Summer Anime 2008

Started by Tsubasa, June 18, 2008, 07:19:39 AM

Tsubasa

July is just around the corner and there's new anime looming on the horizon.  Below is a list.  It includes everything, including OVAs and movies.

RoboDz Fuunkun
Detroit Metal City Episode 01
Ikkitousen Great Guardians
Chocolate Underground
Gurren Lagann Parallel Works   
Telepathy Shoujo Ran
Ultraviolet: Code 044
Sekirei
Slayers REVOLUTION
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~
Scarecrowman the Animation
Seiyou Kottou Yougashiten ~Antique Bakery~
Hidamari Sketch x365
Strike Witches
Birdy the Mighty Decode
Yakushiji Ryouko no Kaiki Jikenbo -Ryoko's Case File-
Takane no Jitensha
Gakkou no Kaidan Anime Special
Zero no Tsukaima ~Princess no Rondo~
Neo Angelique Abyss -Second Age-
Choro-Q Deck System
Natsume Yuujin-chou
Mission-E
World Destruction~Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokunin
Koihime†Musou
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
Blade of the Immortal
Akiba-chan
Lupin the 3rd sweet lost night ~Mahou no Lamp wa Akumu no Yokan~

What're people looking forward to?

I, for one, am most looking forward to Slayers REVOLUTION. gg  Others that have piqued my interest: World Destruction, Koihime†Musou, Ryoko's Case File, and maybe Sekirei.  Hidamari Sketch x365 if I ever finish up what comes before it. XD;

I'll check out more depending on early feedback into the season and/or on a whim.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Mister_E

Lupin the 3rd sweet lost night ~Mahou no Lamp wa Akumu no Yokan~

and

Gurren Lagann Parallel Works 

Oh how can I get one of these?

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

questionette

Solely judging on how the animation looks, (partly because i'm too lazy to translate the text and/or check out  what the genres are..)

I'm interested in
Natsume Yuujin-chou
Telepathy Shoujo Ran
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~

Everything else looks pretty eh...I guess we'll have to see~!

By the way I love how on the 'Birdy the Mighty Decode' website, when you hover over the links the words scramble XD I had fun with that.

mDuo13

I'm not holding onto any hopes that the new Slayers will be good, but I'll probably at least check it out.

Gurren Lagann of course.

Sekirei definitely doesn't have my hopes up... World Destruction might be good. If nothing else, sora-mahou has nice art (I didn't even realize there was a Mahoutsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto 2, though)... Birdy the Mighty Decode looks meh, but with a title like that, how could I not be at least curious?

And, of course, if a new series with a Kajiura soundtrack pops up, I'll be in for sure. But AFAIK the only thing she's doing lately is Hokuto no Ken movies and Kara no Kyoukai. There will be two more Kara no Kyoukai movies to make it to DVD over the next two months, though.

P.S. The "NOW ROADING" sign on Scarecrowman The Animation is gold.

Kazuko

Akiba-chan looks pretty okay

scarecrow too

Jun-Watarase

Ahhh, time to make another one of these lists... and I'm probably going to end up too lazy to fulfill, then pick up the series that were recommended once the season is over. Here we go.

Probably watching:
Gurren Lagaan Parallel Works
Slayers REVOLUTION
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto
Hidamari Sketch x365
Akiba-chan (I mean, who doesn't love Poyoyon Rock-styled stop-mo animation, amirite? :V)

Might pick up:
Natsume Yuujin-chou
World Destruction
Koihime†Musou
Strike Witches
Lupin the III

Will watch if really bored:
Zero no Tsukaima ~Princess no Rondo~ (Still a Zero fan, but... somehow feeling a bit underwhelmed.)
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu (WHAT IS HARUKA'S SECRET?!?!?!?!?!?!)

And one thing I know for SURE that I'm seeing... DETROIT METAL CITY, THE ANIMATION. YEAH!

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Kaura117

Not one of the summer anime releases interests me- and thank Eris for that! I've a huge backlog from the last YEAR, due to having taken a break from anime up until Fanime.

