Anime lanyards-what do you think?

Started by Squeeky_Moonkin, July 23, 2008, 09:33:15 PM

Squeeky_Moonkin

So I have a slew of ideas for anime lanyards. Let me know what you think of my few basic rough drafts below and what you would be willing to pay for such an item...if you would at an artist ally table vs what you may consider to spendy.

they read:
"Naruto <3 Sakura"
"Rock Lee <3 Sakura"
"Lina Inverse" "Dragon Slave"
"Xellos <3 Amelia
"Pcoky.....its whats for dinner"
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/lilrabwolf/animelanyards.jpg

There would be lanyard hooks in the middle for easy badge placement, and secure knots that would secondly be clamped over tightly with crimp beads.

SOawesomeness

Would you also take requests? I'd probably pay $7-$10. Not sure if that's cheap or expensive, but whatevs. If it's custom, I'd go for it.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on July 25, 2008, 12:47:16 AM
Would you also take requests? I'd probably pay $7-$10. Not sure if that's cheap or expensive, but whatever. If it's custom, I'd go for it.

ya I have no problem with doing custom ones at all. I'll probbaly even be doing some as i sit at my AAt able this october for anime banzai in utah (I normally sell just neko ears and tails there).That makes me happy to read, that you think 7-10 is okay. I'm really paranoid doing this at my AA table for anime banzai. 1) because the con attendees are way younger than those of like fanime, ax, and ACEN. I'm talking kids barely in high school for the most part. 2) not sure if this is even an item that may go well, since its a first time idea for me.

mDuo13

I mean, I don't use lanyards, but I would think that there have to be better text to put on them than just fan pairings. Horrible in-jokes or clever lines of dialogue or something.

Keeping with the Slayers theme, the full incantation for the Dragon Slave is a little too long for a lanyard probably, but something along the lines of, "By the power you and I possess... DRAGON SLAVE!" would be more interesting than what you have.

Chun

Quote from: mDuo13 on July 25, 2008, 01:20:33 PM
I mean, I don't use lanyards, but I would think that there have to be better text to put on them than just fan pairings. Horrible in-jokes or clever lines of dialogue or something.

Keeping with the Slayers theme, the full incantation for the Dragon Slave is a little too long for a lanyard probably, but something along the lines of, "By the power you and I possess... DRAGON SLAVE!" would be more interesting than what you have.

Agreed with this. WHARGARBL

To be brutally honest, these look like the kind of accessories, in my opinion, that one would make to COMPENSATE for the fact they cannot afford better-looking gear. It's a string with beads bound together with one of those Alphabetic Bead-sets that costs ~3-5$. The color scheme and accessories are not appealing (plain round beads...), and do not complement the phrase it supports.

If you were to sell these as is, I'd put the price range at a 1$ a lanyard, if not, less, for 50c a pop.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: Chun on July 25, 2008, 06:35:59 PM
Quote from: mDuo13 on July 25, 2008, 01:20:33 PM

Agreed with this. WHARGARBL

To be brutally honest, these look like the kind of accessories, in my opinion, that one would make to COMPENSATE for the fact they cannot afford better-looking gear. It's a string with beads bound together with one of those Alphabetic Bead-sets that costs ~3-5$. The color scheme and accessories are not appealing (plain round beads...), and do not complement the phrase it supports.

If you were to sell these as is, I'd put the price range at a 1$ a lanyard, if not, less, for 50c a pop.

~Chun

Well placing a lengthy phrase as such portions of the spell for dragon slave was one of my first ideas. Sadly, that takes a lot of beads and space on the strand used. Do something that lengthy and all you will see is text and no beads vs a mixture of the two. Also , yes they are plain round pony beads, but I did take into consideration the color schemes that go with each phrase on those. IE the rock lee one, it is made out of his main outfit scheme (mainly green with then orange and some black). Then for Lina, red most of her outfit and yellow to represent her chest binding. As far as charing less, like closer to a$1.00, thats sad to hear, because that wouldn't even begin to cover the beads used, especially the alphabet beads. None the less, this is the sort of opinions I need to hear. I need to know if a lot of people feel/ think this way. this will help me better predict how this will go over and if its worth my time to string these up. fyi, these lanyards are suppose to be an accessory, just something fun to wear your con badge on. 

XpHoBiaX

The pony beads I used to get are like $3.25 a bag for ones at walmart. The candy bracelets I make come from the $9 sets. They USED to be $8 somethin or other. (I buy glow in the dark beads in the bigger bags)

I try to make sets. Sets sell better and I try to put a design into them. (not just a pattern on string) Even if they are just 'plastic beads', you want to get the most out of your work. Like using two or more strands, or three etc. I think I still have examples of my Candi in "incredible things I can make". (If not I can send you images if you want)
I've got some pretty nifty beading I applied to 'plastic beading' from goofing around with glass beads.

You could very well sell your work for $7-$10, but that requires much more then just a pattern of colors on one strand. Wich in all honesty, Chun is right about $3-$5. That pretty much covers your material. You'll have to get very creative to sell them at a higher price. Especially if you want to make money.

I think you can do it. ;)

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on July 26, 2008, 12:08:22 AM
The pony beads I used to get are like $3.25 a bag for ones at walmart. The candy bracelets I make come from the $9 sets. They USED to be $8 somethin or other. (I buy glow in the dark beads in the bigger bags)

I try to make sets. Sets sell better and I try to put a design into them. (not just a pattern on string) Even if they are just 'plastic beads', you want to get the most out of your work. Like using two or more strands, or three etc. I think I still have examples of my Candi in "incredible things I can make". (If not I can send you images if you want)
I've got some pretty nifty beading I applied to 'plastic beading' from goofing around with glass beads.

You could very well sell your work for $7-$10, but that requires much more then just a pattern of colors on one strand. Wich in all honesty, Chun is right about $3-$5. That pretty much covers your material. You'll have to get very creative to sell them at a higher price. Especially if you want to make money.

I think you can do it. ;)

I would love to see the examples you are talking about ^_^. and chun wasnt saying 3-5..she was saying 1.00-50cents.

Kazuko

rude32

A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: Squeeky_Moonkin on July 26, 2008, 02:16:37 PM
I would love to see the examples you are talking about ^_^. and chun wasnt saying 3-5..she was saying 1.00-50cents.

I'll be sending you images soon ;) Prolly later this evening.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on July 27, 2008, 03:14:01 PM
Quote from: Squeeky_Moonkin on July 26, 2008, 02:16:37 PM

I'll be sending you images soon ;) Prolly later this evening.

I seem to be getting the same answer all around on separate threads from other forums I am apart of. I think I'll just do a few lanyards and see how they go, otherwise start learning how to do different types of kandi bracelets like ladders. maybe even incorporate some alphabet beads into them. Otherwise I think I may just may make some freebies as such and give them away as "thank yous" to those who purchase my other artistic items at my table. Thanks for all the comments from everyone. lol maybe this just wasn't meant to take off like i wanted it to.