Summer Anime 2008

Started by Tsubasa, June 18, 2008, 07:19:39 AM

Tsubasa

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on July 20, 2008, 04:37:10 PMStrike Witches... all of them, all their uniforms are just a TOP... and bloomers/sukumizu/panties. No skirts. NEW FASHION STATEMENT? :|

I thought it funny how it's accepted as completely normal in their world.  Cause it wasn't just the Strike Witches either.  The uniform for Yoshika's entire school is apparently a sukumizu with sailor fuku top. 

There is one of the witches who wears what looks like a skirt.  I like to think they did that for contrast.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

mDuo13

Saw the first episode of Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu. It was... kind of stupid, as expected, but in a pretty fun way. I guess it's pretty OK.

mDuo13

Birdy the Mighty DECODE is an... interesting show. Character designs range from average to kind of ugly, and the animation is really cheap outside the fight scenes, which are pretty well-done... I'm intrigued, but this one (even moreso than World Destruction) gives me those vibes that say it might turn into total crap. The ED is by Afromania (of Gurren Lagann 2nd ED) but not as good. EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the background music is kind of good in a jazzy, hip way. Maybe not Yoko Kanno good, but this Yuugo Kanno dude ain't half bad.

EDIT: Speaking of cheap animation, World Destruction ep 3 was really bad. Well, the episode plot was fine, but the animation was SERIOUSLY cheap. Cost-cutting measures left and right. What a disappointment.

mDuo13

At the risk of spamming, some more thoughts on summer series.

Episode 1 of Natsume Yuujinchou. After seeing so many series this season that are obviously on a tight budget, the animation quality of this one really stood out. Good character designs (yay, Keiko), interesting side-character spirit things, and one of the best OP songs of the season (with Slayers R). Good stuff.

Episode 2 of Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu. It continues to be kind of harem/galge-dumb, but Haruka is  so freakin' cute that I enjoyed it anyway. Noto Mamiko's voice is just too good.

Tsubasa

Series I'm up to date on, and probably a fairly good indicator of, more or less, what I'm enjoying:

-SlayersR: fun like any other Slayers
-Natsume Yuujinchou: I like the atmosphere and chill pace
-Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: Haruka is adorable
-Strike Witches: kinda shallow, but the girls are kinda cute and it's a fun watch

An episode behind on World Destruction and it's so-so.  Haven't given up on Koihime Musou two episodes in, but it's still skirting the line between watch/give up.
-Tsubasa

Lisu

you what'd be cool? If you swap all the characters of Sekirei with Strike Witches.
Then you'd have a show that's all good, and one that complete crap.

Everything else is pretty whatever.

Kazuko

Akiba-Chan is pretty cute for stopmotion it kind is a little akward to watch cause ball jointed cute dolls move arround X)

lilian is my faaaavorite

mDuo13

Quote from: Lisu on August 05, 2008, 12:15:03 PM
you what'd be cool? If you swap all the characters of Sekirei with Strike Witches.
Then you'd have a show that's all good, and one that complete crap.

Everything else is pretty whatever.
You sure they wouldn't both still be crap?

Right now, nothing this season is wowing me, but a lot of things are pretty watchable. Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu gets dumber every episode, but it's still cute, whereas episode 2 of Koihime Musou was just as  bad as the first one. It tries so hard to be funny and cool, while shows like Sekirei are funny without even trying.

Birdy the Mighty DECODE seems pretty average, but I haven't seen a show like it in a while, so that's fine with me. Blade of the Immortal continues to be cool in my book (though I definitely don't expect most anyone else to agree).

I'm an little behind on Slayers. Ep 4 wasn't so great. Still better than most stuff I've checked out this season.

Nastume Yuujinchou is probably the only show I'm certain is good so far, though.

Tsubasa

Progress report!

