Hey I'm going to Japan and I'll need your help! NOT MONEYWISE THOUGH LULZ

Started by Hakaru_chan, November 04, 2008, 12:12:01 PM

Hakaru_chan

I only have about one more year left to plan thing this since my family who lives there in Tokyo will have to move because of their corporate business. This is really a good opportunity for me because they live right in the middle of Tokyo I think, or thats what they said... (they live in Azabu, Tokyo) and that I can stay there under their roof and stuff for vacation (so I'm cutting down costs for accomodation). How should I go about doing this? It's really more of HOW MUCH SHOULD I BRING so that I can be full of OTAKU GOODNESS (that can be from a literal to a symbolic/POSITIVE meaning) by the time I get home (and no, it doesn't have to be shopping wise. I hate shopping actually)

I duno when I should leave or how long I should stay. Also I'm going to be going alone so I want to at least meet up with a person in Japan by the time I get there! (Maybe someone from Fanime...) My Auntie and Uncle over there might be busy so yea, someone to guide me there would definately help!

Ok I think thats it for now. More info should be available soon once I start working on this throughout the year.

Thanks for your comments.   

Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

Rei-Rei

If you plan to go alone, make sure you have someone who is familiar with Tokyo, or the Japanese language to pick you up at the airport... Trying to find your way to the Narita-Tokyo train line is very complicated... (As if the airport's subway system isn't complicated enough.)

Also it varies what you do... Heck, a hotel room costs about 300 dollars per night, and I"m not talking about high-class hotels...
Food is ridiculous.... I was eating at a small udon shop (I believe it was) at Shinjuku or Yoyogi station, and it costs me about 800 yen.. That's one of the cheapest meals I got...

And the best thing to do, exchange your dollars to yen at the airport, since I found out the hard way that there isn't many currency exchange locations, depending where you are.

Hakaru_chan

hmm thanks for the advice. my auntie and uncle would probably be the ones picking me up. but it would be good to know this just in case, let's say they leave it to me to find out where to go. hmmm... an eight to ten dollar meal is waht i was thinking it would range. if anything, i know i should set aside at least 40 dollars in food for everyday im out. i mean i could eat at their house but that feels embarrassing. 40 dollars for snacks along the day wouldn't seem bad. i think ill avoid drinking coffee since its expensive and im not planning to stay at hotels since i won't go to far from the house. err unless i get too curious and get lost.. lol

just for the info. how small was the udon you ate hmm maybe like in inches or centimeters lol im kinda like used to big eating plates and stuff lol
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

PyronIkari

Quote from: Hakaru_chan on November 04, 2008, 12:12:01 PM
Stuff

How vague...

Please be more specific in what you're asking about. If you don't have a clue how to be more specific...

good luck... you'll need it.

I don't know why you would need someone to pick you up really, it's pretty easy to take the express to Shinjuku, which will be your base station since from there you can basically get anywhere in Tokyo. Most of the stations will have romanji so it's not that difficult to get around.

In terms of money... I don't get why everyone says food is expensive in Japan. It's not. You just get slightly smaller portions than you would in the US. In some ways, it's cheaper than the states. You can get a plate of Curry at virtually any curry restaurant for about 800-980yen according to what kind of curry. Compare that with like... Mitsuwa or Curry house where you're paying upwards to 12$. Ramen stands or shops are anywhere from 600-1500yen, again according to which kind, and you can get refills of ramen for like 100-150yen according to shop. In Kyoto I got a hamburger steak, a cream cheese croquette, rice, and soup for 720yen(which was the best thing I had to eat in all of Japan).

The best thing to do, is eat like a local. Don't go to restaurants, go to local places, of "fast food" places. Since fast food is nothing like fast food in the states in any way shape or form. Indian restaurants are good filling places. You'll probably not even finish your food, and it'll never cost over 1000yen.

In terms of everything else... I don't know. What do you want to do, what do you want to see, where do you want to go? Some people can't accomplish close to what they want to do in years, others can accomplish everything they want in a few days to a few weeks. Some people care about sightseeing, others don't.

