alright :/
10 (10.6%)
it failed DX
1 (1.1%)
didn't go
49 (52.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Yuu

I hate to sound oh so snarky, but if your talking about a shinigami or an Arraencar uniform using a non-japanese or modified pattern REALLY wont do.

Your better off looking for a  japanese clothing 'how to' book.

My firend has one. I can scan them  if you want. But gimme a couple days.

Waffle-lover- well, arent we picky. Youll never get anywahere with that attitude XP
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

raenef

Quote from: Yuu on April 13, 2009, 04:22:19 PM
I hate to sound oh so snarky, but if your talking about a shinigami or an Arraencar uniform using a non-japanese or modified pattern REALLY wont do.

Your better off looking for a  japanese clothing 'how to' book.

My firend has one. I can scan them  if you want. But gimme a couple days.

Waffle-lover- well, arent we picky. Youll never get anywahere with that attitude XP
actually as long as you use the method of long strips of fabric, like when you buy a bolt from japan, american patterns work just fine. I'd say unless your japanese is good enough that you can understand words like "bias" and other sewing instructions, use an American pattern and tweak it so it looks as it should.

^ ^
(member of Obscure Tomatoes Cosplay group)

waffle-lover26

Well, I'm back~!
We got 2 patterns and the fabric for one (unfortunately its the formal one for my bat'mitzvah) and we will be going back when thats done to get the fabric for the other dresses. >.<
I used to keep an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.
If you don't like my driving, than get off the sidewalk.

*proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: BumbleB on April 13, 2009, 01:37:55 PM
@ waffle-lover26
hmm i havn't seen a lot of Sun Sun cosplayers, but you might have to make the top. The skirt you can buy as just any long white skirt and add the black belt things.

I'm making my "Zanpaktou" (Sode no Shirayuki) right now.

Everyone out there: what material are you using for your sword?

Mine is bamboo. The weapons policy is really strict this year
Quotewooden weapons [like your sword] will be changed to an ACCESSORY TYPE, meaning it will be peace bonded in such a manner it will NOT be able to be pulled or handled in a swining motion- meaning it will be permantently tied to your costume and not be used for hand held or posing positions.
Wait WHAT?!!? Peace bonded on my sash?? No posing for pictures??  :'( Oh well I can always bring my little sister's plastic one.

where did you find that quote? I didn't think the weapons policy was out yet....
either case, I really hope they aren't going to be that strict this year. The one year I did Byakuya they made me peace tie my katana (which I had already taken the liberty of zip-tying it myself to show that I was responsible) to my obi, and it made sitting incredibly difficult. My Slifer costume has two swords that in no way can be peace-bonded to me, and I am a responsible con-goer....gahhh how frustrating ><
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

BumbleB

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on April 13, 2009, 07:01:26 PM
@ waffle-lover26
hmm i havn't seen a lot of Sun Sun cosplayers, but you might have to make the top. The skirt you can buy as just any long white skirt and add the black belt things.

Quotewooden weapons [like your sword] will be changed to an ACCESSORY TYPE, meaning it will be peace bonded in such a manner it will NOT be able to be pulled or handled in a swining motion- meaning it will be permantently tied to your costume and not be used for hand held or posing positions.
Wait WHAT?!!? Peace bonded on my sash?? No posing for pictures??  :'( Oh well I can always bring my little sister's plastic one.

where did you find that quote? I didn't think the weapons policy was out yet....
either case, I really hope they aren't going to be that strict this year. The one year I did Byakuya they made me peace tie my katana (which I had already taken the liberty of zip-tying it myself to show that I was responsible) to my obi, and it made sitting incredibly difficult. My Slifer costume has two swords that in no way can be peace-bonded to me, and I am a responsible con-goer....gahhh how frustrating ><

I got the quote from http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12021.0.html  ;D
Yes I can go to Fanime!

Sunday:Shinigami Rukia- Bleach
*proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

Black Kawaii Kitty

Quote from: BumbleB on April 13, 2009, 07:31:31 PM
Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on April 13, 2009, 07:01:26 PM
@ waffle-lover26

I got the quote from http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12021.0.html  ;D

I'm getting really sick of these extensive rules on props, and I honestly won't trust anything any rover or whoever tells me unless I talk directly to the people in the weapons check room(whatever the heck it's called). My friends and I have been harassed multiple times every year because of our DMC costumes and one friend even made sure her gun didn't look real at all and they still strapped it down, basically we were not pleased. Not only that but last year some chick kept coming after me about a top I was wearing and forced us to go all the way across the hall to the check room(the people there didn't even know why I was dragged there and we had a sarcastic laugh over it T_T). I found out later that she was doing this to multiple girls because she was jealous of what they were wearing or something. All in all if I have any more issues like this then they're going to get a mouthful, and especially if they try to make us put away our large DMC swords because I WILL refuse. Our group has never misused our props EVER and we're always extra careful with the big ones so they can kiss my pleather/black twill-clad @$$. My two cents =)

WrentheFaceless

Maybe a weapon age limit?

