Black and White Ball Attire Questions - Post them here

Started by tkdteo, January 06, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

boots01

hmm...  hot topic has several kinds of boots.  could you get a pic of them or maybe find them on their website and post a link?
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

steinxkid

Quote from: boots01 on May 15, 2009, 07:12:04 PM
hmm...  hot topic has several kinds of boots.  could you get a pic of them or maybe find them on their website and post a link?
heres the web link: http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Shoes/Boots/Nana-Black-Overlay-Pole-Climber-Boot-307940.jsp

boots01

hmm...  well, on a personal level, i love the boots, but because they're lace up, i wouldn't really consider them formal.  however, i think that maybe they can work, depending on the dress.  they are kinda a tough call because boots in general aren't exactly formal but it depends on the boot and the outfit. 
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

steinxkid

ok well i'll just bring a pair of heels just in case. :(

boots01

-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

boots01

Quote from: steinxkid on May 15, 2009, 08:29:11 PM
ok well i'll just bring a pair of heels just in case. :(
this is a good idea in general - having a back up plan.  come by one of the lessons if you have questions and we can give a yay or nay on an outfit
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Cosplay Cyborg

I have some questions....

Firstly, are there designated dance partners for the more "proper" dances at the B&W Ball? If so, am I allowed to bring my dance partner with me?

Secondly, would a "formal version" of a specific character be acceptable? For example, I wanted to make a "formal Mokuba Kaiba" from YuGiOh, so I would probably have Mokuba's hairstyle and possibly the card pendant and a few other things that make him look like the character?

Thirdly, more in regards to the "Bring your own partner" business... My partner wanted to wear this, but I'm not entirely sure if the girl's dress is formal enough:   http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/lilzanchan/rinlen_adolescence.jpg

Forth...ly...? That sounded weird... >___< What kinds of dances will there be? I wanted to know in case I decide on a certain pair of shoes versus a different pair of shoes. One cosplay will have dress shoes but the other would have boots so... anything that can help would be appreciated.

Ah, and since people asked what kinda boots someone else had, I'll describe the ones I have since well... My camera's busted right now.

They are black, calf-length boots with zip-up sides. The zippers are not visible when zipped and they have a gold buckle with two leather straps. They're not as detailed as boots from Hot Topic are, and to me they look rather plain, so I wanted to ask just to be sure. Thanks!

And thanks again for the help. I'm sorry for the onslaught of questions just two days before con. ^^;

- Cy

boots01

Quote from: Cosplay Cyborg on May 18, 2009, 11:58:54 PM
Firstly, are there designated dance partners for the more "proper" dances at the B&W Ball? If so, am I allowed to bring my dance partner with me?
the ball is a social ball which means that there are no designated partners.  we encourage people to dance with as many people as possible.  this isn't to say you can't have a partner, but don't dance with only them all night.
QuoteSecondly, would a "formal version" of a specific character be acceptable? For example, I wanted to make a "formal Mokuba Kaiba" from YuGiOh, so I would probably have Mokuba's hairstyle and possibly the card pendant and a few other things that make him look like the character?
yes, formal versions of cosplay are fine and encouraged
QuoteThirdly, more in regards to the "Bring your own partner" business... My partner wanted to wear this, but I'm not entirely sure if the girl's dress is formal enough:   http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/lilzanchan/rinlen_adolescence.jpg
i think her dress would be fine though i can't see the bottom
QuoteForth...ly...? That sounded weird... >___< What kinds of dances will there be? I wanted to know in case I decide on a certain pair of shoes versus a different pair of shoes. One cosplay will have dress shoes but the other would have boots so... anything that can help would be appreciated.
you can expect pretty much any and every kind of ballroom dance style music
QuoteAh, and since people asked what kinda boots someone else had, I'll describe the ones I have since well... My camera's busted right now.

They are black, calf-length boots with zip-up sides. The zippers are not visible when zipped and they have a gold buckle with two leather straps. They're not as detailed as boots from Hot Topic are, and to me they look rather plain, so I wanted to ask just to be sure. Thanks!
those boots sound fine
QuoteAnd thanks again for the help. I'm sorry for the onslaught of questions just two days before con. ^^;

- Cy
no problem
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Kyra_Maverick

How short is too short for a dress? My dress is about 1 1/2" - 2" above the top of my knee, but still a few inches past the tips of my fingers. I can bend down easily without giving everyone a show, which I imagine is the main stipulation.

Please ignore the weird shape my hand is in...

boots01

yup.  you are quite correct as to the reason and the length looks fine.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Kyra_Maverick

questionette

boots01

-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Kites-kun

May I wear a white ruffly shirt (cuffs are lacy and ruffley, and it has a jbot/cravat that is also lacey and ruffly), black suit jacket and pants, with a suit vest? Im just asking because of the red vest ^^

boots01

-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

anime4me

I just wanted to verify:  do men need to wear a jacket?  My boyfriend has nice pants, nice shoes, a nice shirt, and a tie, but he doesn't want to buy a jacket.  Thanks.
Sheena Fujibayashi: Did you see my attack?
Zelos Wilder: Oh yeah, baby, I was watching.
Sheena Fujibayashi: For some reason, I don't think that's what you were focusing on.

boots01

jacket's aren't required but they do look nice.  i would encourage him to get one, but it's not necessary.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Mephistopheles

Would black slacks, a black undershirt, and a white fur-collared coat (sports coat-style) be considered acceptable attire? (one of the alternate costumes for "The King," from Fate/Stay Night; here's an image: http://s590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/Mephistopheleantactician/?action=view&current=Gilaltcostume.jpg)

It will be my cosplay, and I'm wondering whether I'll need to pack an extra suit, purely for the ball. It will (hopefully) look rather formal, but it doesn't quite conform to the whole collared shirt/tie look, so I figured that it'd be worth checking, so as to avoid being turned away at the door.

Kuromi_Kat

I guess this is the place to ask;

I have NEVER been to the black and white ball, but I REALLY wanna go. So without thinking, spur of the moment, I picked up a dress. If the image I attached is not clear, it is a dark brown and pink ribbon. I didn't think about "Black And White" All I was thinking when I picked this one out was "Formal, formal, formal, what is formal?" So I set out looking for formal.

I was also looking for something with class that was not too short, this DOES come right above my knees. It is not indecent, it has a dark slip underneath.

ALSO will they allow crossplayers?

Here is the picture Link (my phone takes large pictures -.-)
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp18/hellokittyboi/1114091530a.jpg