What Manga Are You Reading Lately?

Started by mDuo13, February 20, 2009, 12:05:00 AM

mDuo13

Fill us in on what series you follow regularly or are currently catching up on. Don't just list names, though, talk about what you think of it!

Personally I read Aa! Megami-sama chapters whenever they get scanlated (I also own a fair number of hardcopies), and consider it my favorite manga. I've been following it somewhat inconsistently for years and years now (back since Dark Horse had only put out like 5 flopped volumes, and you could buy separate chapters in the comic book store for like $2.50) and I just love everything about it; the characters are like old friends to me now, the art has remained beautiful even as it changes through the years; the pacing is great, the balance of action, comedy, and drama is just to my taste...

I'm also currently following Kozue Amano's new manga, Amanchu!. It looks and seems paced a lot like ARIA (to the surprise of no one) so far. Speaking of ARIA, I've been reading that, too, though slowly (in part because I'm reading it in Japanese; in part because I don't want to run out of volumes to read).

Additionally, I read REC whenever scanlations come out (which is rare). It's pretty entertaining in that melodramatic, ecchi kind of way.

About a year ago I caught up on Hunter x Hunter, which unfortunately is on hiatus more often than not. But I have hope that it will continue someday and be awesome when it does.

And recently I caught up on One Piece, which is also a pretty entertaining and moving story, although the I had to learn to just accept the goofy physics and art style. (The art did improve over time, though.) Best thing about One Piece is that it seems pretty reliable about coming out week after week. And the craziest thing is, it's been going on for well over 500 chapters now and it only feels like it's getting bigger and more epic, like it won't come close to concluding within years.

Oh yeah, and for kicks, Code Geass: Knightmare of Nunnally, which is pretty out there but kinda cool. The more I read it, the more I can take it semi-seriously.

I think that about covers it for me. What about everyone else? Something in particular really grabbing your heart lately? Wondering what other people think of something you're following? Perennial favorites you can't help but talk about? Chat it up!

Yukari Kaiba

lets see, what I'm currently reading...

Skip Beat - friend of mine suggested the title to me a while ago, and now I'm fully caught up and current with the chapters. Its a fantastic shojo with a great female lead (one of the few who I don't find annoying), and I'm caught up in the anime now too. Me and a few friends hope to cosplay from the series later this year.

07-Ghost - just started reading this today XD I remember getting a bookmark promoting the series in my AX goodie bag but never got around to looking it up. Found the bookmark today and looked it up, and am now enjoying the series immensely. Love the character design (especially the academy uniforms).

Bleach - have been reading this for awhile of course, but the recent chapters have gotten really good with Ulquiorra's release form. Am hoping that Grimmjow will make his return somewhat soon and confirm what many believe to be that he isn't dead yet XD

I need to catch up on a few other series, like High School Debut, and am eagerly awaiting the return of new chapters for D. Grayman, but for now these 3 are what I'm currently really into.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

mDuo13

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on February 20, 2009, 01:08:30 AMAm hoping that Grimmjow will make his return somewhat soon and confirm what many believe to be that he isn't dead yet XD
Oh, come on, it's Bleach. Nobody in that series really dies. =P

JohnnyAR

I tried reading Gantz in spanish...

didn´t work too well...

obliviousedward

Hmm, let's see...

Loveless - I got into this back when it first came out (I think?  Maybe a little later than that), and I enjoy it quite a bit.  I absolutely LOVE Yun Kouga's art style, and while there are some bits in the storyline that make me go, "Wha...?", I really like the plot.  (I admit that I also hang around for the light shounen-ai moments that occasionally happen in it.  Hehe. XD)

Ouran High School Host Club - I'm not reading this one as much anymore, but I still do read it.  I got into it when I saw that a friend of mine was selling the first two volumes at a yard sale.  When they didn't sell, I borrowed them and read them and totally got into it. XD  I bought the volumes from her and started reading the whole series.  Lately, I've been reading it online (since the Borders here is lagging in getting the more recent volumes out), and my interest has lessened slightly after seeing the direction the story is going. *shrug*  Either way, I still enjoy the earlier volumes; I like the earlier character developments, plus there are some great gags that give me a laugh when I need it. XD