But before you even talk about stuff like that, make sure you learn about the culture and how to act in public. Ask your family for stuff like that. Even simple things... like say... where to stand while waiting for the train. What side of the escalator/sidewalk/stairs you should be staying on.

Don't act like an idiot... seriously. *I* felt embarrassed when I was walking around and foreigners would act like idiots. Especially teenagers who obviously didn't know anything about Japan except what they know from *LOLANIMU*. People running around and stuff like they do at cons and being loud and obnoxious. Something else to keep in mind... don't assume people don't understand you. Said people would also be rude and stuff right in front of people thinking they couldn't understand. Little did they know, they could, because they would then talk to their friends about it.

You have family... that live in Japan. Why are you asking for advice from a forum, filled with people who mostly HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE.

Hakaru_chan

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 04, 2008, 07:19:16 PM
Stuff

How vague...

Please be more specific in what you're asking about. If you don't have a clue how to be more specific...

good luck... you'll need it.

I don't know why you would need someone to pick you up really, it's pretty easy to take the express to Shinjuku, which will be your base station since from there you can basically get anywhere in Tokyo. Most of the stations will have romanji so it's not that difficult to get around.

In terms of money... I don't get why everyone says food is expensive in Japan. It's not. You just get slightly smaller portions than you would in the US. In some ways, it's cheaper than the states. You can get a plate of Curry at virtually any curry restaurant for about 800-980yen according to what kind of curry. Compare that with like... Mitsuwa or Curry house where you're paying upwards to 12$. Ramen stands or shops are anywhere from 600-1500yen, again according to which kind, and you can get refills of ramen for like 100-150yen according to shop. In Kyoto I got a hamburger steak, a cream cheese croquette, rice, and soup for 720yen(which was the best thing I had to eat in all of Japan).

The best thing to do, is eat like a local. Don't go to restaurants, go to local places, of "fast food" places. Since fast food is nothing like fast food in the states in any way shape or form. Indian restaurants are good filling places. You'll probably not even finish your food, and it'll never cost over 1000yen.

In terms of everything else... I don't know. What do you want to do, what do you want to see, where do you want to go? Some people can't accomplish close to what they want to do in years, others can accomplish everything they want in a few days to a few weeks. Some people care about sightseeing, others don't.

But before you even talk about stuff like that, make sure you learn about the culture and how to act in public. Ask your family for stuff like that. Even simple things... like say... where to stand while waiting for the train. What side of the escalator/sidewalk/stairs you should be staying on.

Don't act like an idiot... seriously. *I* felt embarrassed when I was walking around and foreigners would act like idiots. Especially teenagers who obviously didn't know anything about Japan except what they know from *LOLANIMU*. People running around and stuff like they do at cons and being loud and obnoxious. Something else to keep in mind... don't assume people don't understand you. Said people would also be rude and stuff right in front of people thinking they couldn't understand. Little did they know, they could, because they would then talk to their friends about it.

You have family... that live in Japan. Why are you asking for advice from a forum, filled with people who mostly HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE.

hmm true... i am asking somewhere where maybe not alot of people have been to but for the people that do know... thank you for the advice. ohh and i was just wondering on how small a bowl of food in japan looks like. cause when i meant about the eating part... i tend to put "stuff" on the end of my sentences cause yea its like the "um.."

i write like i think so yes bear with me  :(
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

XpHoBiaX

Well, can't you get like a temp work visa so you could enjoy Japan and earn some money to go do things and help out your Auntie?

O_o
It's really not that hard to get one...and it'd be an great experience for you. You'd get to know how to get around as well as be emersed in their way of life.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Hakaru_chan

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on November 04, 2008, 07:30:09 PM
Well, can't you get like a temp work visa so you could enjoy Japan and earn some money to go do things and help out your Auntie?

O_o
It's really not that hard to get one...and it'd be an great experience for you. You'd get to know how to get around as well as be emersed in their way of life.

hmm yes i heard about those... hmm where would I apply for one physically ... i'll look through my books, nah... too lazy to read  xD
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

XpHoBiaX

Well, you have to apply in person for your passport. I believe you can do all that at a post office.

