anime expo 2008 moves to da hood

Started by RyuHayabusa, June 06, 2008, 12:38:41 AM

RyuHayabusa

I just read this and man, it's a good thing I'm not going to Anime Expo this year. I lol'ed hard at the article, but man, it's so freaking true as well. Here, read it and laugh or weep at it:

http://www.condrama.org/2008/06/anime-expo-2008-moves-to-da-hood.html

if any of you guys go, bring your bulletproof vests, an ak-47 and lots of weapons. :3
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Shinsengumi

Thank god I'm not going and if I do, I would bring some weapons along with a bulletproff vests lol
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Jerry

I'm sure AX goers will be fine. Course if I'm wrong I'd be uspet.
but if you're going down to LA to start something... there are always conequences.

I DO wish for everyone's safety and just be aware of your surroundings.
Heck I might be going (if i ever make up my mind) and I'm not fearful for my life.

Then again its because I'm Cool like that.  8)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

videogirlc

Funny i didn't think the area was that bad when I used to go there for E3. I even walked to and from my hotel which was a good couple of blocks away. I honestly think people are overreating, especially since this isn't the only event that has been held at that convention center.

Barnes

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on June 06, 2008, 12:38:41 AM
I just read this and man, it's a good thing I'm not going to Anime Expo this year. I lol'ed hard at the article, but man, it's so freaking true as well. Here, read it and laugh or weep at it:

if any of you guys go, bring your bulletproof vests, an ak-47 and lots of weapons. :3
LOL, omg, I can't help but laugh.
So, what would be a GOOD location for AX anyway considering it's size and whatnot?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

protocol7

Considering it appears that not one other review exists there, was created in May, and has only 11 profile views.. Kinda just an anti-AX site for now
FanimeCons resident zombie.
*I* MADE this happen!

G.I.R

Quote from: Barnes on June 06, 2008, 09:43:48 AM

So, what would be a GOOD location for AX anyway considering it's size and whatnot?

Well, there really wasn't anything wrong with the Anaheim CC.   

Maybe they could go back to the LAX Hilton.  ::)

BrightHeart76

I don't go to AX, so it doesn't affect me any way.

I'm just reminded of my families reaction when I told them about where Fanime was.  Have I mentioned that my family is from San Jose (Campbell specifically) and I was raised there till I was about 8?  Yeah, well when I told them where Fanime was held they ALL flipped out and told me it was a bad area and suggested I make sure I was secure and bring pepper spray.  I've been to Fanime for 3 years now and I've never felt less than safe.

I'm sure the location of AX isn't as scary as people are making it out to be either.  I'm looking forward to hearing from people after the event, see how they feel about the location. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

protocol7

Quote from: G.I.R on June 06, 2008, 12:26:11 PM
Quote from: Barnes on June 06, 2008, 09:43:48 AM

Well, there really wasn't anything wrong with the Anaheim CC.   

Maybe they could go back to the LAX Hilton.  ::)

Anaheim said no more once they broke 30,000 :( I miss that place
*I* MADE this happen!

Super No 1

Looking at that page, there are some big exaggerations from both sides.  There's a lot of truth bending going on.

It's not a great neighborhood.  It's "bum central", but most are harmless.  It's the ones with mental problems that you have to worry about.  I don't think getting shot is too big of a concern.  Add to it that most of the hotels are many blocks away and the lack of affordable eateries within walking distance.  It's just a very bad combination.

FYI, I live in LA.   I went to USC, which is about a mile down the road from LA Convention Center, and lived on campus for 4 years.  I don't go to AX for various reasons, mainly because I don't like dealing with their staff.
Nergene A.
-super-no1.com - (Owner)
-J!-ENT - (Staff Photographer)
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)

Kazuko

LOL south central, I remember going to the LA convention center back in like 96 Moris cerulo conference.

Spanish Is key to get by folks!

otakuapprentice

I'm so not going, i don't care what you say to temp me; if its not in Anaheim, then fuck AX.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

JTchinoy

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

heeroyuy135

Fanime > AX

BTW, what was the real reason AX left Anaheim?

Chewie

That article was stupid.

I live in Modesto. 250k people. Granted, not Los Angeles with 10 million people or even San Jose almost a million but lets get to the point.

I live in one of the nicest, safest neighborhoods here and I am a 3 minute WALK from one of the worst, crime infested, run down, homeless seething neighborhoods within 100 miles. Not to mention we're basically the meth capital of the world. People still let their kids play outside until dusk and there aren't any bars on the windows.

That article is being blown out of proportion and all it's attempting to do is scare people away from AX.

mDuo13

Los Angeles is where dreams go to die. This was confirmed several times over my spring break this year when we attempted to visit it.

I can confirm that it's not entirely unsafe to go walking around the area where AX will be held this year, but compared to San Jose or even Anaheim, it is much, much more questionable.

PyronIkari

Eh... of course the article is blown out of proportion. That's the only thing that makes it legitimately readable.

There are a lot of real issues, but it's not that it's "unsafe" and "In the ghetto". Realistically the convention is in a pretty safe area.

The issue is that, where you are staying... may not be in a safe area.

Look, E3 was held at the LA Con Center for years, and I went for most of them. Parking, going to the convention center, that's no problem. It's really safe there's lots of cops everywhere, and it's always fine.

Walk 4 blocks from the convention center, and that's where it gets a little more shady. If you're staying at a hotel that's kinda far, there's no guarantee that you might not get targeted to be mugged. Now, this is different than what most people are saying about how you're going to get shot and killed. You're not in gang territory or anything like that. You won't get hit by stray bullets, and there won't be gang fights every night. But you are still in downtown LA NEAR an area that brings in a lot of toursts/money. Basically, just be careful not to get mugged and be in big groups. Don't walk around your hotel outside late at night, and in general you'll be fine.

The con itself will be safe, just be careful around your hotel...

It'd be like... if you went on a trip anywhere. Don't be stupid and don't do retarded stuff.

Chewie

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 08, 2008, 12:15:14 PM
It'd be like... if you went on a trip anywhere. Don't be stupid and don't do retarded stuff.

QFT.

protocol7

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on June 08, 2008, 01:13:57 AM
Fanime > AX

What I've been told is that Anaheim told them they had to limit their attendees to 30,000 or so, AX refuses to put a cap on total attendees. From what I see, despite being a "non-profit" convention, they sure love bringing in money.
*I* MADE this happen!

Kazuko

Quote from: protocol7 on June 08, 2008, 11:41:24 PM
Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on June 08, 2008, 01:13:57 AM
Fanime > AX

What I've been told is that Anaheim told them they had to limit their attendees to 30,000 or so, AX refuses to put a cap on total attendees. From what I see, despite being a "non-profit" convention, they sure love bringing in money.
there are many stories to why its not at anaheim anymore such as Shriners bought them out of the usage of the center, They got kicked out, Shriners using it for a couple of years ect

who knows