for 9 hours a day, weekdays, for 2 weeks to get probably a total of 3 hours of spoken dialogue. You took two years of Japanese Culture and Society... what does that have to do with VA'ing in the US?

I'm not at liberty to say who I worked with, because that's kind of rude to them. You should be able to find who VA'd for which game, and put it together yourself though. It's not that hard to do. Though, I would wonder how amazingly professional it would be for you to do that... so I'm almost tempted to.

Again... your two years of Japanese Culture and Society, and you interviewing a few people totally trumps that though, so I obviously shouldn't talk. You know way more about how VA'ing and studios work than I do... right? Is that what you want me to say? Because you know... THERE'S NO sarcasm in what I'm saying right now, you totally know more than me.

LMAO. Please, provide what importance you have contributed. I would LOVE to post a review on both animesou and THEManime about a dumbass like you and what you say. Please, link me. I can critique people as well as you can to people on forums.... except I can make it into article forms. Go ahead, where is it Mikey.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

o_0

How would you write an article about me working as a VA director. "LOL I have no clue what he did or said, how much time he was given, or how well he directed them, but HE IS STUPID!" Is that what your article would look like?

That doesn't even make sense.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 02:09:25 AM

really Jun? like you have been telling me it's my "opinion" when I say something yet you so strangely go against it? LMAO. Shut the hell up. I'm sick of your ignorant shit as well. You don't think me and other staffs talk about idiots like you who act like you know stuff and ruin the forums?

I can respect an opinion, but I have a lack of respect for idiotic statements. You call me a "noob" for my explanation of the VA's responsibility for the character and how they are portrayed... This is wrong? If the actors aren't responsible for properly expressing their character, then I don't see what their reason for being passionate about their job is. Really, before you call me a "noob", please explain how my explanation was wrong rather than calling me ignorant and telling me to shut up.

But really, aren't you an adult...? Somehow you managed to swallow whatever pride I THOUGHT to had to resort to throwing "Oh, me and the staffs talk sh*t about yous because I thinks ur stupid!", thinking it'd phase me...? Sorry to disappoint you, but how blatantly obvious who the real idiot is managed to null my ability to care.

Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 02:17:33 AM

LMAO. Please, provide what importance you have contributed. I would LOVE to post a review on both animesou and THEManime about a dumbass like you and what you say. Please, link me. I can critique people as well as you can to people on forums.... except I can make it into article forms. Go ahead, where is it Mikey.

So, now you're challenging him for the sake of proving him wrong? Are you assuming that he's lying to you, and everything we say is bullshit? Please, don't be so full of yourself. Your reasons in participating in discussions or arguments aren't for the sake of backing up your point or what you believe in. It's just to prove the other person wrong, even though they aren't... then you throw random insults.

It makes you look stupid, when I thought you were capable of eventually proving me otherwise by making valid points, being as opinionated as you are. There isn't much faith, now.

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 15, 2007, 02:27:51 AM
Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 02:09:25 AM

I can respect an opinion, but I have a lack of respect for idiotic statements. You call me a "noob" for my explanation of the VA's responsibility for the character and how they are portrayed... This is wrong? If the actors aren't responsible for properly expressing their character, then I don't see what their reason for being passionate about their job is. Really, before you call me a "noob", please explain how my explanation was wrong rather than calling me ignorant and telling me to shut up.

But really, aren't you an adult...? Somehow you managed to swallow whatever pride I THOUGHT to had to resort to throwing "Oh, me and the staffs talk sh*t about yous because I thinks ur stupid!", thinking it'd phase me...? Sorry to disappoint you, but how blatantly obvious who the real idiot is managed to null my ability to care.

Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 02:17:33 AM

So, now you're challenging him for the sake of proving him wrong? Are you assuming that he's lying to you, and everything we say is bullshit? Please, don't be so full of yourself. Your reasons in participating in discussions or arguments aren't for the sake of backing up your point or what you believe in. It's just to prove the other person wrong, even though they aren't... then you throw random insults.

It makes you look stupid, when I thought you were capable of eventually proving me otherwise by making valid points, being as opinionated as you are. There isn't much faith, now.

LOL. Kids these days. Please, mention something which proves ME wrong in what I have said in regards to either of you two.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Btw, i'm sending this to some of the higher ups at staff. I don't think they'll appreciate you insulting members of the forums with nothing other than direct insults without even an attempt to prove something.

LordKefka

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 15, 2007, 02:32:58 AM
Btw, i'm sending this to some of the higher ups at staff. I don't think they'll appreciate you insulting members of the forums with nothing other than direct insults without even an attempt to prove something.

Really? You think I'm wrong when I say some of the things I say? You think your opinions are more correct? Try me, and don't run away. You brag about all these things you have done. Where is it? Want to talk to Carlos who runs THEManime about me? LOL. You think what you say is correct? LMAO. Try me kid. You act so tough on forums. Just try. You ruin the forums for everyone. Never have I seen someone with as big of an e-wang as I have with you.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

If not random insults, they're just statements on how you're supposedly experienced and knowledgeable of the industry. That was proven wrong when you challenged the fact that VAs have the responsibility of portraying their characters, which... was sort of common sense. I don't see what was said that could possibly be incorrect...? They were pretty obvious statements. As for anything else said, there's no reason for any of us to lie about them.