If you really want to go through with this, you'll need to get all the info you need way in advance. Cuz it can take a month or too. o_o You def wouldn't want to do this last minute.

found the site I read through...at least I think it was this site
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_1168.html

2010 cosplay...?

SOawesomeness

Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

PyronIkari

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on November 04, 2008, 07:30:09 PM

O_o

Are you nuts? It's incredibly hard to get a work Visa. First off, you have to have a company back you. And you have to provide quite a lot of information stating how you're qualified to work there. A part time job? You don't qualify for a work-visa for a "part time job". No one is going to hire her and give her a work visa. Even if her Aunt fictates things and she qualifies, that's a federal crime. Seeing that you have to go through a lot of other stuff as well.

It's not that easy, and I really suggest people not "throw out ideas" that they don't really know about.

Quotehmm true... i am asking somewhere where maybe not alot of people have been to but for the people that do know... thank you for the advice. ohh and i was just wondering on how small a bowl of food in japan looks like. cause when i meant about the eating part... i tend to put "stuff" on the end of my sentences cause yea its like the "um.."

i write like i think so yes bear with me  Sad
Huh? Somewhere where maybe not alot of people have been to but for the people that do know?

What does that mean?

Portions aren't tiny. Your average person will be fine with most portions, they won't have left-overs but it will be enough.

XpHoBiaX

QuoteAre you nuts? It's incredibly hard to get a work Visa. First off, you have to have a company back you. And you have to provide quite a lot of information stating how you're qualified to work there. A part time job? You don't qualify for a work-visa for a "part time job". No one is going to hire her and give her a work visa. Even if her Aunt fictates things and she qualifies, that's a federal crime. Seeing that you have to go through a lot of other stuff as well.

It's not that easy, and I really suggest people not "throw out ideas" that they don't really know about

Actually, I do know something about this. Becuase I have one. It's not incredibly hard if you're punctual and actually commit to something. You can get a 3-6 month work Visa, depending on your stay.  So you have to do paper work, and have an address that you will be staying at, a letter or recomendation isn't necessary. Nor is going through the ebassy.

It's only hard if you are lazy and impatient.

Of course, mine has gone to waste becuase I can't afford the plane ticket. >:/

2010 cosplay...?

PyronIkari

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on November 04, 2008, 09:37:13 PM
Actually, I do know something about this. Becuase I have one. It's not incredibly hard if you're punctual and actually commit to something. You can get a 3-6 month work Visa, depending on your stay.  So you have to do paper work, and have an address that you will be staying at, a letter or recomendation isn't necessary. Nor is going through the ebassy.

It's only hard if you are lazy and impatient.

You have a Japanese work visa? Japan will not give you a visa unless you can prove you already have been accepted for a Job. Japan != every other country you can get a work visa at. I know multiple people that have work visas in Japan(as they work there right now). The embassy refused them until they could prove that they had ALREADY gotten the job, and it can't be just "any job" either. Japan is incredibly strict with visas.

Oh I forgot to add this in.

Who the hell would hire them? Getting a part-time job in Japan, when you don't speak the language fluently? When they can hire a local? Not gonna happen.

XpHoBiaX

I just re-read up on the one for Japan. (hence the slow ass reply)
I never stated that I had a Japanese work Visa. I just said "I have one." XD

I have an Australian one. Waste of time+money. >:/ (I was gonna move to Aus, then from there to Sweden, if anyone paid attention to my sporadic posts about that)
It was also a waste of money for a passport. >:/

2010 cosplay...?

PyronIkari

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on November 04, 2008, 09:52:12 PM
I just re-read up on the one for Japan. (hence the slow ass reply)
I never stated that I had a Japanese work Visa. I just said "I have one." XD

I have an Australian one. Waste of time+money. >:/ (I was gonna move to Aus, then from there to Sweden, if anyone paid attention to my sporadic posts about that)
It was also a waste of money for a passport. >:/
Then I will repeat,

"It's not that easy, and I really suggest people not "throw out ideas" that they don't really know about. "

Don't assume that it's the same for other countries.

