Are there any particular anime series that are better dubbed?

Started by RaddaX2, November 29, 2008, 09:30:19 PM

PyronIkari

No... it's more like, any genki-chara is automatically given to Wendee Lee.

Which was kinda funny, since the job I watched over was for a oka-san chara. So it was strange hearing Wendee Lee do a voice like that. To be honest, it sounded much better than her genki-chara voice. That's one of the things that bothers me about her voice... It sounds EXACTLY the same for every genki-chara she does. If you go back and listen to Excel, it matches Haruhi, and Konata exactly. Same delivery and everything. Well this is partially do with vocal direction as well.

Aru Sakayama

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 30, 2008, 06:30:45 PM
No... it's more like, any genki-chara is automatically given to Wendee Lee.

Which was kinda funny, since the job I watched over was for a oka-san chara. So it was strange hearing Wendee Lee do a voice like that. To be honest, it sounded much better than her genki-chara voice. That's one of the things that bothers me about her voice... It sounds EXACTLY the same for every genki-chara she does. If you go back and listen to Excel, it matches Haruhi, and Konata exactly. Same delivery and everything. Well this is partially do with vocal direction as well.

No wonder why it took me 3-4 re-listens to tell the difference between whether she was Haruhi-voicing or Konata-voicing on the English dub of episode 16.
Blaaah...I don't feel like doing anything....

ThatBlueDinosaurGuy

Kono bangumi wa, goran no sponsor teikyou de, o kurishimasu ka

PyronIkari

Quote from: Aru Sakayama on December 30, 2008, 06:48:52 PM

No wonder why it took me 3-4 re-listens to tell the difference between whether she was Haruhi-voicing or Konata-voicing on the English dub of episode 16.

Doesn't this contradict what you said about it being a good dub? And how she was perfect for the role?

... ... ...

Aru Sakayama

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 01, 2009, 11:29:59 PM
Quote from: Aru Sakayama on December 30, 2008, 06:48:52 PM

Doesn't this contradict what you said about it being a good dub? And how she was perfect for the role?

... ... ...

I take back what I said about Wendee Lee being the perfect role.
Okay, maybe Lucky Star's not better off English dubbed after all, but it's still a fun watch in both languages.

(Maybe I should have pleaded the 5th and ignored this topic in the first place.)
Blaaah...I don't feel like doing anything....

FanFicGuru

Unfortunately, while there are some single roles in a number of different Anime where I thought the dub was very good, I find it hard to think of any series as a WHOLE that has been dubbed that is on par or superior to the original Japanese.

I am curious to re-watch them in french/spanish now though lol.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Jun-Watarase

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

sykoeent

Special Duty Combat Unit SHINESMAN!

and the Story of Little Monica!
;D ;D ;D

sweetchorizo

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 03, 2009, 12:23:15 PM
Unfortunately, while there are some single roles in a number of different Anime where I thought the dub was very good, I find it hard to think of any series as a WHOLE that has been dubbed that is on par or superior to the original Japanese.

I've gotten a few reports that the spanish Dub of death note (which I didn't even know existed) Is way better than the english or even the japanese versions.  When I get my hands on a copy I'll let you folks know.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: sweetchorizo on January 08, 2009, 04:04:01 AM

I've gotten a few reports that the spanish Dub of death note (which I didn't even know existed) Is way better than the english or even the japanese versions.  When I get my hands on a copy I'll let you folks know.

Spanish speaking Ryuk? Heh, all right!

LordKefka

Man, the only way I can answer this is if I can understand jp to a certain degree to tell the dub is better...

EDIT: I take that back, no jp VA can beat the hell I went through with AzuDaioh and/or Lova Hina xD
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

sweetchorizo

Quote from: JohnnyAR on January 08, 2009, 02:46:55 PM
Quote from: sweetchorizo on January 08, 2009, 04:04:01 AM

Spanish speaking Ryuk? Heh, all right!

I think you might like this look up Death Note(Doblado En Castellano)**Trailer** on you tube im hoping for an americanized spanish dub

JohnnyAR

outcast

English dub only work for certain animes. FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Full Metal Alchemist all sounded really good in english.

PyronIkari

Quote from: outcast on January 21, 2009, 04:41:06 PM
English dub only work for certain animes. FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Full Metal Alchemist all sounded really good in english.

FLCL sounded good for what it was in English, but it's not even comparable to the JP version.

ryuyasha

Sunara Ishi

I don't know about better but Excel Saga is amusing and fun to watch both subbed and dubbed. XD;

Especially the america episode.

Quote from: mDuo13 on December 03, 2008, 01:24:31 PM
German dubs are where it's at.
I know this is an old post but those are darn amusing. Especially Sailor Moon and Chibi Usagi. XD
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

havok rt

Yu-gi-Oh! and One Piece. Well pretty much anything by 4-kids is on my list.
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

deemoelester

Digimon Dubbed is absolutely hilarious but as the series carries on, the hilarity just makes it... not as epic. Cowboy Bebop has a great dub, and Trigun isn't that bad. Serial Experiments Lain could've gone either way since there isn't much talking involved.
Honestly, I have the hugest soft spot for Vic Mignogna so everything he's done, most notably Tamaki from Ouran, Edward Elric, and Faye from Tsubasa, I absolutely love, although the rest of the dub (espicially Ouran, good loard that was just.. aweful dubbed) isn't as great.

RooBird

Fullmetal Alchemist. I only say this because I heard the dub first so I'm used to Ed and Al having more boyish sounding voices. So, when I heard the Japanese version with Ed and Al sounding more girlish I almost winced. But, I have no problem with the sub, it's pretty good if you're not used to the dub.

Plus, I felt the casting for the english dub of FMA was pretty spot on.
Fanime 2013 Cosplays:
FemmeMedic (Team Fortress 2)