RyuHayabusa

For me, it'll be Slayers Revolution(to the friday night hangout crew: we should do the marathon of slayers before this airs, do it as a refresher/stroll down memory course lol), Gurren Lagann Parallel Works and Zero no Tsukaima 3rd season for the lulz :P
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

LastElixir

blade of the immortal will be so watered down compared to the manga that it'll probably be deemed unwatchable.

j

Sunara Ishi

Slayers Revolution~ Yay~

Stuff I'll watch:
Slayers Revolution
Blade of the Immortal
Ryoko's Case Files (its a Narumi Kakinouchi series.. yay~ I think this is the only one besides Vampire Princess Miyu that got into an anime...)

Stuff I'll check out:
Antique Bakery (it sounds fun)
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora
World Destruction
Natsume Yūjin-Chou
Koihime†Musō
Ultraviolet: Code 044

Everything else is a maybe... I might watch a few shows that are second seasons but I still need to finish the first season (hidamari... code-e, etc.)
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

mDuo13

Slayers Revolution tomorrow!

In the meantime, I watched episode 1 of Telepathy Girl Ran, and... it is not money. Actually, I lied: I only made it through half the episode, it was so unenticing. It's almost hard to tell the main girl apart from her boyfriend, and the story is freakin' slow at developing. And there was a hilarious scene involving apparently a poltergeist and a dog turning a late-working engineer's lighter into a flamethrower to use against him.

Kazuko

Antique Bakery is a shounen ai if I clearly remember

I didnt like the manga D: so Im probally gonna drop it like its hot on the anime

mDuo13

Tsubasa

Just watched SlayersR 1 raw.

Thoughts:
-The OP and ED are OK.  They definitely couldn't live up to NEXT or even TRY themes, but they have enough of the appropriate Megumi and Slayers feel.  I'm initially favoring the ED slightly more, but you never know what'll happen through subsequent listenings.
-I'm loving the obviously dated character designs and humor.  It's refreshing considering all the post-00's series I've been consuming.
-Character design update!  Lina's now a full-time fang character. XD  And something of a sign of the times: I see Amelia sporting :3 in the OP.  Quite nice.
-Can't really comment too much on plot cause it's like every other Slayers ep. 1.  Nothing's happened yet.

In closing: <3 Lina

GET HYPE!
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

LastElixir

they lost the overall 90s feel to it... but the VAs sound like they never left the studio. It's been okay so far, pretty funny. Gourry is great as usual.

j

Spiritsnare

Quote from: Tsubasa on June 18, 2008, 07:19:39 AMHidamari Sketch x365

Other than that, going off of other people's suggestions out of laziness.

edit oh, and parallel works, of course

edit2nd finished watching the first episode of hidaske365, four notes:
1) OP by Tatsh, rofl
2) so much more animation
3) actual timeline continuity! - seems to follow manga a bit more strictly, very enjoyable
4) oh god marble ed is nice
epic progressive

vox

mDuo13

First Slayers Revolution episode is finally subbed. I'M READY FOR IT.

As for Sekirei, it is so bad, so bad, SO BAD that it's actually, for a little while, really hilarious. It is like, the fanservicey magical girlfriend harem series, distilled until the point where every facet of it is self-parodying. I've seen a little bit of this kind of stuff before - basically, it covers as many clichés as it can within a single episode.  And damn, that's a lot. I probably won't watch more (I suspect the way fights are basically an excuse to show jiggling jugs would really start to bother me after a while) but that first episode was a crack-up.

LastElixir

Quote from: mDuo13 on July 04, 2008, 01:35:05 PM

As for Sekirei, it is so bad, so bad, SO BAD that it's actually, for a little while, really hilarious. It is like, the fanservicey magical girlfriend harem series, distilled until the point where every facet of it is self-parodying. I've seen a little bit of this kind of stuff before - basically, it covers as many clichés as it can within a single episode.  And damn, that's a lot. I probably won't watch more (I suspect the way fights are basically an excuse to show jiggling jugs would really start to bother me after a while) but that first episode was a crack-up.

i saw you click the link on tosho yesterday, i told you not to DL it, i told you.... i told you....

j

mDuo13

Quote from: LastElixir on July 04, 2008, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: mDuo13 on July 04, 2008, 01:35:05 PM

i saw you click the link on tosho yesterday, i told you not to DL it, i told you.... i told you....

j
Well, I mean, I had to know how bad it was. And I don't entirely regret watching the episode.

Oh, by the way, Slayers Revolution ep 1 was good. Gooooood.

Zero_Kirby

Gurren Lagaan Parallel Works
Slayers REVOLUTION

that all for me