Prop 8 debate

Started by L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu, November 04, 2008, 02:41:14 PM

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: questionette on November 05, 2008, 05:23:10 PM
Why is he not ignoring you? Because he disagrees with your beliefs, and is arguing against your point of view.  It's called debating, and that's part of what this forum subcategory is about.  Also, the fact that you can't even come up with a truly valid point makes him the winner, FYI.

Oh, and side comment.  The mayer of San Francisco said that he will continue to allow gay couples to marry until the Court intervenes. :D

Despite being bigendered and male depending on context, I'm actually biologically female. lol

Quote from: L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu on November 05, 2008, 05:27:13 PM
QuoteOh, and side comment.  The mayer of San Francisco said that he will continue to allow gay couples to marry until the Court intervenes.

Well, thats nice. Yaaaayz.

... If you can accept this, why are you so strongly against it being applied legally?! ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

questionette

LOL ops my bad I thought she was talking about pyron, sry Jun *fix'd*

And leslie, you might as well lock the topic b/c the whole thing is over and the fucktards won.  For now.

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 05, 2008, 05:29:44 PM
Why is he not ignoring you? Because he disagrees with your beliefs, and is arguing against your point of view.  It's called debating, and that's part of what this forum subcategory is about.  Also, the fact that you can't even come up with a truly valid point makes him the winner, FYI.

Oh, and side comment.  The mayer of San Francisco said that he will continue to allow gay couples to marry until the Court intervenes. :D

Despite being bigendered and male depending on context, I'm actually biologically female. lol

QuoteOh, and side comment.  The mayer of San Francisco said that he will continue to allow gay couples to marry until the Court intervenes.

... If you can accept this, why are you so strongly against it being applied legally?! ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Sar'kazm, meybi?

(User was locked out for this post)

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: questionette on November 05, 2008, 05:30:51 PM

And leslie, you might as well lock the topic b/c the whole thing is over and the fucktards won.  For now.

Wtf. I'm hella more awesome than Pyron.

Quote from: L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu on November 05, 2008, 05:33:03 PM
Sar'kazm, meybi?

Hell, it's kind of difficult to determine sarcasm when you type like an idiot on a regular basis.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

K&K4ever

Quote from: Kazuko on November 05, 2008, 02:56:40 PM
well its time to do that! Im not gonna play nice anymore, Its time to educate the ignorant and stupid who believe the lies
and apparently there is a petition to re-open 8! I signed it already, for hope
http://www.petitiononline.com/seg5130/petition.html

I have just signed the petition.

And also: GO SAN FRANSISCO!!!!

Sar'kazm, meybi?

HUH? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 05, 2008, 05:34:47 PM

Sar'kazm, meybi?

Hell, it's kind of difficult to determine sarcasm when you type like an idiot on a regular basis.

Personal problem?

Glitch

Quote from: Kazuko on November 05, 2008, 02:56:40 PM
well its time to do that! Im not gonna play nice anymore, Its time to educate the ignorant and stupid who believe the lies
and apparently there is a petition to re-open 8! I signed it already, for hope
http://www.petitiononline.com/seg5130/petition.html

A physical,paper petition would work better. But I signed this one anyway just to be one of the cool kids. XD

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: questionette on November 05, 2008, 05:23:10 PMOh, and side comment.  The mayer of San Francisco said that he will continue to allow gay couples to marry until the Court intervenes. :D
I would take it a step farther and practice Satyagraha (resistance to tyranny through mass civil disobedience) as Gandhi did in India and Martin Luther King Jr. did in the Civil Rights Movement. What is the state going to do, lock them all up?
See, history does have it's uses.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Chun

Quote from: L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu on November 05, 2008, 05:29:04 PM
I dun wanna lock this topic cuz its importent.... :'(  But this is drainin' meh.

P.S. I'm still waiting for your evidence.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Steve.Young

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 05, 2008, 05:34:47 PM

Truth.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

deonchan

Ok so I (even though I am a card carring member of the G.O.P) voted NO on 8. Though I am disheartned it passed, a colluage of mine brought up a an intresting point. A point that SFGATE points out here

QuoteOn May 15, the state Supreme Court cleared the way for same-sex marriage. The court voted 4-3 to overturn Prop. 22 and the same-sex marriage ban, ruling that the state Constitution provided a right to marry that extends to same-sex couples. The three dissenting justices argued that it was up to the voters or the Legislature, not the court, to permit same-sex marriage, a view quickly taken up by opponents of the ruling.