What is left to prove wrong from your posts...? I reviewed them, and it's pretty much you randomly insulting people and telling us to shut the hell up. o_o; Occasionally, your testosterone levels hit the roof and you start challenging things, and the only thing on your mind is to try and prove others wrong... for absolutely no reason. You don't even have a point, anymore.

FanimaidCafe.com

PyronIkari

What the hell is THEManime, and why should I care? I'm sending this to Fanime staff because a fanime staff member should not be insulting members of the forum with no point.

I brag about things? You bragged, and I was citing my experience. Because they apply to these situations. I worked with VA's, and that's how I know how things work. This apparently doesn't mean anything to you. I worked at Atlus, you need prove? Why not ask the head of Registration. That's Milton Le isn't it? He's one of my good friends. Unlike you, I don't plaster my personal history on the internet, in my sig, and brag about how awesome I am because of it. I only cite things when they apply as evidence of my knowledge and experiences.

I'll let you in on something. There's a reason why Jason Ebner wanted me to run a panel, and multiple panels. He wanted me to run a panel just where I talked about the things I've experienced in my life, because he knows I've experienced quite a lot, and know quite a lot of people. Think about that for a minute. Why would head of live programming want me to run a panel just about my life... if what you say is true. If all of this was me making up lies.

LordKefka

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 15, 2007, 02:40:27 AM
If not random insults, they're just statements on how you're supposedly experienced and knowledgeable of the industry. That was proven wrong when you challenged the fact that VAs have the responsibility of portraying their characters, which... was sort of common sense. I don't see what was said that could possibly be incorrect...? They were pretty obvious statements. As for anything else said, there's no reason for any of us to lie about them.

What is left to prove wrong from your posts...? I reviewed them, and it's pretty much you randomly insulting people and telling us to shut the hell up. o_o; Occasionally, your testosterone levels hit the roof and you start challenging things, and the only thing on your mind is to try and prove others wrong... for absolutely no reason. You don't even have a point, anymore.

I don't have a point? Really? It isn't a point to encourage VAs who AREN'T fully exposed to Japanese culture to become more accustomed to  what they are inexperienced with? So you think in order to be a VA, the person needs to have been in a Japanese state of mind? Do you even know what you're saying? Anyone who says that VAs who are incompetent to perform because they have insufficient knowledge of Japanese culture are stupid for not understand the industry.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

LordKefka

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 15, 2007, 02:45:29 AM
What the hell is THEManime, and why should I care? I'm sending this to Fanime staff because a fanime staff member should not be insulting members of the forum with no point.

I brag about things? You bragged, and I was citing my experience. Because they apply to these situations. I worked with VA's, and that's how I know how things work. This apparently doesn't mean anything to you. I worked at Atlus, you need prove? Why not ask the head of Registration. That's Milton Le isn't it? He's one of my good friends. Unlike you, I don't plaster my personal history on the internet, in my sig, and brag about how awesome I am because of it. I only cite things when they apply as evidence of my knowledge and experiences.

I'll let you in on something. There's a reason why Jason Ebner wanted me to run a panel, and multiple panels. He wanted me to run a panel just where I talked about the things I've experienced in my life, because he knows I've experienced quite a lot, and know quite a lot of people. Think about that for a minute. Why would head of live programming want me to run a panel just about my life... if what you say is true. If all of this was me making up lies.

You don't site worth jack. All you do is try and prove how much more your opinions are more valid than anyone else's is. And yes, I will send an email to Jason Ebner about your behavior and your arrogance over the forums. As a reviewer and editor of two sites which promotes Anime, I am not obligated to say what I say in favor of people like you as I have my own opinion. You can say what you want. I will say what I want.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Quote from: LordKefka on December 15, 2007, 02:47:28 AM
I don't have a point? Really? It isn't a point to encourage VAs who AREN'T fully exposed to Japanese culture to become more accustomed to  what they are inexperienced with? So you think in order to be a VA, the person needs to have been in a Japanese state of mind? Do you even know what you're saying? Anyone who says that VAs who are incompetent to perform because they have insufficient knowledge of Japanese culture are stupid for not understand the industry.

If a VA doesn't understand the character, the background of the character, the culture behind the character, and what not... yes... it's hard for the VA to perform the part. They can play other parts fine, there's no problem with that.

And, no, you don't have a point. Encourage VA's to learn about roles and the basis behind them is a good thing. You're basically stating "VA's don't need to learn about the characters they do, the culture behind them, or anything at all. VAs can do any role they choose and it will be quality!"

You being a writer doesn't mean anything to be honest. It means that you write opinions, it doesn't mean you've experienced them. I know what it's like to be a VA as I did a small role. I know what it's like to be a director for a VA, as I did it. I could be bragging about other stuff that don't apply... but they don't apply. I'm only bringing these things up because they apply to this conversation.

If it wasn't 3am, I'd call Ebner right now.

Which is why... we have so many bad dubs