Badz-Maru Costume

Started by Truten, March 07, 2008, 01:12:12 AM

Truten

I want to make a Badz-Maru cosplay costume for Fanime this year. Id like for anyone to give me some tips on what type of fabric to use for the body and how to make the head. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

redroses3164

I don't really know what to use material wise but I can kinda help with the structuring of the head.

Since Badtz-Maru has a weird head, you'd have to plan out how that would look in 3D form. You can use chicken wire and some pliers to get the correct head shape. Chicken wire is awesome because it bends pretty well, you can cut off as much as ya want to get the weird angles and shapes, and it has a grid-like pattern so the fabric can just rest on top of the grid.

Moonblossom

Badtz-Maru has always struck me as being kind of fuzzy, I'd say something like fleece for the body. It's warm but breathable. You might get a bit warm, but it won't be incredibly stuffy.

Truten

I was thinking of using fur for the body and lining the inside so i could stuff it with cotton to give it the contour shape and squishyness. I also thought about using felt for the eyes. The head would be the hardest part and chicken wire sounds easy as the base for the head. If you have any more ideas send them this way, or any good places to buy cheap fabrics.

Moonblossom

Fur might get very warm if you're going to walk around inside, especially if you plan to stuff it.

redroses3164

Ditto on fur being really warm. Remember, if you're walking around a convention, there's gonna be a lot of people surrounding ya. Not only is fur warm by itself, but you'll basically toast yourself with all the body heat around ya.

If you can, you can build in those mini fans where his spiky stuff on his head are to keep yourself cool.

Well, if ya live by a JoAnns, you can get coupons in the mail/email by signing up with them. There's always coupons and sales there. =)

hellangel

fabric choice: moleskin! (or velour, but that's thicker)
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

Truten

Well the choices have been made on what material to use and I've placed some order. I'm going to be using moleskin for the body and head of the suit. Jersey knit for the stomach cause it has the fury effect. Wonderflex for the eyes since it can basically be molded and painted the way I want. Wire for the heads shape, and some foam for the paddig inside the head. A re-shapened foam block for the beak.

I'm thinking of also making a suit for the costume for the black and white ball, what do you all think?

Well let me know how it all sounds to you. :) I"ll probably post some pics once i get this costume rolling. Wish me luck!!

XpHoBiaX

That sounds so cute! I would love to see this costume! Sounds like you have it down pat.

Truten

I've been going to the fabric store for like two weeks just looking for fabric and online too. I'm going to order it online because it is so much cheaper. I've thought about every detail carefuly. :)

XpHoBiaX

lol that is what I did with my predator costume. For an entire month I was drwing up sketches and studying basic patterns until I came up with something that will work, and could be perfected later on if need be.

redroses3164

Quote from: Truten on March 16, 2008, 12:18:11 PM
I'm thinking of also making a suit for the costume for the black and white ball, what do you all think?

I dunno if they will have the same venue where they held the ball last year but if that is the case, it is VERY small. I highly doubt you'd be able to move around that much in Badtz Maru. But if they are changing the location of the ball to a bigger area, I say go for it! It would be a cute idea. :3

Truten

Well I think I'm going to make a few other items I will be able to put on the costume.

hellangel

Quote from: redroses3164 on March 16, 2008, 01:48:56 PMI dunno if they will have the same venue where they held the ball last year but if that is the case, it is VERY small. I highly doubt you'd be able to move around that much in Badtz Maru. But if they are changing the location of the ball to a bigger area, I say go for it! It would be a cute idea. :3

nope, it's definitely going to be in a bigger space :D
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

Truten

NICE! It wont be uber hot and hard to move! *jumps with joy*