Series I'm up-to-date on: Koihime Musou, Natsume Yuujinchou, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Slayers Revolution, Strike Witches
Series I let slip (may or may not catch up on): Ryoko's Case File, World Destruction
Series I dropped: Sekirei

I gotta say, the most quality this season is definitely Natsume Yuujinchou.  It's episodic, but it builds a great atmosphere that draws you in each episode.  In the span of 24 minutes, you learn about a new youkai, hear its plight, and smile as it is resolved.  A great feel-good series.  It has the best guest seiyuu: Yuzuki Ryoka, Noto Mamiko, & Kuwashima Houko.  Probably my favorite OP and ED of the season too.  It's a shame no one's watching it. -.-

Slayers Revolution is still Slayers.  Perhaps not quite as good as the prior series so far, IMO, but still rather enjoyable.

Koihime Musou, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, and Strike Witches are still the kind of throwaway fun series they started out as.  I can't complain.  I smile a little each episode.
-Tsubasa

mDuo13

Series I'm caught up on or almost caught up on (with fansubs): Bounen no Xamdou, Natsume Yuujinchou, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Blade of the Immortal
Series I let slip (but might catch up on): World Destruction, Slayers Revolution, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~
Series I dropped: Sekirei, Koihime Musou, Telepathy Girl Ran

I'm going to insist that Xam'd is better than Natsume Yuujinchou, but both of them are several levels above most of the other stuff this season. I can't enjoy Koihime Musou, but for some reason Nogizaka Haruka remains one of the shows I'm most excited about keeping up with. Slayers, I dunno. I kind of lapsed when Eclipse stopped, and I haven't been overly excited about keeping up with it, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it if/when I eventually do.

I was gonna drop MahouSora after watching the first ep, but I had the second episode downloaded and eventually got around to seeing it... and it gave me a better feel than the first episode, so I might continue with it after all.

mDuo13

So I caught up on World Destruction (12 of 13 total episodes) and, strangely enough, I've grown to like it. It's not that I think it's great in any particular way, but I've developed a soft-spot for it, and I get a good feel from it.

Birdy the Mighty, I'm still not sure. The animation quality has gotten worse, and the plot varies from being kind of cool sci-fi to being just kind of boring. Norio Wakamoto had what amounts to a great cameo though.

Opinions on other shows haven't changed.

Chun

I tried watching the first episode of Strike Witches.

And I'm still on that same episode because I can't continue without keeling over in absurdity of it.

MahoSora is good so far story-wise, not really feeling the art still.

HarukaHimitsu is exactly what you'd expect, but it's entertaining.

Yeah, I'm waiting for Fall.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

mDuo13

The OP and ED for Mahou-Sora are growing on me.

mDuo13

Season wrap-up time!

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu - (Seen: 12 of 12 episodes) It was generic, it was predictable, it was fanservicey, but overall it wasn't a total waste of time. Several of the girls were really cute, and the character dynamics were often more interesting than would be expected. Amusing and catchy OP, not a great ED. The last arc was stupid, but not especially moreso than a lot of series. A show whose most redeeming quality is Noto Mamiko in the main role.

Natsume Yuujinchou - (Seen: 13 of 13 episodes) Well-animated, touching character development, interesting episodic conflicts, a great OP and a great ED. Best of the season (discounting Xam'd, since that's not subject to normal broadcasting conditions), with an interestingly off-beat pace.

World Destruction - (Seen: 13 of 13 episodes) A good premise done passably. Animation sometimes cheap, but not too horrible, occasionally funny whilst often dumb. The characters grew on me over time, had enough of a plot to keep me interested. Did a nice job of using what were basically filler episodes to pull the conclusion together.

Sekirei - (Seen: 2 of 12 episodes) Even more laughably bad than it looks. Every cliche in the book and more fanservice than should be possible to fit in 24 minutes get thrown into the first episode, and they somehow find even more to use in the second episode... but the sort of shocking hilarity of how bad it is wears off quickly. Also a case of a first 3 minutes that don't seem to jive with the rest of what I watched.