"Four judges ignored 4 million voters and imposed same-sex marriage on California," Prop. 8 supporters said in a TV ad. "It's no longer about tolerance. Acceptance of gay marriage is now mandatory."

It was an argument that continued all the way to election day.
But with same-sex marriage legal in California, opponents of Prop. 8 could run a totally different campaign from the type that had lost virtually every election over the issue across the nation.
Rather than arguing for same-sex marriage, opponents took the moral high ground atop the Supreme Court decision and argued that a vote for Prop. 8 was a vote for discrimination. They got another bit of help when state Attorney General Jerry Brown ordered the Prop. 8 ballot language changed to say that it "eliminates the rights of same-sex couples to marry."

Prop. 8 backers charged that politics, not legal rectitude, was behind Brown's decision. They went to court, but lost.

That allowed Prop. 8 opponents, worried that many voters were not enamored with the idea of same-sex marriage, to run a TV campaign that almost never mentioned gays or lesbians or showed them in an ad. Instead, the ads charged that Prop. 8 supporters wanted to take away rights from a single, unnamed group of people, which opponents said was not fair.

Why not just come all out with it? I know what prop 8 was about and so did many others but to just says it is Unfair and wrong... WHAT IS unfair and wrong? IMO you cannot run a campaign of obscurity. If people do not know what they are voting for, what impact it has along with all the facts there of your mission will fail every time.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Stormfalcon

I'm just hoping this bears some fruit.  Seems this didn't get reviewed by the legislature before going to the ballot.  Whoops...

http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/relationships/37706prs20081105.html
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

SOawesomeness

"Acceptance of gay marriage is now mandatory."
Aha. Ha. Ha.

Seriously.
And that sucks that it got passed, especially since it was like, what 53 to 47? D:<
At least California is attempting to change even if the residents aren't necessarily allowing it.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on November 05, 2008, 07:17:30 PM
"Acceptance of gay marriage is now mandatory."
Aha. Ha. Ha.

Seriously.
And that sucks that it got passed, especially since it was like, what 53 to 47? D:<
At least California is attempting to change even if the residents aren't necessarily allowing it.
I lol to that too.

The problem right now is that half (well, 1/20 or so) of the people that would vote no on Prop8 are still in High/Middle School (or so i like to think) while most of the people who voted yes on prop8 are older people who grew up thinking it's bad, like my parents and there parents.

Or so i would like to believe. All that is based on imaginary estimates and stereo-typing

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Mizuki

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 05, 2008, 05:29:44 PM

Sar'kazm, meybi?

Okay, This is serious business. If you're using sarcasm SAY IT. I'm tired of this crap, because people can just rewind. I also want you to respond to other people's questions/statements.

*edit*

I forgot to say. THIS IS YOUR FIRST WARNING before I exile you from this section.

Also, I'd like to point out that PROPER ENGLISH is highly recommended to post in this section without me deleting them!

Kazuko

Leslie...I have never met anyone as Ignorant as you it makes me want to facepalm everytime you cannot spell or make a effort to validate your points.
Why the Mod has stickied this is because to prove how ignorant people like you can be and its making me sick inside.

It makes me wonder why people like you procreate

LEARN TO SPELL, this is serious buisness not Byo /b/ for fracks sake so BE SERIOUS
I hope you never have kids *turbo facepalm*

Mizuki

Quote from: deonchan on November 05, 2008, 06:23:31 PM
Why not just come all out with it? I know what prop 8 was about and so did many others but to just says it is Unfair and wrong... WHAT IS unfair and wrong? IMO you cannot run a campaign of obscurity. If people do not know what they are voting for, what impact it has along with all the facts there of your mission will fail every time.

Well, unfortunetly politics is all about being obscure, and misleading, it's an old tactic they use to sway people their way, sometimes these statements include flat out lies that would work only on uneducated people on the topic. I really wish people could be more honest higher up.

Mizuki

Hi, in this post I quote someone from another forum I frequent, the original post was vulgur, and I cleaned it up so if I miss anything, I appologize.

QuoteDear California,
[screw] YOU.

[screw] you for telling me who I can and can't marry

To all those straight people that were able to vote on MY right to choose who I want to marry, [screw] YOU.

To all those religious nuts that say gay marriage goes against the bible, [screw] YOU. If you're all about the [freaking] bible then follow it word for word, don't just pick and choose. Quit eating shellfish and women, quit cutting your hair, assholes. Whoever says this has nothing to do with religion needs to STFU.

