Panels and Workshops for 2009!!

Started by BenihimeSama, June 01, 2008, 10:18:04 PM

BenihimeSama

Although we already have a panel one for 2008, I hate to say it but FANIME IS OVER!!!

:'(

But alas, the work towards 2009 has begun! Any new topics or recommendations for panels you would like to see @ Fanime 2009 can please go here! Start talking, who knows? Some one may have the idea to make a new panel for the lineup!!

The Printed Otakus 2009 Panel Lineup--Updated 1/5/09

1) The Death Note Conversations--BACK FOR A SECOND YEAR!!! All with more fun and games and dare I say it.. Bobbing for Apples??

2) Your Otaku Business 101 and 201--Coming back with all new information and ideas to make your business even greater than before!!

3) The Ultimate Pairings Panel!!--Bring your favorite pairings and tell us why we should make your choices the Ultimate Anime/Manga Pairing!!

4) Animes You Should Watch Besides Bleach and Naruto--Don't get us wrong, we love those two series. But it's time we add some more diversity to your otaku lineup, this panel will be designed to showcase series that came in under the radar, but are totally worth your money!!

5) Otakudom 101
---Have you ever wondered where this term came from and why it has such powerful meaning in the anime/manga community? This panel is designed to teach all those who have no idea, and make them realize that Otakudom is not a bad thing at all!

6) THE ULTIMATE DEVIANT ART PANEL!!--Although this is not an official DA supported meeting, we are going to be having a panel for those who wish to join the DA world, what is new about the DA world, or want to know more about it! Artists, come on down and exchange cards and meet those you have been fans of and get to know even more than planned!

7) How To Host Your Own Japanese Tea Ceremony!
--Wanna learn an awesome way to celebrate Tea, Otakudom, and Culture all at the same time? Wanna impress your friends with your warm hospitality? Learn the art of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, and show your grace and posture! Great for Cosplayers to learn how so you can have some awesome new photos in their cosplay portfolio.

Got any more fun ones like these? Submit them here!! The more the merrier!!
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008
Panels Staff Member since 2010
Proud member of Rena's Rangers! 

Owner of The Geeky Manifestos Blog
Just admit it: Otakus just do it better.

yumicchi88

COSPLAY CONSTRUCTION PANEL!!!
I missed it this year! and my friend said it was awsome!

We should have more panels like we had this year like karaoke with Hidenobu Kiuchi.
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

bluechokobo

since my partner and I had an awesome time this year Panda Cubed is planning on coming back

Here are some of the panels we are thinking of doing. Of course with Programming's approval

Jpop - a brand new installment of what you should be listening to in Jpop.  We'll have some new bands and possible throw in something older.
Jrock - a brand new installment of what you should be listening to in Jrock.  We'll have some new bands and possible throw in something older.
Kpop - a brand new installment of what you should be listening to in Kpop.  I'm pretty sure my partner will also find enough boy bands to make all the girls forget there is singing going on.
You're Anime Sucks is like a must since we get to tell you why your anime sucks.  We're trying to think up some changes.
Lost Treasures - I probably went way to much old school last time so I think I'll try to put a little more recent stuff in. We'll have a new crop of anime that has been forgotten or lost on the shelf on your local stores.
Manga - It's more then Ninja's and Pirates - I'm not sure if we are going to do this one again yet. If we do it again, we'll have new magna that goes beyond your typical ninja/young shonen power up story.
Why Girls Love Sentai - We had a lot of fun doing this so I'm sure we'll do it again.  We've thought up some changes so expect a slightly different panel.  Next year will also have some new shows to talk about.

I'm also debating on maybe doing a Gundam Universe panel or How to get in shape for cosplay panel.  I've been doing a really hard boot camp class and I'm learning lots so depending on how things go with that I may add that to the list.  Just for the record the Getting in shape for cosplay won't be 60 minutes of exercise.  Even though that would be hella fun to do, I don't think we could get enough equipment to use. 

heeroyuy135

Here's one that I thought of in lieu of my success as a convention blogger:

So You Want To Be A Convention Blogger - Have you ever thought of reporting from a con, but you don't know how to start or don't have those "connections?" Start a blog! Here, I'll show you the basics of creating your new blog, how to post content, and how to drive attendees to your blog - before, during, and after the convention. If you get lucky, I might make you one myself!

Dorimon

I would love a panel on Japanese food, it's history & how to make them  ;D.

questionette

Quote from: Dorimon on June 04, 2008, 05:51:20 PM
I would love a panel on Japanese food, it's history & how to make them  ;D.

OOOoOoh me too!

Kaura117

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on June 02, 2008, 07:18:07 PM
Here's one that I thought of in lieu of my success as a convention blogger:

So You Want To Be A Convention Blogger - Have you ever thought of reporting from a con, but you don't know how to start or don't have those "connections?" Start a blog! Here, I'll show you the basics of creating your new blog, how to post content, and how to drive attendees to your blog - before, during, and after the convention. If you get lucky, I might make you one myself!

...dear Eris. People actually need to be taught how to blog? It's not even professional journalism! You just, quite literally, ambush people. Preferably with questions! Hell, journalists wouldn't be journalists if this was intrinsically difficult. Bring a recorder so you can get accurate quotes (forgot mine this year- what a pain).