Koihime Musou - (Seen: 2 of 12 episodes) A case of trying so hard, and failing so hard, that it's occasionally funny but mostly just sad. Ridiculous character designs, ridiculous action scenes, predictable "humorous" interactions, predictable fanservice... Just not exciting.

Blade of the Immortal - (Seen: 6 episodes, ongoing) So ridiculously weird that I'm fascinated by it. The animation style is stock Bee Train, which brings back good memories, but the story gets increasingly disjointed as it goes on. Also takes Bee Train's habit of contextually inappropriate music to entirely new levels of bizarreness, and with terrible music.

Birdy the Mighty DECODE - (Seen: 6 of 13 episodes) Seems like it should be an entertaining sci-fi mind-sharing action series. In actuality, the plot develops painfully slowly and the animation (especially outside of the action scenes) is just horribly ugly and lazy. Still debating the worth of watching the rest of the season - apparently there's going to be a second season, though I'm not sure how that happened.

Telepathy Girl Ran - (Seen: 1/2 an episode, ongoing) Boring characters, outdated animation, and a laughable conflict made it clear I wouldn't like this series even before the first episode ended.

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ (Seen: 12 of 12 episodes) Some of the most bizarre animation decisions I've seen, most of the time meaning the animation is just kind of ugly and jarring, but after a while it kind of grows on you, and at least it's stylistically interesting. Also home to some of the best character development I've seen in a while. Not the strongest on story, but I liked it more than the original Someday's Dreamers. Also has the most interesting soundtrack of the season - half Celtic music, half bluesy guitar stuff, with lots of indie-sounding insert songs. Not the best, but surprisingly enjoyable and likely to be really underrated.

Slayers REVOLUTION - (Seen: 13 of 13 episodes) It's not as good as the older Slayers series, but it still has a lot of the aspects that made them great. Has really, really good OP and ED themes. It leaves a lot of loose ends, but apparently it was planned as the first half of a 26-episode story, so that explains that. Kind of a weird feel to have a Slayers series with so little filler.

Tsubasa

I think I'll do a similar rundown.

Koihime Musou - (Complete) It was probably the premise of this series that interested me enough to watch it.  It's another one of those series that takes ancient Chinese heroes and girlifies them.  Somehow, just that got me through Ikkitousen, which, to this day, I'll cite as one of the worse series I've ever seen.  By comparison, Koihime Musou is decidedly better, IMO.  Not a good series by any stretch, but at least it had a lot of girls, some of which cute.  There's no story worth mentioning (what they introduced towards the end doesn't count), but the simple, episodic adventures of Kan'u were fun.  Characters like Chouun, Koumei, and even Kan'u herself helped pull the series through for me.  I can't hate.  Especially since I've seen even more garbage in my day.

Natsume Yuujinchou - (Complete) Amazing.  A great atmospheric, feel-good series.  Each episode was episodic, but engaging enough to pull you in and make you sympathize with the youkai.  Each episode left a good aftertaste, that I thought the next episode couldn't match/beat, but I was delightfully proven wrong each time.  Best OP and ED of the season too, IMO.  Best of the season.  I've been recommending it around because it was, sadly, overlooked by many.

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu - (Complete) An extremely cliche series with cute girls.  What story they had at times was laughable.  It was the episodic fun episodes that were an enjoyable watch.  Haruka is adorable and is a great example of type-casting Noto Mamiko at its best.

Ryoko's Case File - (4/13) An interesting episodic mystery series.  The dynamic between Ryoko and Izumida is really interesting in itself and the cases they handle are all adequately strange and compelling.  I wouldn't mind finishing this up someday, but it just got lost on the wayside.

Sekirei - (1/12) I couldn't do it.  The first episode left a horrible impression.  The story seemed stupid, it didn't look like any of the characters were interesting, and the battle sequence was ridiculous.

Slayers Revolution - (Complete) I agree with mDuo all the way here: it wasn't as good as prior Slayers series, but it had enough of the feel to make it enjoyable.  The whole look and humor are so 90's-esque, it's refreshing to see it in 2008.

