How old is too old?

Started by Froxen Shade, March 06, 2008, 01:45:12 AM

dibbly

well, I'm 27 and i still have plans for the next couple of years.=)i think i was 22 my first year going, and I've never miss one yet.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

Shinsengumi

Right now I'm 24 years old by the time Fanime starts I'll be 25, I'm never too old, I'm still going to continue going as long as I live.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Mister_E

I want to keep cosplay till I'm like ohhhh...carry the 1...add that...dead...

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

G.I.R

Quote from: kyochan on March 06, 2008, 06:46:33 PM
I say you're only too old if you think you're too old. The idea is to have fun. Just because you see more kids and teens doesn't mean that it's only for kids and teens. If you're still having fun at conventions, whether it be fanime or any other anime con, then you're still young enough to go. I'm almost 30 but I'm glad to go because it's one of the few chances I get to act young and have fun again. Full time work and real life really sucks the life out of me and anime conventions is the perfect way for me to be happy and have fun ^__^v
The first sentence sums it up in a nutshell.  :D

FanFicGuru

I'm 22 and I'll be turning 23 a week after Fanime. Personally I've had that feeling before standing in the pre-registration line for my badge. Looking around at all of the rather insane teenage and pre-teen cosplayers I was like "What the hell am I doing here?" and I got kind of depressed. But then I went to the screening rooms, went and saw Redeath (for the 90th time), hung out in the arcade...went to panels and tons of other fun and exciting activities that reminded me why I love anime.

Also, it's fun having friends along...oh and having a press badge doesn't hurt either.

I think you'll be fine.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

openhappy

Damn. I am 35 and I plan to apply as staff to take photos this year.  ??? Happens to be a gundam fan from the start. UC 0079 is 1979 ... Mmmmm ...

Golden State Warrior

"Age ain't nuthin' but a number."

-Aaliyah

As long as I like anime, I'll attend even if I'm 106 years old.

AnimeEmperor

Quote from: Mister_E on March 06, 2008, 03:32:06 PM

If you think you're too old look at them
Oh man I ran into that group like 50 times, those two are so awesome. XD

BrightHeart76

I'm 31 and I still love fanime. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Mister_E

Quote from: AnimeEmperor on March 07, 2008, 09:29:39 PM
Quote from: Mister_E on March 06, 2008, 03:32:06 PM

Oh man I ran into that group like 50 times, those two are so awesome. XD

That is why we need to follow their example!
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Nyxyin

Quote from: Froxen Shade on March 06, 2008, 01:45:12 AMSo when should people stop going to Fanime?
As others have said, people should stop going when they stop enjoying it, if such a thing should ever happen.

QuoteI mean most people there are relatively young, so what is the generally accepted age range?
If "generally accepted age" worries you more than being able to find time to do everything you want to do at Fanime, then you might find it less stressful to stay home.

Quoteshould I expect to feel terribly out of place?
If you're worried about being out of place, bring friends.  No matter your age, how can you be out of place if your friends are there?  The age range of the dozen or so friends I will see at Fanime spans two decades (maybe more, and the youngest of us is already in college), and I find each and every one of them to be very much "in place" at Fanime.  Fanime just would not be the same without them.

kimono_hime

I'm 35 and this will be my first time at Fanime. I'm getting a kick out of seeing how excited my kids are about going. My parents were not keen on this sort of thing when I was a teen, but my mom did go with me to comic cons and let me go to sci fi cons on my own, plus ren faires and other crazy stuff. She probably figured as long as I wasn't getting into drugs it must be okay.

My mom is SO cool.  :D

MidnightRosebud

Only 24? No worries there then. I know a lot of people going this year and their ages range from 16 to 30+.  8)
I plan on going for many years to come, and if/when I have kids, I'll drag them along too.  ;D
You're never too old for your inner child, right?
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy

luckyends

Age means nothing except a different set of characters to cosplay as ^_^
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

ToshiX

"When The Snow Melts, What Does It Become?"
"It Becomes Water"
Bzz" Bzz, Wrong It Becomes Spring Silly"
"Spring Is My Favorite Season Of All"

Cosplays
???

short_storiesgl

Quote from: ToshiX on March 10, 2008, 11:58:14 PM
Your Never Too Old  ^^

I second That cause i plan on being like 60 and coming to fanime with my  grandchildren lol
Dance Staff Second

taitai

It's never about *being* too old, it's about *feeling* too old.  If you can go and still have fun, why not?  But if your favorite series was like, Kimagure Orange Road and you're waiting for Megumi Hayashibara to do a con appearance, then maybe the con scene isn't for you.

BunofGovt

Quote from: taitai on March 11, 2008, 08:19:08 PM
It's never about *being* too old, it's about *feeling* too old.  If you can go and still have fun, why not?  ...

Two years ago I went to Fanime by myself because my nephew and his friends couldn't make it.  I had lots of fun hanging out with others I met at the con, watching anime, shopping shopping shopping and cosplaying my brains out.  Stayed up too late, ate at places in the area, took plenty of pictures.  I was 47 then, I'm 49 now and plan on doing the same and more this year.  ::)  Last year made it to 6 or so cons, had a great time at all of them.  I've seen plenty of con-goers in my age range, too.  And even though I did not go to them, I believe there were at least two panels aimed at the older anime fan.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

taitai

Quote from: BunofGovt on March 11, 2008, 08:40:46 PM
Quote from: taitai on March 11, 2008, 08:19:08 PM
It's never about *being* too old, it's about *feeling* too old.  If you can go and still have fun, why not?  ...

Two years ago I went to Fanime by myself because my nephew and his friends couldn't make it.  I had lots of fun hanging out with others I met at the con, watching anime, shopping shopping shopping and cosplaying my brains out.  Stayed up too late, ate at places in the area, took plenty of pictures.  I was 47 then, I'm 49 now and plan on doing the same and more this year.  ::)  Last year made it to 6 or so cons, had a great time at all of them.  I've seen plenty of con-goers in my age range, too.  And even though I did not go to them, I believe there were at least two panels aimed at the older anime fan.

I've known people who just can't keep up and they're in their mid twenties.  I was referring to a more general mindset than a real age limit.  I've noticed that the mindset has a huge age range.

Rainbow Ichi

heh I have pictures of the jiraya-sama and tsunade-sama too ^__^
besides, arent the sannin supposed to be over 50? I don't really mind people of that age dressing up as them, so long they know the basic etiquetee dealt in a con, remember Jiraya-sama's perversion is only fictional and should not be reflecte as real in the convention.

besides I took a picture of someone older! lookie loookie!!!!

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4220572&a=32530778&p=75584404

and he was having fun the entire time! :D He had a lot of energy to go running around watching the videos he wanted to see.
Year taken, Fanime 2007
"Brevity is the Soul of the Wit"
"Pen and Sword in accord"

Rainbow Ichi's DeviantART Page:
http://rainbow010101.deviantart.com