Worst Movie Adaptations ...EVER!

Started by G.I.R, February 16, 2009, 09:28:53 PM

G.I.R

First we had  The Worst Sequel thread, then the Worst Remake thread, so It's time to have a "Worst Adaptation thread.
Post some of the worst movies adapted from another source (I.E. T.V shows, Comic books, Video games, books, etc).

I'll start of with that classic comic-book movie adaptation from the 1980's:  Howard the Duck

otakuapprentice

Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

XpHoBiaX

Twilight......
;D

Just thought I'd toss that out here and see what would happen. 8)

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

BrightHeart76

Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

G.I.R

Gatsby

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on February 16, 2009, 09:37:01 PM
Twilight......
;D

Just thought I'd toss that out here and see what would happen. 8)

Winrar.

Super Mario Bros. to t.v. show.

XpHoBiaX

Super Mario Bros, to tv show, to movie, and THEN back to tv shows.

lol

and the comment about Twilight is my own biased opinion. So yes, it is to an extent, the Truth. lawl.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

G.I.R

Rette

Eragon... not that the book was that great, but how did they make the movie WORSE?

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

Gatsby

A Series of Unfortunate Events. They raped the books.

G.I.R

The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

The killed the whole franchise for me.

Rette

Quote from: G.I.R on February 16, 2009, 10:03:21 PM

Could be worse, could be the miniseries from the 80s or whenever they made it.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

otakuapprentice

Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Runewitt

Quote from: Rette on February 16, 2009, 10:17:07 PM

hey, that was good because it was bad. okay?
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

G.I.R

Naw,  the T.V. series (from 1981) was Much better.  At least the story strayed true to the radio series.

rude32

I've got the ultimate winner right here. The Double Dragon movie.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Rette

I liked the recent movie, but I'm sure it was only cause I've read all the books. Yes, it was different from the books, but it wasn't a bad movie. (and Alan Rickman was so good as Marvin, and Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast)

Quote from: Runewitt on February 16, 2009, 11:05:44 PM
I completely agree that things can be good because they're so bad, but we must acknowledge that they're bad.

Quote from: G.I.R on February 16, 2009, 11:21:48 PM

Naw,  the T.V. series (from 1981) was Much better.  At least the story strayed true to the radio series.

In the case of the 1981 one, it was true to the radio series, but I thought the visual aspect was unwatchable. In this case I'd rather just listen to it and leave the rest to the imagination. The new movie had some brilliant designs. I particularly liked the scene where Slartibartfast is taking Arthur on a tour of the factory, it was very nicely done. Obviously they didn't have the same special effects capabilities in 1981, so it can't really compare, but it was generally kind of dull.

SOawesomeness

I'm going to predict... Dragon Ball. o:!
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

G.I.R

Quote from: Rette on February 16, 2009, 11:27:57 PM
I liked the recent movie, but I'm sure it was only cause I've read all the books. Yes, it was different from the books, but it wasn't a bad movie. (and Alan Rickman was so good as Marvin, and Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast)

Quote from: Runewitt on February 16, 2009, 11:05:44 PM
I completely agree that things can be good because they're so bad, but we must acknowledge that they're bad.

Quote from: G.I.R on February 16, 2009, 11:21:48 PM

In the case of the 1981 one, it was true to the radio series, but I thought the visual aspect was unwatchable. In this case I'd rather just listen to it and leave the rest to the imagination. The new movie had some brilliant designs. I particularly liked the scene where Slartibartfast is taking Arthur on a tour of the factory, it was very nicely done. Obviously they didn't have the same special effects capabilities in 1981, so it can't really compare, but it was generally kind of dull.
For the time, the visuals wee quite good (especially the "Guides" animations) and were much better than the effects of the time BBC were doing for shows like Dr. Who and Blakes Seven, but there is more than just effects that make an adaptation bad.

Example:  Logans Run (1975) had atrocious effects, but was quite good in other aspects (even though it strayed from the novel somewhat.
Example 2:  Howard the Duck had some really good effects, but failed in every other way (acting, story, music, you name it).

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh
I'm going to predict... Dragon Ball. o:!
You are judging it before it comes out                                              ... but you probably right.   :D         

JTchinoy

I didn't read the book but I love that movie.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X