Strike Witches - (Complete) If you can accept a stupid, but fun series about young girls without pants, this show is great.  As one might expect, there are hella girls and I find many of them to be extremely cute.  Another series this season that's pulled through by its fun, episodic stories.  The story at the end was laughably bad.  I know a lot of people couldn't go through with it and it's understandable, but I think it's something of a shame because I found it really enjoyable.  Probably one of my favoriter watches of the season.

World Destruction - (3/13) Didn't take off fast enough.  Started off OK and didn't pick up by episode 3, so it fell by the wayside.  Probably won't watch the rest unless I hear some good things about it, but it seems that many didn't watch it.
-Tsubasa

Chun

Alright, I'll do the same as well.

Kyouran Kazoku Nikki (21/26) - This series left a good impression on me the first episode, and throughout it's been a fun, Hayate-like experience. I'll be finishing this soon enough; the cast of characters present in the whole continuity of it all was so different it was refreshing.  Hopefully I'll be satisfied with the ending. Good OP, a lot of fun variety EDs in the end, and the seiyuu random casts were entertaining (MUJYAKEY-SAMA!) to say the least. Overall it's something worth remembering, and I wouldn't mind recommending.

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu (Finished) - Alright I lied. I Skipped around on the last two episodes. Though I'm a sucker for Noto Mamiko lead roles, this whole thing was rediculously cliche. It's not something I'd recommend but it was fun.

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ (10/13) - I honestly have not felt the need to finish this series. Though it retains most of its predecessors, the whole thing is still a bit jarring in terms of art direction, story development, and basic theory to the former. I will eventually finish this series (Maybe even this weekend), but for now all I can say is, the OP was alright, the ED I couldn't stand watching because of the lip-sync animation section in the middle. I'll disagree with mDuo in saying this is better than the original (Frankly, this is too much change that I can't take), but Sora is a good character for sure; she's over Nami and a little behind Yume, and I enjoyed watching her go through life so far. Hopefully it'll end ok; but this series is slow, and I won't recommend this one to everyone.

Strike Witches (.5/End) - You know, there's a certain level of absurdity I can take before I can barely pay attention to a series. I want to watch it, yet I can't stand watching it. If I had to make an analogy, I watched Pumpkin Scissors all the way through to the end and enjoyed the militant atmosphere of it, but then again Alice wasn't parading in a sukimizu bottom for the whole series and growing ears and a tail when she wanted to duel someone. Being a Slice-of-Life advocate, I'll have to ween myself into it. I like my realistic standpoints. The girls are cute, and it's worth watching because of that. So we'll see.

Sekirei (.3/12) - I can't do it. It's... no, I can't do it. You Ikki-tousen or maybe Tenjo-Tenge people have fun with your service, because this crap is BLAND BLAND BLAND and bust bust bust.

Slayers Revolution (6/13) - It's a really fun series for sure, coming from a person that's only watched the Next, Gorgeous, and Great iterations of the series. I eventually want to finish this, the humor is just so classic I love it.

Natsume Yuujinchou (8/13) - I started this series when I overheard conversation about it last Friday. Wow, this is totally up my alley; wonderful characters, clean art and animation, and a overall feel of "life" in the thick of it all. As Tsubasa said you can really feel what the youkai's standpoint is and not find it unreasonable, the OP and ED are absolutely amazing in their calm composure and melody, along with their animations. I could be pinning this as top of the season as well, but I'll watch the rest more than likely tonight or tomorrow. Just great stuff, period.

~Chun

LastElixir

sure why not, but ill keep it simple so that lower iq residents on the fanime forums can understand my point of views.

Natsume Yuujinchou 13/13 - It kicks ass, it kicks so much ass. In fact, it kicked so much ass my butcher Paul called me and asked me if I was okay if he can still make the meat delivery, and I was like "yeah you can still come over, why not, why don't you watch this series with me, again, i don't mind rewatching it, have a seat, you want a fuckin hot pocket? you want it on high for 2 minutes? okay sure paul, sure." It got cute girls with ears and masks in it, and i wanted to pork a lot of them, including the shiney firefly girl, man she was fuckin hot. Actually no, i want the fox boy, i don't care if he's a fox, or being a boy i guess, ill work with it, I'll spin his meat, why not right? Is that so frowned upon?

