Death Note live action remake USA?

Started by Barnes, June 05, 2008, 12:03:07 AM

Barnes

I just found this:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-06-02/vertigo-entertainment-developing-u.s-death-note-remake

I hope it's better than the first Japanese live action film, imo.
Or better yet, read the manga. XD
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Kazuko

Im hoping that its better than the Japanese version also

it was TOO LULZY

though tatsuya Fujiwara made a great raito because hes the only one who can do weird faces imo and Keni'chi made a cute L

Rei-Rei

Shinsengumi

I heard the live action movies were ok, but a english remake I have a bad feeling about this  :-\
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

PyronIkari

Quote from: Shinsengumi on June 05, 2008, 02:08:48 PM
I heard the action movies were ok, but a english remake I have a bad feeling about this  :-\

If anything it will be far better than the JP live actions. The JP live actions were horribly done and directed. With a budget of like... 80$. The acting was good... in some cases, but that's all about.

US version, even if they alter the story... it's not like the JP LA's didn't alter the story. So basiccally, it'll be a movie with more production value, and more resources.

Shinsengumi

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 05, 2008, 02:20:20 PM
Quote from: Shinsengumi on June 05, 2008, 02:08:48 PM
I heard the action movies were ok, but a english remake I have a bad feeling about this  :-\

If anything it will be far better than the JP live actions. The JP live actions were horribly done and directed. With a budget of like... 80$. The acting was good... in some cases, but that's all about.

US version, even if they alter the story... it's not like the JP LA's didn't alter the story. So basiccally, it'll be a movie with more production value, and more resources.

Well that's true, well let's see what happens when it come outs
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

JohnnyAR

I just hope Hollywood doesn't fuck the plot up like previous movies based on anime, video games, and whatnot *cough*Dragonball*cough*

Barnes

Quote from: Rei-Rei on June 05, 2008, 11:24:35 AM
It's going to be in English..... =(

I don't even know how to respond to that.  ::)
*Face falls on his desk* DUH!
Quote from: PyronIkari on June 05, 2008, 02:20:20 PM
Thank you.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

JohnnyAR

yes it will be, just hope no super famous celebrities are in it.

Like this guy

Quote from: Dragon Ninja on May 30, 2008, 11:08:38 PM

PyronIkari

Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 05, 2008, 04:18:14 PM
I just hope Hollywood doesn't fuck the plot up like previous movies based on anime, video games, and whatnot *cough*Dragonball*cough*

And Japan has a better track record? I'm curious though.. what did Hollywood screw up in terms of Anime? Speed Racer was done rather well. They didn't change the plot... and really, it was Speed Racer, only updated and for a newer generation.Dragon Ball isn't even out yet... people can criticize and say it'll suck, and frankly it probably will, but... tell me... where's Japan's superior version?

People need to stop sucking Japan's little balls.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 05, 2008, 07:07:22 PM

And Japan has a better track record? I'm curious though.. what did Hollywood screw up in terms of Anime? Speed Racer was done rather well. They didn't change the plot... and really, it was Speed Racer, only updated and for a newer generation.Dragon Ball isn't even out yet... people can criticize and say it'll suck, and frankly it probably will, but... tell me... where's Japan's superior version?

I never said Speed Racer sucked, I haven't even seen it yet. I would have to say that Hollywood messed up badly on the Guyver live action (even though its not of this generation) and I didn't think that the Death Note live action was worth watching a second time, I didn't like it very much.

I don't think Japan is so great. My teacher told me how Japan is like when he lived there, now I feel a little thankful living in this country. But I still want to go there for a year.

PyronIkari

None of the crap you people say make sense.

Why wouldn't you want famous celebrities to be in it? Zach Efron isn't THAT famous. He's famous amongst a younger audience, but what major things has he done outside of that? Hair Spray?

Have you watched the old JP LA Guyver? Once more... you act as if Japan's LA productions are any better(HINT... THEY'RE uSUALLY WORSE).

BrightHeart76

I just don't understand why anyone wants to make a live action adaptation.  Rarely does an animated show or graphic novel translate well to live action.  No matter how good the writters, actors, special effects wizards or anyone else is.  If the story contains something otherworldly it just doesn't look right when it's adapted for a live action movie. (Please understand, I am a woman who still says that the Harry Potter movies should have been animated.)

Death Note has the added problem that it's been done too many different ways.  There's the manga way, the novel way, the anime way, the Japanese live action way and now an American live action way.  Please God tell me there's not a Death Note Musical in the works.  It's just too much in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong.  I love Death Note.  I like the moral questions it brings up.  I love L (I go back to my Sherlock Holmes obsession with him) and Light is such a warped mind it's interesting to see him work.  The way religion weaves its way into the story is really neat (for lack of a better word). I just don't see the need to make another version of the story when there are so many avaiable already.

But that's just my opinion.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Kazuko

Zac Efferon would make a hot raito lolol to quote Perez Hilton..."She Deserves it!"

But personally popular or new actors as long as the acting and if special effects are used then the movie's sure to be a hit. Look at The Strangers it looks a tad low budget (well in my opinion it is) but It still is a very good movie, Despite the only actress's I knew who were in it were Gemma Ward and Liv Tyler.

@Brightheart: sometimes the stories in book to live action have to be shortened due to time constraints and also what can be shown and what cant, also to fit into one of the MPAA's Rating Categories. Personally I would love to sit through a 7 hour harry potter movie if its going to cover any detail but It really isnt going to happen right? (well lord of the rings is a different Story) Or an acurate film for the Novel Memoirs of a Geisha (I read that book so many times waay before the film came out)

Im just hoping really that the US adaption surpases the JP version in terms of production value.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 05, 2008, 08:00:31 PM
Have you watched the old JP LA Guyver? Once more... you act as if Japan's LA productions are any better(HINT... THEY'RE uSUALLY WORSE).

I had no idea that there was a JP live action version of Guyver, but I assume that its worse?

Chun

The USA usually succeeds in the horror/dark genre, so I have some hopes for it.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

mDuo13

Regardless of the country of origin, my opinion regarding this is the same as my opinion of all live-action remakes of anime, which has been expressed elsewhere.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 05, 2008, 07:07:22 PM

Its true, American Movie's usually have FAR larger budgets compared to other nations. Theres no japanese live action movie I can think of (rather it be based off an anime or not) that amounts to the level of Hollywood Titles.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Is there something wrong with that?

Its not like theres going to be out-of-sink voices and lips, its live action.

The quality should be better than the Japanese one.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 05, 2008, 08:00:31 PM
None of the crap you people say make sense.

Why wouldn't you want famous celebrities to be in it? Zach Efron isn't THAT famous. He's famous amongst a younger audience, but what major things has he done outside of that? Hair Spray?

I would want Famous people in the movie, well I wouldn't care. I don't really care for celebrities. But I'm certainly not against it.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.