Though i know a lot of immature 20 somethings (no not me...bastards)

Black Kawaii Kitty

Quote from: WrentheFaceless on April 13, 2009, 08:57:25 PM

lol no you're the old fart now...grandpa =P

WrentheFaceless

Quote from: Black Kawaii Kitty on April 13, 2009, 09:04:16 PM

lol no you're the old fart now...grandpa =P

Hey now im not the oldest guy in this thread =p

Yuu

I know a lot of immature 64 year olds. No one in particualr of coarse >>

Hey, at least it isnt Sakuracon. The staff/security there are  Nazis on every level. They are also bullies and hypocrytes. If I didnt live so close to SC I wouldnt attend,

clawmaster

it really urks me every time i hear a story that someone cant take out thier weapon due to "it might hurt somebody"...at this point if you really think about it, every weapon u can grab or a part of your body is a weapon. i mean even a pen could be a weapon if u think about it, no pun intended to the the pen is mightier then the sword quote xD.

I know most cons want to keep it safe and lets admit it we do have people stupid enough to do think that since they have a weapon that they they can now own everyone in their wake of destruction. But in the process of trying to protect those that are idiots they r cutting off everyone else that are responsible in actually knowing that their props and weapons are not real and can hurt people. I sort of want the idea of showing ID for some certain props. to know that at a certain age some people can handle it. though the think yuu brought up was that there are older people who do act stupid. yea i dk, its a pain that this happends but at the same time what are we going to do? theres enough stupid people out there that cause enough trouble for the rest of us that no one will think we are mature people dealing with props and costumes. hmm maybe some sort of 3 strikes rule sholuld be in place then? u know like 1st a warning, then so on? i dk, what do u think.

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

sael

That's very true, Claw. If someone was so intent on hurting another, the lack of an object Fanime defines as a weapon wouldn't stop them. I'd like to believe that people treat each other as they'd like to be treated, i.e. no injury causing actions. I wouldn't like to be hit with a wooden sword, why would someone else?

The warning system is a good idea, but how do you define dangerous actions? What if I accidentally hit someone when I'm turning because someone called my name? If that person gets badly injured due to that (and claims I did it on purpose), how does the staff know that I didn't mean to hit them? For a warning system to work, there has to be staff everywhere.

Yuu

I dont mind so long as it is within the extent of the law.  But when its simply con staff trying to BECOME the law thats when I have to..correct them. ( Idid it for Sauracon)

While we are on convention center/hotle we ( and teh staff)  do need to abide by the rules set in place by the convention center/hotel itself as they have jurisdiction.

Outside of the hotel/con centers property lines, were only held to public law.  

What I have a REAL problem with, is assholic con security thinking they ARE the law and stepping outside of thier jurisdiction within public property.

They know they're wrong. If you call them on it theyll generally back off.

This reminds me- Charis I has conffesion.
All of that madness in the courtyard at SC is my fault.  I told SAS that they had no jurisdiction outside.
I had NO IDEA they would actually back off compeltley.  Im mostly glad, but the glomp circles were a bit much.

Chaos Bark- I think I has answer to your earlier question reffering to Ishida not getting any airtime -

http://community.livejournal.com/capslock_bleach/647372.html?#cutid1 
-BTW these are pretty much my thoughts EVERY chapter

( warning VERY image heavy)

Black Kawaii Kitty

Quote from: Yuu on April 14, 2009, 11:51:57 AM

I dont mind so long as it is within the extent of the law.  But when its simply con staff trying to BECOME the law thats when I have to..correct them. ( Idid it for Sauracon)

While we are on convention center/hotle we ( and teh staff)  do need to abide by the rules set in place by the convention center/hotel itself as they have jurisdiction.

Outside of the hotel/con centers property lines, were only held to public law.  

What I have a REAL problem with, is assholic con security thinking they ARE the law and stepping outside of thier jurisdiction within public property.

They know they're wrong, so if you call them on it theyll generally back off.

I know some of you guys have seen this already but Yukari and I tried to strongly defend the cosplayers POV and the opposition did not give valid arguments to support themselves at all.