Fruits Basket - A friend of mine got me into this back when I was in high school; she had, like, the first five or six volumes that were out, and I think I borrowed them from her.  I ended up really liking it and I've been reading it as the volumes come out ever since. :3  I can be a real sucker for drama (and angst) when I want to be, so I guess this series hits the spot when those moments arise. XD;;  It was interesting to watch this series change over time; when it first came out, it was really light-hearted for the most part, but as the series progressed it became more and more dark.  I'm guessing the series it starting to near its end, so now I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Well, these are the only manga I'm reading recently.  I'll probably get into a few more, but we'll see.  Real life tends to get in the way of me finding new things to semi-obsess over.  Hehe.  (I haven't actually obsessed over any series since Gundam Wing, so... meh.  I think that's a good thing, though. XD)
Fanime '16 Cosplay:
To be announced...!

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: mDuo13 on February 20, 2009, 10:26:27 AM
Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on February 20, 2009, 01:08:30 AMAm hoping that Grimmjow will make his return somewhat soon and confirm what many believe to be that he isn't dead yet XD

some of them do - majority of them are bad guys, but Kaien died and ended up having his body taken over by a hollow (ended up getting killed later).
so yeah a lot of them don't, but to say nobody really dies isn't necessarily true.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

Rette

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on February 26, 2009, 12:35:14 PM
Quote from: mDuo13 on February 20, 2009, 10:26:27 AM

some of them do - majority of them are bad guys, but Kaien died and ended up having his body taken over by a hollow (ended up getting killed later).
so yeah a lot of them don't, but to say nobody really dies isn't necessarily true.

Maybe it's like One Piece. No one ever dies, except in flashbacks, in which case, everyone is at risk or murder and mayhem.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

ININ

Full Metal Alchemist  On a personal note, the series saved me from quitting anime.  Edward Elric is a smart guy and he's growing up as the series progress.

Tsubasa Chronicles  I'm giving the series priority in catching up.  I'm on vol 190 and it's getting great.  Lots of questions being answered from the beginning.  Seeing Syaoran solving problems and figuring out the evil's plot is awesome.

Bleach  When I see Hitsugaya in action, I smile big time ^^^^  I rep him big time.  Big?!?!

Nana  I'm way behind.  My cousin got me into the series.  Watched 8 episodes and then I want to read the manga thereafter.  Best drama I read and watched.

@mduo13, Bleach is a good series.  It appeals to the mainstream  :)

mDuo13

I've got nothing against Bleach. I watched some 40-plus episodes of the anime and I've been somewhat kept up with events in the manga by my former roommate, and I'm probably not gonna put any more of my time into it, but no hate for those who read it. I just kinda like to poke fun at the really shounen way Renji and Kenpachi and people like them keep coming back.

Evangelion Xgouki

Fruits Basket - I'm not really sure how I started reading this series actually ^^;;.  But whatever the reason was I was glad I did.  It's an excellent story and the revelations in the last few volumes were just  :o.  I'll even admit I teared up a few times.  Even though it's shoujo I'd recommend it to anyone  ;D

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - Saw the series then started reading the manga.  Now I'm really, really hooked on it.  While the anime was ok, it definitely lacks something.  I'm not sure what it is but reading the manga and seeing CLAMP's art at its finest (and all the little details...oh god the 2-page spreads  :o) never ceases to amaze me.  And the story now has twisted and moved in ways I would not have expected at all.  They need to come out faster, damn it!!

Yu-Gi-Oh - Yea, I know all about the things people say about the series.  Even so there's something about it that keeps me reading.  The interactions between characters and how they all change and grow over the volumes is nicely done.  I've seen the entire animated series (subbed....really badly subbed but I'd rather watch that than the 4kids version...urg) and while it was likable the manga has a lot more of the caracter development that I prefer.  Not to mention reading their actual names rather than the dubbed version is soo much better (Joey? Tea? pfffff.... Jonouchi and Anzu ftw).  Though since they did that I'm a bit disappointed they couldn't leave the card names the same, too (I mentally replace Silfer with Osiris even I read >_>).