To those who didn't vote because they think it's stupid, that their vote doesn't count, or were just lazy, [screw] YOU. Including my best friend who didn't vote because "i never vote" [screw] YOU TOO.

I know other states didn't passed similar bans, but this is [freaking] CALIFORNIA. We have Ahhhhnold as our [freaking] governor, we're more liberal than shit, yet this prop doesn't pass? Seriously California? WTF? [screw] YOU.

You're saying gays are going to break the sanctity that is marriage? I don't even believe in fucking marriage. Marriage is garbage. If it's so awesome, then why do half of all marriages end in divorce? Why are there people going into their 3rd, 4th, 5th marriage? Straight people haven't a very good [freaking] job of making marriage amazing, why do you think we're gonna [screw] it up even more than it already is? And even though I don't believe in marriage, I do believe everyone is entitled to EQUAL [freaking] RIGHTS. We're not asking for anything more than you already have, we're asking for exactly what you have.

Other states, other countries have legalized gay marriage, and they are perfectly fine. Their churches have not been affected, kids in schools have not been converted, and for the [freaking] record, we don't not have a fucking agenda, and much less a fucking quota of people we want to "convert", leave that to the [freaking] mormons.

Speaking of which [screw] YOU mormons for donating $8.4 million towards the "YES ON PROP 8" movement. If you ever fucking come knocking on my door at 6am again, I am going to make out with my boyfriend in front of you until you melt. Who knows, we might even do some [things] in front of you until you implode.

I seriously expected more from you California. You are quite possibly the best state in the US of A, but today California, you have failed me.

Warm Regards,

PS [screw] YOU

sklpnda

Quote from: Mizuki on November 05, 2008, 08:34:39 PM
Hi, in this post I quote someone from another forum I frequent, the original post was vulgur, and I cleaned it up so if I miss anything, I appologize.

QuoteDear California,
[screw] YOU.

To all those straight people that were able to vote on MY right to choose who I want to marry, [screw] YOU.

To all those religious nuts that say gay marriage goes against the bible, [screw] YOU. If you're all about the [freaking] bible then follow it word for word, don't just pick and choose. Quit eating shellfish and women, quit cutting your hair, assholes. Whoever says this has nothing to do with religion needs to STFU.

To those who didn't vote because they think it's stupid, that their vote doesn't count, or were just lazy, [screw] YOU. Including my best friend who didn't vote because "i never vote" [screw] YOU TOO.

I know other states didn't passed similar bans, but this is [freaking] CALIFORNIA. We have Ahhhhnold as our [freaking] governor, we're more liberal than shit, yet this prop doesn't pass? Seriously California? WTF? [screw] YOU.

You're saying gays are going to break the sanctity that is marriage? I don't even believe in fucking marriage. Marriage is garbage. If it's so awesome, then why do half of all marriages end in divorce? Why are there people going into their 3rd, 4th, 5th marriage? Straight people haven't a very good [freaking] job of making marriage amazing, why do you think we're gonna [screw] it up even more than it already is? And even though I don't believe in marriage, I do believe everyone is entitled to EQUAL [freaking] RIGHTS. We're not asking for anything more than you already have, we're asking for exactly what you have.

Other states, other countries have legalized gay marriage, and they are perfectly fine. Their churches have not been affected, kids in schools have not been converted, and for the [freaking] record, we don't not have a fucking agenda, and much less a fucking quota of people we want to "convert", leave that to the [freaking] mormons.

Speaking of which [screw] YOU mormons for donating $8.4 million towards the "YES ON PROP 8" movement. If you ever fucking come knocking on my door at 6am again, I am going to make out with my boyfriend in front of you until you melt. Who knows, we might even do some [things] in front of you until you implode.

I seriously expected more from you California. You are quite possibly the best state in the US of A, but today California, you have failed me.

Warm Regards,

PS [screw] YOU

you missed a few "Freakings" in the Other states, other countries paragraph. just pointing that out >.>
I'd Tip My Hat To You, If I Weren't Currently Bare Headed

K&K4ever

Quote from: Mizuki on November 05, 2008, 08:34:39 PM

QuoteDear California,
[screw] YOU.

Warm Regards,

PS [screw] YOU

It's hard to argue with this.  I don't plan on it, I agree with him 100%  I went to a gay wedding, my friends Robert and Colley got hitch, and I bet that they are feeling roughly the same emotions right now.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.