2012 Cosplay Battle Event

Started by Eliteslayer, July 08, 2009, 02:28:55 PM

Eliteslayer

After the 2010 and 2011 Cosplay Battles were a fun success, it's time to change the thread for 2012! All are welcome, but those who sign up ahead of time here or on cosplay.com will have priority in turn order.

Date: Saturday & Sunday
Time: Sat: 2:30
Sun: 12:30

First of all, let me make one thing clear: even though the name is "Cosplay Battle" there will be absolutely no fighting. I repeat, violence will not be tolerated. If anyone is acting in a manner that threatens the safety of the other event participants, they will be asked to leave.

I had to make that absolutely clear before we begin. Now to explain the event itself.

I saw this done a few years back at another convention, and had a great time participating, so I thought I'd bring it to Fanime. So credit for the idea goes to the people who came up with it, although I don't know who you are or when it started.

The basic idea of the event is a tournament-style matchup of cosplayer vs cosplayer in three-pose battles -- three pictures in which the two look like they're fighting, then a "winner" is determined.

The two competitors come up and act like they're in the middle of a battle, freezing in place for pictures. Once this repeats three times, whoever feels they have "lost" will go down, and the winner is determined. Depending on the amount of participants, we may have the winners move on to later rounds, but that's probably unlikely.

Of course, any characters from any series are welcome. You don't have to be from a fighting series, or even be a character who can fight at all. You can be the tiniest character in a comedy series and still take on a super-powerful fighter and win, as long as the poses are right.

Example: Goku (Dragonball Z) vs Chiyo-chan (Azumanga Daioh)
- Goku begins powering up, while Chiyo kicks him in the knee. Freeze for pictures. (Remember, it can look like Chiyo is kicking Goku, but actually hitting the cosplayer is against the rules.)
- Goku fires a Kamehameha, and Chiyo ducks to avoid it. Freeze for pictures.
- Chiyo and Goku charge for one final attack. Freeze for pictures.
- Chiyo-chan wins! Goku lies defeated. Victory pose.
- Goku and Chiyo thank each other for a good, fun match, and the next competitors come up.

Please post if you are interested in joining, if you have any questions, and what days/times would be best for you.

(To any Fanime staff: If there is anything about this event that needs changing, please let me know, but rest assured that this is entirely safe. I can understand if calling it "Cosplay Battle" is worrying, but as I've stated many times, it's all posing, there is no actual fighting.)

Sign-ups have now begun!

Sign-Up List:

Saturday:
1. Firemage1000 - Genesis (Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core)
2. Joe - Alex Mercer (Prototype)
3. Rebeccakh - Nekomata (Shin Megami)
4. AnimefanJJ - William T. Spears (Kuroshitsuji)
5. Angelx624 - Stocking (Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt)
6. Maceroni - Death the Kid (Soul Eater)
7. keitoghostie - Mio Naganohara (Nichijou)
8. AbsolutelyCursed - Hei (Darker Than Black)
9. chaosord - Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)
10. scuryghost - Monoko (Yumme Nikki)
11. ZombieShoe - Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara)
12. flyingtoastr - Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)
13. Tabbychan - Mafia Miss Fortune (League of Legends)
14. shiyamiro - Ladd Russo (Baccano)
15. obliviousedward - Canada (Hetalia)
16. Friend of maceroni - some random robot guy
17. Foxberry - Sith OC (Star Wars)

Sunday:
1. Firemage1000 - Lunatic (Tiger & Bunny)
2. demetria656 - Ms. Fortune
3. Rebeccakh - Mia (.Hack//)
4. AnimefanJJ - Spain (Hetalia)
5. Angelx624 - Shouta Mitarai (Idolm@ster)
6. scuryghost - Nano (Nichijou)
7. ZombieShoe - Masky (Marble Hornets)
8. flyingtoastr - Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)
9. Ellis - Ellis (Left 4 Dead)
10. xichisex - Gumi (Vocaloid)
11. Foxberry - Sith OC (Star Wars)
Cosplay battle! Three-pose Fight
The works of Ken Akamatsu 2010
"Abridging a Series" Panel

Hope you can attend 'em!

BrightHeart76

Sounds like fun.  Depending on the day and what my final cosplays are I'd definately be interested. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

ToshiX

sounds quite silly and fun might just look into it of course if it isn't complicating the schedule
"When The Snow Melts, What Does It Become?"
"It Becomes Water"
Bzz" Bzz, Wrong It Becomes Spring Silly"
"Spring Is My Favorite Season Of All"

Cosplays
???

Eliteslayer

Given that the date and time is still undetermined, you guys can feel free to let me know what times are good for you. Of course, since we don't know when a lot of things are, it'll take a while before we can find a time that is good for everyone, but time is on my side.

Also, if anyone who signs up here has to leave early, they can let me know ahead of time and we'll have them go early on. For now, thank you both for your interest.

Hope you can attend 'em!

ruby19_4

That sounds.....FUN!! It will be very cool for pictures.

lunarknight

hmm, fascinating I'll look into it.