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12021.0.html

I especially like Kuporoth's mention of people getting injured after being tied down to their props like that. We all know it's dangerous and they still do it to us, so Bleach cosplayers are going to be in danger of hurting themselves and others and also not even be able to pose for pictures. I know each city/district has their own rules and all but when I went up to Wondercon they never harassed us about our props or even bothered to zip tie them or anything(though if they had I wouldn't have minded as long as they aren't jerks about it), and everyone behaved properly with their props as well. If Fanime staff could treat cosplayers with the same consideration that Wondercon staff does then we wouldn't be having these discussions. At all the cons I've attended I have never seen at any other convention with such a severe treatment of cosplayers/prop holders. If I'm going to pay $55 and hotel room fee to have fun then I want to do that fully with the props I make as well because sometimes the prop makes the costume like how each Shinigami's and Arrancar's sword is unique to them and them alone. Heck all I mostly do at cons is cosplay. I rarely go to panels and never even the gaming room because I'm out with friends posing for pics and taking some of my own at gatherings. I think it's pretty obvious that cosplayers help attract a lot of extra attendees and not just the events at the convention. People want to see us and they're going to be extremely disappointed if we can't properly pose for them.

WrentheFaceless

Man Comic Con has 2390823408 more people than any con I've been to with probably the most lax weapon policy I've ever seen, and nothing has ever happend the 7 years I've been going down there. 

Sounds like Fanime staff is power tripping.

Yukari Kaiba

lol I'm typing this in my Japanese Modernity class X3...lol
anyways!
yeah basically Kitty summed up what she and I tried to do last night. I put too much effort, time, and money on my props to NOT have them out at con - I want to show off my hard work, and I can't exactly do that when I have props I spent a lot of time on physically bound to me. But unfortunately our points were ignored and the thread was locked. Hell even Anime Expo doesn't have such strict policies, and the con is in downtown LA.
.....DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES, PEOPLE. and I was able to have my wooden katana for my Ulqui cosplay approved no problem.
*annoyed sigh*baaah i guess we'll just have to wait until con to see what actually happens, I suppose.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

Yuu

Quote from: Black Kawaii Kitty on April 14, 2009, 01:06:33 PM
I know some of you guys have seen this already but Yukari and I tried to strongly defend the cosplayers POV and the opposition did not give valid arguments to support themselves at all.

If they have no valid arguemtns/ legal basis, there is nothing they can do but kick and scream like children.

I dotn know any California law, but if there IS in fact a law against it then theres not much you can do Except untie it and take your chances. Most likley even if a cop sees it, they wont give a damn.

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on April 14, 2009, 01:21:26 PM

*annoyed sigh*baaah i guess we'll just have to wait until con to see what actually happens, I suppose.

Thats what Id suggest. Getting riled up before the fact is never a good idea.

Like I said, last year I was told that yes you have to have your weapon tied to your person but in the end I was allowed  to carry it anyway.

Runewitt

California is too uptight with the safety rules. when i was staffing a first year con in oklahoma there were people walking around with live steel out of their sheaths. there was no peace-bonding, just a "dont be stupid" remark to anyone with large/ dangerous props. sure, it was smaller than fanime (about 3k people for three days) but there were never any problems.

at last fanime, they just had me stick my zanpukto into my obi and they threw a zip tie around the handle, nothing to keep it in place. i.. er.. i pulled it out at the fountains for photos and stuck it back in when i went inside and had no problems.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

OGIGA

The next thing they're going to do is hand-cuff everybody so that we can't punch someone.

clawmaster

Quote from: Yuu on April 14, 2009, 01:22:29 PM
Quote from: Black Kawaii Kitty on April 14, 2009, 01:06:33 PM

If they have no valid arguemtns/ legal basis, there is nothing they can do but kick and scream like children.

I dotn know any California law, but if there IS in fact a law against it then theres not much you can do Except untie it and take your chances. Most likley even if a cop sees it, they wont give a damn.

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on April 14, 2009, 01:21:26 PM

Thats what Id suggest. Getting riled up before the fact is never a good idea.

Like I said, last year I was told that yes you have to have your weapon tied to your person but in the end I was allowed  to carry it anyway.

yea your right. as much as I would love to ask a lawyer and fiqure out a way so that fanime doesnt harrass us about our weapons, the best way to go about this is probably jst go to the con and dont antagonize anyone with the weapon policy. Though yuu i would like a copy of those rules you found and use on staff if they step over thier boundries. u never know when you need it at times of harrassment.

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/