You think that the protesters will return next year.

Started by Mister_E, May 29, 2008, 11:53:15 PM

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: G.I.R on May 08, 2009, 02:54:47 AM
Quote from: BumbleB on May 07, 2009, 10:45:13 PM
We should get Haruhi Suzumiya and Light Yagami cosplayers (both "God")

A-hem.  May I suggest "Dogma" Cos-players?  You know, I'd love to see their reaction if Jay and Silent Bob Approached them.  :D
Ah Dogma...
The only movie I like more that has the Duo is Clerks.
Clerks was awesome.

I support this idea.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 08, 2009, 12:01:38 PM
Quote from: G.I.R on May 08, 2009, 02:54:47 AM
Quote from: BumbleB on May 07, 2009, 10:45:13 PM
We should get Haruhi Suzumiya and Light Yagami cosplayers (both "God")

A-hem.  May I suggest "Dogma" Cos-players?  You know, I'd love to see their reaction if Jay and Silent Bob Approached them.  :D
Ah Dogma...
The only movie I like more that has the Duo is Clerks.
Clerks was awesome.

I support this idea.

I support it as well! Lets go for it!

narutofan17

Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Danger

If a Dogma cosplay happens (which it won't) DIBS ON METATRON!!!!!!!

G.I.R

So,

... any signs of them yet?

Tenchi Fan

Quote from: G.I.R on May 23, 2009, 12:40:44 AM
So,

... any signs of them yet?

Not sure if it was the same guy but I saw someone trying to handout religious pamphlets/brochures between the fountains and the Marriott.

Tony

They were indeed there today.

There was even a bus!

I don't know if Jesus appeared, though.

In all honesty, what they're doing is legal, and unfortunately it'll be *us* who gets in trouble if we lose our cool. Just remember: Do not feed the trolls. They do this to all kinds of conventions indiscriminately. Don't let them win; don't let them rile you up.

Instead, snap a few happy pictures with them and Jesus!
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Lucifer Angel

I've been wondering what was up with them and everything?

Paul Who Ahh

Boom boom pow!

I headed outside for a free can of Amp and found myself here. Fun stuff.

I have no doubts they'll be back in 2010.

darkknightcecil

hey
guyss

i think they got arrested the day they came
haha.

Kamen Rider Tag

I don't think they were, but the cops definitely did show up to break up the chaos.

Also, props to whoever Rickrolled the protesters when the cops did show up. XD

Eurobeat King

they came back today.. not what i wanted to see on the last day of the con..  :P
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Tsu

Quote from: Paul Who Ahh on May 25, 2009, 06:03:03 AM
Boom boom pow!

I headed outside for a free can of Amp and found myself here. Fun stuff.

I have no doubts they'll be back in 2010.

Are you KIDDING? I can't believe the posture of that ass in the "Turn to jesus" shirt, up in that girl's face.  I admire her for staying her ground, but what the hell. It's bad enough they're swarming all over the front of the convention center, but to deliberately get in someone's face like that? Stupidly aggressive and repulsive.  Bastard.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Liquid

Props to the Fanime crowd for being understanding and kind towards Rovers staff during the return of the protestors on Monday. <3
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

deonchan

Quote from: Liquid on May 26, 2009, 08:48:16 AM
Props to the Fanime crowd for being understanding and kind towards Rovers staff during the return of the protestors on Monday. <3

QFT

And Tony's right guys per the SJPD, the preachers are well within the law. They also abide by the PD's demands. Apparently they show up for any large event at the SJCC. We're just another blip on the list. They were not arrested Saturday; they just left after the crowd was dispersed. Since things seemed to go right back to normal after this dispersion i.e – the tunka tunka dance by the internets I would say they are not that big of a deal anyways.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

BSaphire

This years group of "preachers"/"witness" people were rude, loud, uncaring, and thoughtless in my own opinion. I went out there to move the attendees out of the drop off area (prior to rovers being able to come out) and when I asked the attendees to turn down the music and listen to my request to please move back behind the cement pillars and out of the drop off area... well the attendees were AWESOME and did what I asked. I had to keep asking them though.. Not because they wouldn't do it... they couldn't HEAR me.

I also asked the Preacher Guy who was yelling that we were all sinners and needed to repent because only Jesus could save our souls....so on and so forth... just ignored my request for a moment to be heard so that the safety of the "supposed sinners" bodies could be insured as they were asked to move back behind the cement pillars at the drop off area.

The result was a huge strain to my voice.

A later conversation with the female holding the sign only proved that they were not listening to anyone who came up to them whom did not want to turn to Jesus for fear of burning in Hell.

