Badge Cancelation

Started by Eternity Sundering, December 28, 2008, 10:44:12 PM

Eternity Sundering

As the title says, how would one go about canceling a badge order?

ewu

If you have paid, we cannot offer a refund. This was predominantly displayed on the payment page.

If you have not paid, our database will purge all accounts unpaid when we reach a certain point in the registration process and timeline.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Eternity Sundering

Thanks, I saw the paid notification, but didn't see anything on a non-payment.

sailormoonhdn

I understand that you cannot get a refund but can you change the name on the badge? I'm planning to take two of my little brothers to the convention, but I'm not certain if they can go because of school. So if I purchase their ticket now but they are unable to attend, can I transfer it to someone else who can go?

ewu

What we sell is a membership to a person, because it is as such, the memberships cannot be refunded or transfered. At first, I thought this was a clever scheme to make more money, but apparently it has something to do with taxes that I am not fully educated about.

I will personally vouch that I have never seen the chair or anybody in any position to handle money swim in a pool of it...as much as they would like to.... Fanime does not have wads of cash as we take the surplus earnings of each year and have to date put it back into improving the convention.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

SOawesomeness

School? :0
Unless they're on a field trip or something, they should be able to go since the majority of Fanime is during Saturday and Sunday. Monday is usually no-school day since it's Memorial day. :0!
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Mew

Quote from: ewu on December 29, 2008, 10:15:55 AM
What we sell is a membership to a person, because it is as such, the memberships cannot be refunded or transfered.

Really?? In the past I've been able to transfer badges for people in my group to someone else because the person couldn't make it. I always thought that you can't change the name by editing your account but if you email registration, they'll do it for you.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

ewu

Standing policy has been a no, but if there are special circumstances like a death in the family, we are more accommodating.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

sailormoonhdn

Are you serious? Although it is a holiday, my brothers have chinese school and they don't really care about American holidays Not to mention it will be a 10 hour drive. I also remember that in the past you could transfer the badge to a new name because like you said we did pay for it. The badge to me is the same as a ticket to an amusement park. You pay for one admission, so someone should be able to go if you're not able to go. So even if Fanime is not trying to make extra money, in a sense they are. The price for admission have gone up alot more than what it used to be years ago and they can't say that the economy is bad that is why the price have gone up. I am taking business class, and to be exact the prices are going to down to be competitive. not sure where all this is going but i feel that a no refund policy is not fair. beside isn't it against the law? I thought in Cali that you have to have a return policy especially if you collected the money before the convention even starts.

SOawesomeness

Fanime distributes memberships, not admissions... To me it would be like saying you want to join a gym. The membership is most likely non-transferable(depending on the contract) and if ya bought a membership and paid for it, after a certain period, I know that most will allow you ta cancel it, but you don't get a refund back. It isn't based on if you actually go/don't go to the gym. Though for prices, I'm sure you've heard of the inflation principal in your business class, as well as supply and demand.

For a lot of (major) conventions here in California, as long as they state their cancellation/refund policy beforehand, they're entitled to either give refunds or not even before the convention starts. I'm 100% set that it is not against the law.

For official word though, I'd say to e-mail registration about your specific position. Good luck! (:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

M

Quote from: sailormoonhdn on January 31, 2009, 01:30:44 AM
Are you serious? Although it is a holiday, my brothers have chinese school and they don't really care about American holidays Not to mention it will be a 10 hour drive. I also remember that in the past you could transfer the badge to a new name because like you said we did pay for it. The badge to me is the same as a ticket to an amusement park. You pay for one admission, so someone should be able to go if you're not able to go. So even if Fanime is not trying to make extra money, in a sense they are. The price for admission have gone up alot more than what it used to be years ago and they can't say that the economy is bad that is why the price have gone up. I am taking business class, and to be exact the prices are going to down to be competitive. not sure where all this is going but i feel that a no refund policy is not fair. beside isn't it against the law? I thought in Cali that you have to have a return policy especially if you collected the money before the convention even starts.
FanimeCon sells memberships (to confirm what Chiri said). It is stated on the Registration website before you "confirm" that you would like a membership in bright red text what our "refund" policy is ("Membership purchases are final and no Refunds are issued"). This is the same membership that I've seen in gyms and is not illegal; If the convention ended up not happening (for whatever reason), then it would be a breach of contract on our part and we would have to issue refunds (this needs clarification from our Legal team), but that's the only time I've ever heard of a convention giving refunds.

The economy isn't the main reason why membership prices are going up, but you do make a good point that the bad economy are making most prices fall.

It is true that we have let people change the name on their pre-registration badges, but this has generally been on a case-by-case basis (one of the reasons we did it was for the reason that Eric mentioned -- death in the family).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!