Strike Witches 12/12 - Man this show is the bombeezy, it kicks so much ass, it wins 5 out of 5 J bucks. Actually, 6 out of 5 J bucks because of shirleys breasts. Did you fuckin see those things? they are major melons, they are fuckin melons, and they were major. And that ass, wow, it never quits! I was like wow, it's been workin for like 6 straight hours, when is it GONNA QUIT!? Girl needs some bengay (totally not gay though) for that ass. and then they shoot guns! lots of them, at these flying bug looking things that scream with red things they need to shoot at! wow! man, and that chick with the eye patch thats made out of plastic, man she has a sword, a samurai sword! that's like guy in naruto! shit man, flying girls with swords with only panties? I was sold, 5 year apr financing? I don't give a shit!

Sekirei 1/god knows how many - I didn't like this show, it looks way too deep for me and I don't like any of that philosophical bullshit. The girl looks like cows too, like I'll take them to a hometown and they'll be on vacation for like the next 14 plates, but I can work with that. I can RD it out.

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu 6/12 - Oh man, nogi is so cute, and I want to pork her. I want to pork her till she says "wow i need to throw up" and ill be like "that's rad" and ill smoke a lucky, maybe even 2, then ill give her a vitamin water (endurance) and a towel, and we'll go at it again till the room stank so bad, I need a jiffy steamer to take the stink off the walls, yeah, that's been on my mind. This show is not just about hot girls though, it's about more than that, it's about action figures and comic books, but the japanese kind. It's about Komikay and maids and stuff, that's some deep shit.

Hidamari Sketch 5/12 - I'm saving this one for later, but this show is great, I liked the manga too. It's about 3 girls and a boy doing like everyday shit. They paint too, but that's not important. And that hot teacher, man how old is she. I would plow that till next thursday, then I'll punch her in the face because I know she's up to something, she can't always be that happy. Maybe she's not even Japanese, I'll look at her passport, and then take her car keys, I'll return her phone calls though, she's a keeper.

Kyouran Kazoku Nikki 25/25 - I guess I'll throw this in even though it's technically not summer season. Man this show had everything, crazy cat girls, missles, a robot that shoots hella lasers and a pimp ass lion, wtf! It got gothic chicks in it too, that are actually not and they change costumes randomly for no reason. And it has a little girl that you just want to hug, and then punch her in the face cuz she cooked my panini wrong, but it's okay, she's used to it. Despite all of this, it's not about that at all, I caught the real meaning of this show, since I'm so smart and good looking; this show, is about family, and all that deep bonding bullshit, I think I'm the only one who caught this, and it moved my heart. I cried and I cheered, and when i noticed, a box of tissues, 4 slim jims and a 2 liter of IBC cream soda was gone, and i was like "wow i have to call someone about this, since im a chick and all" and I called Tsubasa, and talked for 3 hours, and i was like "wow this was so much better than sex and the city like totally." and told him how I cried and he was like "yeah, I know what you mean" and then I smoked a lucky, man that was a great night.

j

ps don't read this post.

Chun

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: LastElixir on October 13, 2008, 03:22:08 PM
sure why not, but ill keep it simple so that lower iq residents on the fanime forums can understand my point of views.

Natsume Yuujinchou 13/13 - It kicks ass, it kicks so much ass. In fact, it kicked so much ass my butcher Paul called me and asked me if I was okay if he can still make the meat delivery, and I was like "yeah you can still come over, why not, why don't you watch this series with me, again, i don't mind rewatching it, have a seat, you want a fuckin hot pocket? you want it on high for 2 minutes? okay sure paul, sure." It got cute girls with ears and masks in it, and i wanted to pork a lot of them, including the shiney firefly girl, man she was fuckin hot. Actually no, i want the fox boy, i don't care if he's a fox, or being a boy i guess, ill work with it, I'll spin his meat, why not right? Is that so frowned upon?

