oragnize major events better?

Started by shy-cosplayer, June 17, 2008, 07:43:53 AM

shy-cosplayer

My first year at fanime was incredible, but I had come across some dilemmas over the weekend. For example, the black and white ball intervened with the masquerade... Well I guess that's the only thing I came acoss, but I had to make a decision on if I wanted to go to the masquerade or the ball. I ended up going to the masquerade, but I'm suggesting that next year, the ball could be held on Friday?

PyronIkari

Quote from: shy-cosplayer on June 17, 2008, 07:43:53 AM
My first year at fanime was incredible, but I had come across some dilemmas over the weekend. For example, the black and white ball intervened with the masquerade... Well I guess that's the only thing I came acoss, but I had to make a decision on if I wanted to go to the masquerade or the ball. I ended up going to the masquerade, but I'm suggesting that next year, the ball could be held on Friday?

Then people would complain about it being held on friday. No matter when ANYTHING is scheduled, someone will complain about it because it will interfere with something else they want to do. Think about it. Many con attendees don't show up until late late friday night or saturday, because they have work, or school, or other things. How many people would complain about a Friday schedule because they don't have time to get to the con, get a badge, get their room, change and make it?

And this title is rather insulting. Organize major events better? HOW? How do you think people could organize it to make it better, keeping into consideration the possible negative effects of the change you want to make.

Atleast think about what would happen before you state it.

Jerry

For once I agree with Pyron.

there ALOT of effort that goes into Masquerade. Not even Dealers are 100% set up for Dealers room (on Friday) and you expect a 4 hour+ show that NEEDS a dress rehearsal to be ready by Friday night?

Improbable at best. again considering most ppl will be available on Sat Sunday, you just have to deal with doubling up on major events.

Life is tough because you have to make choices.
Please dont think you have all the 'easy' answers 
I know i dont.  :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Keys

The Masquerade was on Saturday night.
The Black & White Ball was on Sunday night.

jemz

Quote from: shy-cosplayer on June 17, 2008, 07:43:53 AM

Having the ball on a Friday is not logistically impossible. However, holding it on a Friday, you would cut off any possibilities of holding the dance lessons all weekend and people who wanted to attend those lessons wouldn't get a chance to. Also, by it being on a Friday night, what if you wanted to wear your costume to the ball? But what if your costume isn't quite ready yet and you still want it to be nice and perfect for the Masquerade because your group is entering and you don't want it to get ripped on Friday night at the ball?

These are some of the many logistical questions we think about when we start scheduling events and start planning things.

This year, the Masquerade was held on  Saturday. The Black and White Ball was held on Sunday. The dance lessons for the Black and White Ball were held throughout the weekend.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

Shi_Musouka

I think that one of the things to take into consideration for all anime cons is that because there are so many diverse events going on all at the same time and that because the bigger events keep expanding and newer, bigger, popular events keep generating every year, there's going to be a point where they can't fit them all in as flawlessly as they used to. With most of these giant, extravagant events already occupying a huge evening timeslot for the whole weekend(ex. MusicFest taking two evenings and Masquerade has only one evening), event clashing is inevitable.

The good thing about these extravagant events is that they can last from around 1-4 hours, so that if you get bored of the event or if it sucks in your opinion, you can always leave, but still have time to spare at the other big event.

What a lot of other people would usually recommend is just to prioritize which one you are more interested in. Like, would you rather keep your tradition of attending Masquerade because you've enjoyed it the past few years and are confident you will enjoy it again this year? Or would you rather make a change from your usual and attend an event that you do not know much about, but would like to try it out and see if you would like it? Or would you just prefer to enjoy yaoi and bingo with less people, but still mingle with some cuties and have a good time getting free stuff? It's all a matter of your own values.

The Scheduling Department always works their hardest to organize these events as best as they can, but the reality is that something better(or worse) will always be going on no matter where you go.

(Note that this is just my own opinion and perception of the scheduling)