Other conventions?

Started by protocol7, June 04, 2008, 10:30:11 AM

Kandybar

Yeah, I'm aware.  I've been stalking them for a couple of months, but it's just recently that I figured out I'd be able to go.  Thanks, though.  :)

Jerry

Cons within California worth mentioning: (found on www.cosplay.com)

Jul 3-6  Anime Expo
Los Angeles Convention Center Los Angeles, California

Jul 24-27  Comic-Con International
San Diego Convention Center San Diego, CA

Aug 2-3  Ani-Jam
Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Fresno, California

Aug 29-31  SacAnime
Scottish Rtie Center Sacramento, CA

Sep 26-28  Yaoicon
Marriott San Mateo-San Francisco Airport San Francisco, California
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still debating whether or not to join some friends for AX but i've heard a mixed bag of comments... mostly good and its all about making the most of the con rather than complain all the time :P that its an EXPO not a Con... big difference.

I went to Comic Con back in 2003 and it was freaking EPIC. This year I'm going after all this time I'm excited even tho I'm only going for 1 day. :P

I've never been to Ani-Jam but have heard of it... Anyone been to it?
I've heard of Frenso.... whats out there?  ???

and of course...  ;D Yaoicon... what more could i say?
"Cover your end?" that sounds about right you sexy bishies out there ;)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

DemonLordZabuza

Cons attending:
-AX, because Im not a pansy and scared of the location.
-Yaoicon, Im bored so I'll attend it
-Sac-anime, depending on the date...even though I think Im not allowed to go there ???...if not I could always spend some time with the Familia in Sacramento, havent seen some of them for a while.

Ummm, I think thats it.

Maybe next year I'll go to Comic-con

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

Kandybar

What day are you going to Comic Con, Jerry?  I'm thinking I'll go Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun.

RyuHayabusa

This is not a con per say, but it'll be happening in a couple of weeks. I'll be attending so...

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=124309

NorCal Cosplay Picnic 2008 :3
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Shinsengumi

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on June 05, 2008, 12:34:34 PM
This is not a con per say, but it'll be happening in a couple of weeks. I'll be attending so...

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=124309

NorCal Cosplay Picnic 2008 :3

Ohh yeah I heard about this, I'm not 100% sure yet if I'm going
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Jerry

Quote from: Kandybar on June 05, 2008, 12:18:31 PM
What day are you going to Comic Con, Jerry?  I'm thinking I'll go Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun.

I hoped you pre-regged online! DO IT NOW OR DO IT SOON!
THERE WILL BE NO ON-SITE SIGN UPS THIS YEAR!

I'm regged for Friday, our group decided against saturday because they didnt want to get lost in the SEA of rabid 55000+ fans.

if you want to give me a ring or send me a text if you want to meet up randomly.
My number is every where on this board :P or pm me.

G.I.R

If you're going on Friday, be sure to stay late and see Jerry Becks "Worst Cartoons Ever", and Spike and Mikes "Sick and Twisted Animation".

Jerry

Quote from: G.I.R on June 06, 2008, 08:22:23 AM
If you're going on Friday, be sure to stay late and see Jerry Becks "Worst Cartoons Ever", and Spike and Mikes "Sick and Twisted Animation".

I remember that from 2003! that was some good S@#!

Kandybar

No worries, I am pre-regged and so forth.  I shall be in contact!

And it turns out I'm in Michigan the weekend of AX so I guess that's a no-go.

Jerry

Quote from: Kandybar on June 06, 2008, 08:33:55 AM
No worries, I am pre-regged and so forth.  I shall be in contact!

And it turns out I'm in Michigan the weekend of AX so I guess that's a no-go.

Yeah, I'm definately NOT working so I'll be a WAY better mood. and again sorry for being scary @ FanimeCon  :-[

I really am a random fun-loving fanboy.  ;)

Kandybar

^ Nah, you weren't scary, just busy.  :P

Evangelion Xgouki

I usually end up attending just Fanime, Yaoi Con (kinda-sorta staff as a Bishie), and Animation on Display a.k.a. AoD (as Registration Head).  Though now I'm debating of going to Otakon this year to see JAM Project...urg $500+ in airfare....

Trumby

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 04, 2008, 05:52:55 PM
Quote from: questionette on June 04, 2008, 05:48:37 PM
I heard that AX isn't much fun as fanime because the people are more snooty about costumes and stuff...is this true??

I highly doubt it. Cosplay dramu is unanimous, period. I did hear that AX is overall a more "corporate" event than Fanime, though. That, and coupled with AX's choice in location this year, kinda makes it a lower priority for me.

Just look at the name..it is an expo, not a con. That there means corporate by itself. AX has never really interested me because of that very thing.

The only other con I know for sure I am going to this year is Kumoricon. I might be going to AUSA again this year, depends on if I want to spend the money on the plane tickets.
Fanime cosplays (if I can make it..!)
Snowtrooper (Star Wars)
Greed (FMA)
Random pirate
Kurosaki Isshin (working on it now)

Raydere

Not going to Anime Expoo this year, due to its location this year.

Was thinking about Comic Con since my friends from the Ace Attorney gathering are going, but now passes are sold out. =/

I was contemplaying SacAnime and Con-X-Treme, but both of them decided to take place after my fall semester begins this late August. Argh! On top of that, CXT is in San Mateo this year, whereas last year it was in SJ.

However, I have one last plan up my sleeve: California Extreme. It's not a con per se, it's more of an expo for classic arcade and pinball games.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

G.I.R

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on June 10, 2008, 08:10:02 AM
Was thinking about Comic Con since my friends from the Ace Attorney gathering are going, but now passes are sold out. =/

Only the four day passes are sold out.  Individual day passes are still available.

OniCourseMusha

I need to give a call to Bart boy regarding the picnic since I live around the area.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

heeroyuy135

I was planning to go to AX, but then I found out I wouldn't have enough for AX after Fanime.

Quote from: My Blog
My plan to not stay a hotel but stay at relatives didn't go through, and the opportunity cost to stay at a hotel is WAY too expensive. Honestly, $125 a night for myself is WAY too expensive, not to mention $170+ to fly up and down from Sac to LA and another $55 to register. That would come out to $665 just on those three things. My Fanime budget is around $750 [which went down to $650], and that includes spending cash for dealers room. The $665 doesn't include dealers room money, fees for photoshoots, food costs, and everything else that I figured already in the Fanime budget.

tl;dr AX flight, hotel & reg = everything @ Fanime

...and right now I'm broke. At this point, the next gatherings would be at the Nor-Cal Cosplay Picnic, the Gourmet Race #3, and Sac-Anime in August. I do have plans to attend Yaoi Con just to get an experience for it.

neko ewen

I'm going to be attending AX, Comic-Con, and GenCon Indy this year. I have never attended so many cons in one year, and I don't think I want to make a habit of it. ^_^; For better or for worse I have professional reasons for attending all three.

That said I might go to Sac-Anime, if only because I have a friend who lives in Sacramento who I hardly get to see... But it is around the end of August.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

mDuo13

Quote from: Glitch on June 04, 2008, 11:00:25 AM
Other conventions? Wait, you mean there are other places besides fanime?
ketsuron.