Strike Witches 12/12 - Man this show is the bombeezy, it kicks so much ass, it wins 5 out of 5 J bucks. Actually, 6 out of 5 J bucks because of shirleys breasts. Did you fuckin see those things? they are major melons, they are fuckin melons, and they were major. And that ass, wow, it never quits! I was like wow, it's been workin for like 6 straight hours, when is it GONNA QUIT!? Girl needs some bengay (totally not gay though) for that ass. and then they shoot guns! lots of them, at these flying bug looking things that scream with red things they need to shoot at! wow! man, and that chick with the eye patch thats made out of plastic, man she has a sword, a samurai sword! that's like guy in naruto! shit man, flying girls with swords with only panties? I was sold, 5 year apr financing? I don't give a shit!

Sekirei 1/god knows how many - I didn't like this show, it looks way too deep for me and I don't like any of that philosophical bullshit. The girl looks like cows too, like I'll take them to a hometown and they'll be on vacation for like the next 14 plates, but I can work with that. I can RD it out.

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu 6/12 - Oh man, nogi is so cute, and I want to pork her. I want to pork her till she says "wow i need to throw up" and ill be like "that's rad" and ill smoke a lucky, maybe even 2, then ill give her a vitamin water (endurance) and a towel, and we'll go at it again till the room stank so bad, I need a jiffy steamer to take the stink off the walls, yeah, that's been on my mind. This show is not just about hot girls though, it's about more than that, it's about action figures and comic books, but the japanese kind. It's about Komikay and maids and stuff, that's some deep shit.

Hidamari Sketch 5/12 - I'm saving this one for later, but this show is great, I liked the manga too. It's about 3 girls and a boy doing like everyday shit. They paint too, but that's not important. And that hot teacher, man how old is she. I would plow that till next thursday, then I'll punch her in the face because I know she's up to something, she can't always be that happy. Maybe she's not even Japanese, I'll look at her passport, and then take her car keys, I'll return her phone calls though, she's a keeper.

Kyouran Kazoku Nikki 25/25 - I guess I'll throw this in even though it's technically not summer season. Man this show had everything, crazy cat girls, missles, a robot that shoots hella lasers and a pimp ass lion, wtf! It got gothic chicks in it too, that are actually not and they change costumes randomly for no reason. And it has a little girl that you just want to hug, and then punch her in the face cuz she cooked my panini wrong, but it's okay, she's used to it. Despite all of this, it's not about that at all, I caught the real meaning of this show, since I'm so smart and good looking; this show, is about family, and all that deep bonding bullshit, I think I'm the only one who caught this, and it moved my heart. I cried and I cheered, and when i noticed, a box of tissues, 4 slim jims and a 2 liter of IBC cream soda was gone, and i was like "wow i have to call someone about this, since im a chick and all" and I called Tsubasa, and talked for 3 hours, and i was like "wow this was so much better than sex and the city like totally." and told him how I cried and he was like "yeah, I know what you mean" and then I smoked a lucky, man that was a great night.

j

ps don't read this post.

I laughed heartily Jay.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Devereaux

Quote from: LastElixir on October 13, 2008, 03:22:08 PM

j

ps don't read this post.

Very insightful, I'll be sure to check out a few of these series when I get a chance.

Also to those of you who laughed at this post, I am appalled at your behavior. Though I am an asshole as everyone here is aware, never, NEVER, would I stoop as low as to attack someone else's personal opinion about anime. We are all here because we all enjoy anime in some fashion and you people just ruin it for the rest of us.

I was thinking about posting up my own review, but considering the lack of respect other forum posters have been showing recently I have decided NOT to post it and instead have decided that I will quit the Fanime boards indefinitely.

Good Riddance,

I 'ctrl' through Visual Novels to collect CG's so I can trick people into thinking I actually played the game.