The ensuing "witnessing" to the attendees proved to me disheartening. The stance of the "preacher" in the photo that was taken is just as it was commented to be. I too would like to thank all those that were out there during the demonstration who were very well behaved and listened to the Fanime staff (con ops, rovers and my staff I know were out there ^^)

I had three different parents who wanted to complain about the protesters to Fanime because they thought "WE (Fanime)" were not doing anything about it... I assured them that we were and the protesters were within their rights to stand and "witness" in that location. Each one left our conversation feeling annoyed by the protesters and more at ease knowing Fanime was doing all it could.

Is there anything we can do to stop this kind of behavior from them (the protesters) to us? If we are doing all that we can do... what else is there?
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Dagger-6

I would also like to join Calvin, Tyler, and BSaphire in thanking our attendees for cooperating with the convention staff.  I was thanking God that there was only one group refusing to move and insisting on yelling, which ironically was the group "preaching". 

I also thank Jesus, and hope he returns next year.

deonchan

Quote from: BSaphire on May 26, 2009, 11:43:27 AM
This years group of "preachers"/"witness" people were rude, loud, uncaring, and thoughtless in my own opinion. I went out there to move the attendees out of the drop off area (prior to rovers being able to come out) and when I asked the attendees to turn down the music and listen to my request to please move back behind the cement pillars and out of the drop off area... well the attendees were AWESOME and did what I asked. I had to keep asking them though.. Not because they wouldn't do it... they couldn't HEAR me.

I also asked the Preacher Guy who was yelling that we were all sinners and needed to repent because only Jesus could save our souls....so on and so forth... just ignored my request for a moment to be heard so that the safety of the "supposed sinners" bodies could be insured as they were asked to move back behind the cement pillars at the drop off area.

The result was a huge strain to my voice.

A later conversation with the female holding the sign only proved that they were not listening to anyone who came up to them whom did not want to turn to Jesus for fear of burning in Hell.

The ensuing "witnessing" to the attendees proved to me disheartening. The stance of the "preacher" in the photo that was taken is just as it was commented to be. I too would like to thank all those that were out there during the demonstration who were very well behaved and listened to the Fanime staff (con ops, rovers and my staff I know were out there ^^)

I had three different parents who wanted to complain about the protesters to Fanime because they thought "WE (Fanime)" were not doing anything about it... I assured them that we were and the protesters were within their rights to stand and "witness" in that location. Each one left our conversation feeling annoyed by the protesters and more at ease knowing Fanime was doing all it could.

Is there anything we can do to stop this kind of behavior from them (the protesters) to us? If we are doing all that we can do... what else is there?

B,

Bald Mike and I spoke with the SJPD that responded to the call on Saturday. We were both informed that they preachers were well within the law and 1st amendment. Also keep in mind that where they were is considered public property and not con grounds...

AKA - We got nothin'

Though they may not listen to us (con staff) they definitely fell in line when SJ's finest arrived. These guys know how to play the game and they play it well. The best thing we can do it ultimately ignore them. Remember:

QuotePsalm 58:3-5 (King James Version)
3The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
4Their poison is like the poison of a serpent: they are like the deaf adder that stoppeth her ear;
5Which will not hearken to the voice of charmers, charming never so wisely.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

JohnnyAR

Funny little chat my friend and some girl got in with a protester...

Girl: I go to church and that doesn't make me a sinner.

Protester: I go to starbucks and that doesn't make me a coffee.

Friend: I go to a anime convention that doesn't make me a cartoon.

The protesters logic didn't make sense. Oh and another said to my friend that he will dance in his blood afer or when armageddon comes, ask NickZebra he was there when it happend. I'm guessing they're protestant because they had a sign that said catholics are evil.

I love these guys...

Enkai

Quote from: deonchan on May 26, 2009, 01:07:12 PM

Though they may not listen to us (con staff) they definitely fell in line when SJ's finest arrived. These guys know how to play the game and they play it well. The best thing we can do it ultimately ignore them. Remember:

QuotePsalm 58:3-5 (King James Version)
3The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
4Their poison is like the poison of a serpent: they are like the deaf adder that stoppeth her ear;
5Which will not hearken to the voice of charmers, charming never so wisely.

QFT.  One good aspect of being locked in my room most of the day dealing with masquerade stuff is that I didn't have to deal with these bozos.  I think most of my friends have heard my ranting (and I can tell my tone of voice changes markedly when talking about these guys), and they know that this group sickens me more than it does any of them.  Whatever happened to showing God's love to others by showing you know, God's love?   Not trying to scare people.  Makes me sick.  And they came back Monday?  >.<