Giving away...? Is that okay?

Started by Raymei, December 16, 2008, 11:12:41 PM

Raymei

Something in another thread brought this to mind:

If I want to give away treats like fudge or cookies at the con to people I know here on the boards (not strangers, unless maybe their friends), can I do that from my table?
I figure that's going to be the easiest and, 85% of the time, surest way people are going to be able to find me, and I know we're not supposed to sell home-baked goods, but if I'm just giving it to forum-friends, would that be okay? 
If this is too much of a gray area, I understand  (but I wanted to check before taking any risks).

ewu

I would super not recommend it if you did it from your table. It has the implication that there is sales....then there's food permit stuff that is separate from your seller's permit. Honestly giving food away and all is just not a good idea. Liability for you and potentially the con.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Raymei

Quote from: ewu on December 16, 2008, 11:33:10 PM
I would super not recommend it if you did it from your table. It has the implication that there is sales....then there's food permit stuff that is separate from your seller's permit. Honestly giving food away and all is just not a good idea. Liability for you and potentially the con.

check.  Thought it might be something with the same effect, at least. 
Oh well, hopefully I can make it to the Christmas party then  :P  Thanks a bunch!

Steve.Young

Easier to just not do it than have to deal with the potential problems that may arise.

In the past, people have tried to give away food but were told to stop.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

DomoKun

You can do it off the convention grounds, or ask them to come by your hotel room

ewu

Quote from: DomoKun on January 30, 2009, 03:27:26 PM
ask them to come by your hotel room

that seems to have a shady/dangerous element to it.....
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

DomoKun

oh sorry, i didn't mean it that way. but i've met many friendly people just hanging out in hotel lobbys

Long

Quote from: ewu on January 30, 2009, 03:37:29 PM

xD It's a trap!

"Hey little boy... Want some food? Come by my hotel room. I gots your Turkish Delight." xD

Jerry

technically dont even mention that said food or personally made treats are being given, sold, or otherwise randomly left out for consumption.

besides, we know we all do it-

heck if i was offered free food, *trap or not*  I'd probably eat it [it was or looked like semi normal food]

here's to hoping i find a random "abandoned" cookies that need a good home :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

xXunyuuXx

I love food 0///0
My friend always lured me like that for what ever we do >.>;;
I use to give out free Pocky at Fanime like...2 years ago I think and I stop after since
I had a whole bunch of Naruto came and ate up my whole basket. I had like 500 sticks with me gone
in like 3 hours >///<

XpHoBiaX

I personally go with the "Do Not Feed Wild Animals" sort of deal. It's not your job to feed people, they can feed themselves.

:D

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Jerry

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on February 12, 2009, 08:35:48 PM
It's not your job to feed people, they can feed themselves.

:D

*exception of my friends. I usually feed them well.

Just dont walk up to me and expect to become instant friends with me.
[im totally lying though] u wouldnt believe how many times ppl walk up to me at Con [usually in the middle of the night of the AM hours]

Person i dont know or recognize: " Hi Jerry!!! Wanna get some food? " :D

Me: " Do I know you? Meh, whatever lets get some Jack in the box, I feel like an Ultimate Chezberger ".
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

ewu

Quote from: Jerry on February 13, 2009, 08:43:26 AM
Person i dont know or recognize: " Hi Jerry!!! Wanna get some food? " :D

Me: " Do I know you? Meh, whatever lets get some Jack in the box, I feel like an Ultimate Chezberger ".
*realizes name is on badge*
Me: "You just want to take advantage of my awesome....OK, lets go"
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Raymei

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on February 12, 2009, 08:35:48 PM
It's not your job to feed people, they can feed themselves.

I feel like this lesson in life is being hammered into me lately  T_T;;;;
I like doing stuff like this  (ex: brought an ENORMOUS amount of American candy with me to Japan --stuff I thought they wouldn't have there as well-- to give out to people.)

It's just fun.

RadioactiveKitty

Quote from: ewu on January 30, 2009, 03:37:29 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA this is very true XD

SirVincent

oh god, giving things out at con works some times and back fires even more. last year i had 3 boxes of monster energy drinks. So on Satorday night I still had 2 1/2 boxes left. I was like "oh I know what i'll do i'll give some out".
So any way I did, give some away and got to meet some nice people, but then I meet like 3 girls in a row and the conversation when some thing like this.
girl walks up.
Me: "hello would you like a drink?"
girl: "why would you give out free drinks?"
me: "to be nice and meet people."
girl: "like hell, you drugged them and your going to rape me!"
me: "ummm no!?!?"
girl: "I know @#$%ed up guys like you go to hell and die!"
me: "ok, none for you!"

after 3 conversations like that i gave up on being nice. this year ill just give out glow sticks.
Some times you have to get away for it all and other times you must get back to it all.

ewu

glow sticks = evil....see dance thread
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: SirVincent on March 16, 2009, 09:30:20 PM
oh god, giving things out at con works some times and back fires even more. last year i had 3 boxes of monster energy drinks. So on Satorday night I still had 2 1/2 boxes left. I was like "oh I know what i'll do i'll give some out".
So any way I did, give some away and got to meet some nice people, but then I meet like 3 girls in a row and the conversation when some thing like this.
girl walks up.
girl: "like hell, you drugged them and you going to rape me!"

after 3 conversations like that i gave up on being nice. this year ill just give out glow sticks.
This made me lulz

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

xXunyuuXx

girl walks up.

0.0?
I would gladly accepted the offer of it was me since I am naive to think about whether they put anything inside @_@

Loreax

girl walks up.

It was their loss, and how do you drug a sealed (can?) container anyway? you should have had a girl giving them out with you... A really pretty one.. lol.