Comic Concept Art! (Do me a favor!!)

Started by Lactose, July 31, 2008, 11:25:26 PM

Lactose

so my writer friend and i had this idea to do a comic together.

Something about a girl who likes to think she's a super spy and has built up this whole big mythology around her life and her friends throughout high school. Which is all fine, but now she's in college and it's not funny anymore, it's kind of sad. Her fantasies are allegories to help her deal with issues in her actual life, but they are becoming more of a place to retreat to and they are becoming darker as the book goes on and are slipping out of her control. And her fantasy life is just as depressing now. It starts out vibrant and transitions to pastels and slips into gray scale before it ends up black and white. LIke the first page is vibrant blue, red, pink, green and the last page is black.

Something like that.

so he's got about 4 pages of it written, and im trying to design the spy alterego, but hes not online, and stevens asleep, and i want feedback!

http://gravitisrainbow.deviantart.com/art/Concept-93444191  <----CLICK THIS

so my concept is that her 'spy' self is like her more badass counterpart, she's going to be sort of nerdy in the real world, glasses and long brunette hair, so the idea is that the 'spy' lets he be who she wishes she could be. i am very aware that the design is very plain for now, and im looking for critique! give me ideas on color, gadgets (like a belt or a bluetooth or something, but i dont want her to be too Erin Esurance. (ref: http://www.socialmediaexplorer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/erin-esurance.JPG)), anything at all. keep in mind this is sort of a preliminary sketch, so to speak, so im not really interested in the technical right now (ie. i know some of the lines arent as smooth as they could be, and i know that some of the edges are a little rough)

but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me what you think! i'll probably do the other side of her tomorrow, so ill put that up here when im done too.

thank you all so much! =)

edit

http://gravitisrainbow.deviantart.com/art/Concept-2-93511205  <--ALSO CLICK HERE

Concept for the "real" girl is up! Please give me feedback =)
Lactose = Liz

felicity869

I don't know, erin esurance is pretty hot. I'm guessing by your little spy ladies outfit that we're going for futuristic spy and not retro spy. If that's the case I feel like she needs some cool acessories like sunglasses that have night vision and can shoot lazers beams, or a nifty raygun...wait, I think I'm accidentally changing her into a futuristic assasian instead of spy. My bad. I fail. Just don't give her a blue tooth unless you decide you do want to make her look like miss esurance (although a belt wouldn't be a bad idea).

Jerry

I know its probably Cliche but I figure either a logo/symbol on her body suit to rep her "company" or her spy persona...

another cliche would probably be a utility belt or a joke backpack, sorta like a college backpack, but of course spy and cool looking.

I'm also curious what her nerdy 'normal' side looks like. :)
i rike Lactose's artsy side.

More hotness points for the ladies ;)
Wootz to Lactose and Felicity!  :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Lactose

Quote from: felicity869 on August 01, 2008, 08:55:42 AM
I don't know, erin esurance is pretty hot. I'm guessing by your little spy ladies outfit that we're going for futuristic spy and not retro spy. If that's the case I feel like she needs some cool acessories like sunglasses that have night vision and can shoot lazers beams, or a nifty raygun...wait, I think I'm accidentally changing her into a futuristic assasian instead of spy. My bad. I fail. Just don't give her a blue tooth unless you decide you do want to make her look like miss esurance (although a belt wouldn't be a bad idea).

laser sunglasses would be super sweet too! =D or even if they just like gave some sort of readout or heat sensors or something....hmmmm.....

i knew i could count on you guys for accessory ideas. =D
Lactose = Liz

Lactose

Quote from: Jerry on August 01, 2008, 09:11:32 AM
I know its probably Cliche but I figure either a logo/symbol on her body suit to rep her "company" or her spy persona...

another cliche would probably be a utility belt or a joke backpack, sorta like a college backpack, but of course spy and cool looking.

I'm also curious what her nerdy 'normal' side looks like. :)
i rike Lactose's artsy side.

More hotness points for the ladies ;)
Wootz to Lactose and Felicity!  :D

i like the backpack idea a lot, and maybe ill add a logo or something to her upper arm or something. =) i know she needs a belt, but i was waiting til i had some ideas of what to put on it before i put it on there. just a plain belt and she just looks like a power ranger. =P
Lactose = Liz

BrightHeart76

I think the story sounds really interesting.  I hope to get a chance to read it some time.   :D

I agree that the spy model needs something more and a belt is probably the best thing.  As far as accessories go, I keep thinking back to the fact that every college student I know has a laptop and a laptop case.  Seems like there's a lot of things a spy could do with those two items.

The normal girl reminds me a lot of Barbara Gordon.  This could easily be because I have Batman on the brain.  If I was to suggest anything to change that I would probably say she shouldn't be so well kept.  If she's so involved in her alter-ego spy fantasy I'd imagine that her own personal image would suffer some.  Maybe her hair wouldn't be so perfect or her clothes so nicely pressed.  Does that make sense?

Even if you don't change a thing I think they look awesome.  I hope this goes well for you!!!   ;D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Lactose

thank you for all the input guys =)
i like the laptop idea too, or maybe something smaller, like a pda sort of thing. i started on the first page last night. =) ill link to it as i work on it. =D
Lactose = Liz