RaddaX2

I think I was reading Blame! last time but I couldn't get into it.  I think I was 300 chapters in and I STILL didn't know wtf was going on.  I might try it again sometime later when I might be capable of appreciating it but just not now.
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

RadioactiveKitty

Eerie Queerie... its not as "queer" as it sounds XD I RECCOMEND IT! it is rather comical XD

Mizuki

Hokuto no Ken: Jagi's Story: Giving a character who was seen as the poopstain of Hokuto Shinken gets a story where it makes you feel sorry for the poor guy, plus Anna is pretty cute.

Mirai Nikki: Two words. Translate Faster.

Nanashi

I've been reading Mysterious Girlfriend X for awhile...I just started reading Toradora! and Vinland Saga.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

Esperado

...well. Let's see~.

Tegami Bachi - I don't know exactly why I like it so much, but it's just completely amazing. Maybe it's the giant bug things that run around killing things in the lightless parts of Amberground 8D And the adorable main character that looks way too much like Allen Walker for his own good.

Ouran High School Host Club - Recently started reading this due to my friend Erin and fell in love with it after the first five minutes. I'm cosplaying as either Kaoru or Hikaru on Monday c: I love comedy manga, I really, really do~ -hums-

D.Gray-man - Well, at least, I was, until I finally caught up and discovered 'Oh, sorry, Hoshino-sensei's sick, no more updates for you!' and went 'ASDFH THIS HAPPENS EVERY TIME -headesk-' Luckily, it's returning either later this month or in April, so I can indulge in it's amazingness once more c: I'm cosplaying as Allen on Saturday~(yullenftw)

Fushugi Yugi - My friend Robin got me into this one, and it's one of those manga that I'm almost sure I would't like, but I do. I really do.  I hate the main heroine but the plot in charming and I love Nukriko to DEATH (whom I may cosplay as on Sunday).

switch - I'm sure not many know of this one, but seriously, adorable druggie-busting cop + his amazing partner whose name I adore = MAJOR WIN

One Fine Day - Ok, it's not a manga, it's a manhwa, but that does nothing to decrease it's amazingness. Put simply, it's a sledgehammer of cute to the face. Adorable things make me giggle.

Sumomo, Momomo! - 10 year old pink-haired girl trying to convince her teenage fiance to get in bed with her? Slight feeling of creepiness, but it's way too ridiculous and funny to be taken really seriously. Really. And Momoko is adorable, although a little too stereotypical-wife-like for my tastes.

...and pretty much anything that's being serialized in Yen+. I love that magazine to death~.
OH, I FORGOT TO SAVE.
>> nijyuushichi @ deviantART
>> ESPERADO @ Sheezyart
>> ESPERADO27 @ YouTube
>> the27 @ FFnet

BumbleB

Hmmm right now
Kamichama Karin Chu
Mink
Maximum Ride

Yeah I know there all girly and small but I felt like I needed a break from action and boyish stuff. It's Spring so I needed something new. :) :D
Yes I can go to Fanime!

Sunday:Shinigami Rukia- Bleach
*proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

RaddaX2

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure- When I first got into it I was expecting it to be the fabulous HnK.  What it turns out to be though is the fabulous Belmont clan.  And I LOVE IT.  It's a damn shame part 4 has such shitty translations though.   
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

RooBird

Ouran High School Host Club - I first watched the show and then went on to read the manga since it continued the story.  :) I'm loving the direction it's going right now. XD
Otomen - A manga pretty much no one knows about. XD I love it though. I usually don't stick around or even read a manga if it's not finished/ doesn't have many chapters out, but this one is really great.  :) It just takes a really long time for people to translate the chapters. DX
Fanime 2013 Cosplays:
FemmeMedic (Team Fortress 2)

Nanashi

I started reading Narutaru recently.

Crazy stuff.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html