GirlfromIpanema

I only have about one more year left to plan thing this since my family who lives there in Tokyo will have to move because of their corporate business. This is really a good opportunity for me because they live right in the middle of Tokyo I think, or thats what they said... (they live in Azabu, Tokyo) and that I can stay there under their roof and stuff for vacation (so I'm cutting down costs for accomodation). How should I go about doing this? It's really more of HOW MUCH SHOULD I BRING so that I can be full of OTAKU GOODNESS (that can be from a literal to a symbolic/POSITIVE meaning) by the time I get home (and no, it doesn't have to be shopping wise. I hate shopping actually)

Sorry, system lost my post and I have to edit and repost. 

Anyways, Mikey (Pyron, one of my best buddies, who also comes to visit me once in a while) recommended that I post here.

I live in the Azabu Area, so I can tell you quite a bit about it.  It's one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Tokyo, and rather than your traditional Japanese families, you're going to see more upper class expats (foreigners), Japanese celebrities and other people of "elite" status here in Japan.  Stores in the area are more high end and pricey, but there are buses and trains to various places, as this is fairly central.  However, it's not very close to the center of fandom.

I do not recommend working on a tourist visa, and as Mikey pointed out, it is not easy to receive a working visa in Japan.  However, there are plenty of volunteer organizations in the area that you can volunteer your time to if you would be interested in meeting locals and helping out the community. 

I'm not clear what type of answers you actually want, but please let me know if you have any specific questions.

JTchinoy

Quote from: GirlfromIpanema on November 04, 2008, 10:12:37 PM

I duno when I should leave or how long I should stay. Also I'm going to be going alone so I want to at least meet up with a person in Japan by the time I get there! (Maybe someone from Fanime...) My Auntie and Uncle over there might be busy so yea, someone to guide me there would definately help!

Ok I think thats it for now. More info should be available soon once I start working on this throughout the year.

Thanks for your comments.   

??

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

RaddaX2

What the ffffff are you even worrying about.  Just eat OATS for the rest of your life.  OMG I love OATZ.  You can eat them while doing SQUATS.  Put peanut butter in that ish, makes it taste like peanuts.  OATS. :o

Anyways on a serious note... so THIS was what you were talking about at yummy sushi today.  Dylan never mentioned this.  Seems kinda big.
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

Rei-Rei

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 04, 2008, 07:19:16 PM

I agree with this point.
It would seem obvious that you would be polite and stuff in public, but there are little rules that you need to pay attention to.
I believe you stand on the left side and walk on the right side of the escalators in Tokyo, while it's inverted in Osaka... Or the other way around.
And I'm told not to tip there.
Public manners are more strict than it is here. =\

the4ork

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 04, 2008, 09:43:52 PM
Japan != every other country you can get a work visa at.

Except the US. Working visa is impossible to get now, even if you're working for a major company such as cisco, ibm, intel, etc. They can cough up the 6 grand for the paperwork/fees a year, but theres no guarantee that you'll get the visa. Based upon a lottery. So, 6 grand a year with no guarantee for anything.
Graduate college? OPT time. Sure, you can work legally, but only for one year. If you can't somehow manage to get a working visa within the year, you have to head back to wherever you came from.
Sponsors only cough up the money now, but it is in no way a guarantee on being able to work here.

Only other way is to marry an american, but even then you have a 3+month waiting period and also no sure guarantee on getting a working visa AND it costs 3 grand. Beyond that, internships you have to pay for, what a joke eh?

Though, I am not disagreeing with you- japan is hard to get working rights but it is easier than getting working rights here in the US.
Can't even count how many of my japanese friends went back to japan because its impossible. Students, co-workers, college graduates, and the likes.

-the4ork
Fanime '99 - Never forget, never forgive.

Too many cons to list for attendance,
Too many cons to list for staff.

RETIRED 05.26.2008
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10858.0.html
Clickey clickey :D