Then you crack open a minty fresh blog account- wordpress is popular- and you write about it. If writing is the difficult part for you, I recommend taking an English class, not a con panel.

Do you really think we need a two-hour panel bloc for this?

Edit: On the other hand, I'd support a J-rock recommendation panel. Need more guitar riffs, plzkthx.

Dragon Ninja

I have an idea for a panel about American Anime, we talk about it in general and about some of its works like Avatar, The Boondocks, The Animatrix, etc.

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

questionette

I didn't go to any panels this year...and this was my first year...but I have an ideaa

What if we made a panel that specialized in japanese fashion? It could showcase some stuff (not fashion show status but yeah) and discuss what the trends are :D

Kaura117

Quote from: questionette on June 04, 2008, 09:04:50 PM
I didn't go to any panels this year...and this was my first year...but I have an ideaa

What if we made a panel that specialized in japanese fashion? It could showcase some stuff (not fashion show status but yeah) and discuss what the trends are :D

This = interesting.

heeroyuy135

Kaura117

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on June 04, 2008, 11:21:53 PM
Quote from: Kaura117 on June 04, 2008, 06:08:43 PM
what I said
what Kaura117 said
...wow, I never thought of it in that light. Time to scrap that idea.

...oy, oy. Don't back down so easily. Well, we talked about it over AIM already, I guess- up to you.

yumicchi88

Hidden Anime Masterpiece

there are many anime that is not popular like naruto or Bleach, but a great series that all people should watch!
get suggestions and show like a part of 1st episode of some series, and state the story line?

I donno, jus an idea

heeroyuy135

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 04, 2008, 11:52:41 PM
Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on June 04, 2008, 11:21:53 PM
Quote from: Kaura117 on June 04, 2008, 06:08:43 PM
what I said
what Kaura117 said
...wow, I never thought of it in that light. Time to scrap that idea.
...oy, oy. Don't back down so easily. Well, we talked about it over AIM already, I guess- up to you.
It's alright. Besides, no hosting panel = more time at con = more reporting!

Kaura117

Quote from: yumicchi88 on June 05, 2008, 02:38:24 PM
Hidden Anime Masterpiece

there are many anime that is not popular like naruto or Bleach, but a great series that all people should watch!
get suggestions and show like a part of 1st episode of some series, and state the story line?

I donno, jus an idea

Indie anime, perhaps? The best stuff NOT to come out of the major studios? ...'course, we then have to define "major studios," but I don't foresee that being too difficult.

BenihimeSama

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 05, 2008, 03:18:11 PM
Hidden Anime Masterpiece

I donno, jus an idea

Indie anime, perhaps? The best stuff NOT to come out of the major studios? ...'course, we then have to define "major studios," but I don't foresee that being too difficult.

*pokes both quoters to our panel list* We intend also to do indie anime series as well!  But it's kinda funny, anime is mostly a "indie" style. Since anime is totally a niche market. However, I see your point, that it should be series from well known anime companies.
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008

Kaura117

Quote from: BenihimeSama on June 06, 2008, 12:55:11 AM
Hidden Anime Masterpiece

I donno, jus an idea

*pokes both quoters to our panel list* We intend also to do indie anime series as well!  But it's kinda funny, anime is mostly a "indie" style. Since anime is totally a niche market. However, I see your point, that it should be series from well known anime companies.

....noooononono. Not my point at all. My point is that there should be a panel showcasing anime not produced by well-known anime companies. Indie anime. Niche market or not, you still have major players like KyoAni, Gainax, Studio DEEN and the like hogging the majority of the viewing public's attention, with independent artists or firms falling to the wayside more often than not.

There are, however, some glorious exceptions to this rule. Makoto Shinkai's "Voices of a Distant Star" comes to mind almost immediately- the entire thing was created on his Macintosh computer!

BenihimeSama

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 06, 2008, 07:53:26 AM
Quote from: BenihimeSama on June 06, 2008, 12:55:11 AM
Hidden Anime Masterpiece

I donno, jus an idea

....noooononono. Not my point at all. My point is that there should be a panel showcasing anime not produced by well-known anime companies. Indie anime. Niche market or not, you still have major players like KyoAni, Gainax, Studio DEEN and the like hogging the majority of the viewing public's attention, with independent artists or firms falling to the wayside more often than not.

There are, however, some glorious exceptions to this rule. Makoto Shinkai's "Voices of a Distant Star" comes to mind almost immediately- the entire thing was created on his Macintosh computer!

*nods and takes a note for panel*

Dude, I LOVE MAKOTO SHINKAI! I have everything that he has done so far! Those for sure are on our list. WE also have some unkown Hayao Miyaski, as well as some current stuff like Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Grave of Fireflies, and other old school hits.
Venus Benihime-Sama
Panelist Since 2008

yumicchi88

oMG i love his artworks!! Shinkai sann~~~
I wonder (most unlikely) if he can be our guest of honor next year....

Kaura117

Quote from: yumicchi88 on June 06, 2008, 01:05:39 PM
oMG i love his artworks!! Shinkai sann~~~
I wonder (most unlikely) if he can be our guest of honor next year....

...blast his inbox until he submits out of desperation. >=D