RyuSan777

hey AIZEN! maybe let me win a round eh hows that sound?
Fanime Cosplays
Day 1: Ootori Kyoya- Ouran HS Host Club,
Tsuchimi Rin-Shuffle!,Kiryu Zero-Vampire Knights
Day 2:Hitsugaya Toushiro *Bankai Form*- Bleach
Death the kid-Soul Eater, Zero-Code Geass
Day 3:Philipenes-Hetalia
Day 4:Kyon- The Meloncholy

obliviousedward

Sounds interesting!  I'm keeping my eye on this. ;D
Fanime '16 Cosplay:
To be announced...!

Eliteslayer

Quote from: RyuSan777 on July 22, 2009, 11:59:58 PM
hey AIZEN! maybe let me win a round eh hows that sound?

If you want to win, you'll have to work for it. Or be paired up against someone who doesn't mind losing. Or at least not be fooled by absolute hypnosis (bwahaha). Tho' since the day still isn't decided, it's possible that you'll just have to survive long enough to write someone's name in the Death Note. After all, I don't doubt that Kyoya carries one around.

And to everyone, thanks for your enthusiasm. Sounds like everyone's pretty clear on the rules, since there've been no questions, which is good. There's still a lot of time until next Fanime (which means we're gonna have to keep this thread alive for a long time, so please keep posting) so we won't have the time/day decided on until people actually know when works for them, nor will sign-ups begin, but please keep me updated on what times seem to be the best.

Hope you can attend 'em!

BunofGovt

I didn't see it mentioned, but if your cosplay includes a weapon or tool or device, would you be allowed to pose with it? 

And the poses do not have to be at a distance, but can be actually touching, e.g., Chiyo has Goku in a headlock?
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Eliteslayer

You would be allowed to pose with it, just so long as it's not used in any way that could harm the other cosplayers. Basically, aim where they're blocking, and even then, be careful. (Gotta make sure no one gets hurt, or else not only will there be no cosplay battle the year after, but I fear for my attendance at 2011.) The prop policy should ensure that the props are all safe, but even then, it's posing, so think of it as setting up for any other pose.

Same goes for actually touching. You can plant your fist in the other guy's stomach as long as you're not actually punching, and as long as both parties are okay with it. So Chiyo can have Goku in a headlock as long as it only looks like he's trapped in it, ie. she's not really choking him, and Goku is okay with being in a headlock.

Good questions, thank you for asking.

Hope you can attend 'em!

RyuSan777

eh i knew the rules aizen i was only kidding, besides dont you think itd be funny for aizen to lose to hitsugaya once?
Fanime Cosplays
Day 1: Ootori Kyoya- Ouran HS Host Club,
Tsuchimi Rin-Shuffle!,Kiryu Zero-Vampire Knights
Day 2:Hitsugaya Toushiro *Bankai Form*- Bleach
Death the kid-Soul Eater, Zero-Code Geass
Day 3:Philipenes-Hetalia
Day 4:Kyon- The Meloncholy

Eliteslayer

I know, and I was replying in an equally kidding manner, hence my joke about Aizen's absolute hypnosis. But yeah, it would be funny... "Now as he attempts to stab me, I'll just make an illusion so it appears like-" *stab* "Ah crud, I shouldn't have spent so long explaining what it was I was about to do."

Hope you can attend 'em!

ruby19_4

Lets just make an exciting cosplay battle. Gr.... Im still think which cosplay to do. :(

Eliteslayer

Okay, brief update, gonna run this by everyone to see if it makes sense and sounds fair.

Matchups will be decided by order of signing up. First come, first serve, and when you're up, you can chose your opponent or just face the next person on the list. However, if you chose your opponent, it cannot be someone from the same series as you unless they're characters who never have and never will fight.

I figure that this way we can get the most interesting matchups while still allowing people to have freedom in choosing who to face.

The exception is if you've worked out some epic fight poses with a friend ahead of time. If that's the case, then let me know, and I'll make sure you two get to face each other.

Does all this sound agreeable? I don't want to be especially restricting, but I want to be fair to the people that signed up early, and I want the matches to be unique and interesting.

Hope you can attend 'em!

Ryo_Hellsing

It definitely sounds fun and I do like the idea on the first come first serve along with the not fighting the same series character/ someone they would never fight. I will definitely keep my eye on this thread  :)

Eliteslayer

Alright, now that some more time has passed and some of the big gatherings are getting times and places set, I'd like to know what times and days people would prefer.

Logically, we'd have the most people on Days 2 and 3, and that's also when the big cosplay gatherings tend to be. So I want it to be at a time when those gatherings are over so we can catch cosplayers and photographers who are still looking for something to do once the epic scale gatherings are over.

Of course, many gatherings don't have a set time yet, which makes sense considering there's still many, many months to go, but at least the days are. So if there's a costume you know you're going to be wearing on one day that you want to use at this, then let me know what day that is.

Hope you can attend 'em!

ruby19_4

Sounds really good. Cant wait to hear more for those updates.

Kites-kun

narutofan17

Sweet. If I don't have to another gathering at that time then I would be willing to attend.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!