take a number

Started by yojambo, March 04, 2009, 12:32:56 AM

yojambo

I didn't say anything when I was told at another con that fanime artist alley was full.
I waited to hear what was going to happen this year with out any comments, trusting in the Fanime staff.
I was so happy to see the update! And I still am! But, I have one thing that I am finally willing to speak up about.
Planing for one of the largest anime conventions in California is challenging. And I have no suggestions on how anyone could do it better. I just have one question. Was the way Fanime set up there next year sign up fair?
"How dare you raise your voice in protest to the Fanime staff, this is a dictatorship, I mean democracy" says the next ten fan boy/girl to see this post. 
How could I come up with such a horrible suggestion even after they updated the artist alley page on the website? Easy, I actually read it.
"You must have a completed and signed FanimeCon 2009 Artist Alley Contract. However, the contract is still not online yet." I was still ok at this point. Until I saw this...
"If you already downloaded the 2009 contract, fill it in and send it. If not, wait till the 2009 contract comes back up and fill it in then."
Why even tease everyone like that? (or just me I can be pretty dense sometimes) Really this was just an update for those who already have the contact for this year from last year. Great.
So what? right? How about this scenario. How about a person who has never been to Fanime? How about a person who has been planing to attend artist alley since last year, but never knew about the sign up for next year? Look I can come in this year and sign up again for next year. But then what? Be on the waiting list again? Since everyone who has a table already can sign up again before me? (is this true? Cuse that is what I am REALLY mad about)
There is one thing I am missing, and that's the patience to see what actually happens.
I won't tell you how bad I still want this to happen. I hope the fact that I am still waiting and willing to sign up for next year is proof enough. I rant, but in the end it doesn't matter. The same people will be there. The same things will happen, and then again I will still be there too.

darkkako

On February 16th the information for the AA went up, contract included. Later that day it was taken down as the AA staff realised there were a few things on the contract that they would like to change. The "If you have already downloaded the 2009 contract, fill it and send it in." part is directed at those of us who were on the ball and downloaded the contract the second it went up. When they took the contract down, they reverted the page to its former placeholder state, and thus all of the information regarding the AA was gone as well. But even if the contract isn't currently available, there's no reason to prevent people from preparing themselves by taking the information down. So, though they're still updating the contract, they put the rest of the info back up.

So, to answer your main question, No. That notice does NOT mean everyone who already has a table can sign up again before you. How the hell would that even work, anyways? They were given paper copies of the contract at the end of last year, and if they got a table then they must have already turned it in. Thus, y'know, they wouldn't have a contract.

Don't get your panties in a bunch before you have all of the information. >_<; The AA staff is working very hard to fit extra people in, and the last thing they need is someone yelling at them.

yojambo

How much of a life would you have to have to be there the second that happend? Hmmm ....lets see multiply the fact that you don't have a life, and dived that by how jobless you are...(hmm for me that's three since I only work three days a week now)
Hmm if I figure correctly that means your fan boy number one in my figure of ten fan girl/boy to write back, and I work my ass off to make limited amount of money, when I do remember to check back on a convention that has failed to update for over four months on artist alley since they have posted on the forms. They are so lucky that I forget to check back every day. Cuse I am taking care of myself instead of sitting in front of a computer all day wondering when moms going to bring me my lunch.

yojambo

<cleared>

Mod edit: post cleared due to user complaint

ewu

The Fanime staff thanks all of you for your enthusiasm and patience. We have run in to hiccups and unforeseen complications, but have tried to get stuff to you as soon as we can. We have also made the process as "fair" as we can, but if it seems not that way to you, then that is unfortunate. It would be best to understand the situation before letting emotion cloud and ruin this event for you and for others.

What Darkkako has said is true. When the new information becomes availible we will get that to you as soon as we can.

Persistence pays if it is effectuated in the right way.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

darkkako

Quote from: yojambo on March 04, 2009, 07:43:10 AM
How much of a life would you have to have to be there the second that happend? Hmmm ....lets see multiply the fact that you don't have a life, and dived that by how jobless you are...(hmm for me that's three since I only work three days a week now)
Hmm if I figure correctly that means your fan boy number one in my figure of ten fan girl/boy to write back, and I work my ass off to make limited amount of money, when I do remember to check back on a convention that has failed to update for over four months on artist alley since they have posted on the forms. They are so lucky that I forget to check back every day. Cuse I am taking care of myself instead of sitting in front of a computer all day wondering when moms going to bring me my lunch.

Look, this is completely uncalled for. :\ You don't need to attack me for being dedicated. Please don't make assumptions about me and my life simply because I disagree with you.

ewu

Thanks for your help and comments darkkako. They are very appreciated:)

Remember, yojambo is upset, but that does not mean we ALL need to  get upset about it....
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

PyronIkari

Quote from: yojambo on March 04, 2009, 12:32:56 AM
Words here

Yes... it is fair... plain and simple. First come first serve, that's how pretty much everything works. The form isn't up yet online, those that got theirs in person physically had to get theirs, hence, they were there before you were, hence they have priority.

Is this fair? Absolutely? What would you suggest to be more fair? A random lottery?

You're pissed off merely because you weren't able to get yours in person, tough luck to you, but that's how things work. "I wasn't able to line up for tickets to this concert. It's unfair that everyone that was able to line up got tickets and I didn't". That is basically what you're saying right now.

If you want to sign up, and you want to do it online, be patient for staff to get everything worked out. They do a lot of work, and have real lives and cannot do everything in the world to appease every single one of the Fanime attendees how they want. No one gets special treatment really. You're upset, sure, but really, you're going about it all the wrong way.

Complaints are legitimate, your complaint however, really isn't.

I'm not defending fanime really, I'm just pointing out the fallacy in what you have written.

JTchinoy

*takes a number*

what number are we on?

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

sunrise-oasis

Actually I kinda agree with yojambo's Qoutes..
NOrmally I would like to post this as well since everyone looks at me like im the one complaining... nope..
I get alot of threats already in the forum from "SECRET PEOPLE" saying i have to respect the admin and the members and the volunteers and the police!" yes I do respect them as well (as long as they don't tell me like this in FORCE)

the point is that Fanime is a big  (not really) convention. There will be times for people to apply a line for a table reservation. Remeber Everyone wants to take some life to do something amazing and learn how to sell their creations!
but don't forget that Fans can actually change the behaivor of the entire administrators! (seriously Look back 5 years and recall what was there and what was removed!)...

Aside from this!... I sugest this.. even though Artist alley is going to be "FULL" (we don't know that for sure)...[due to response, this response is kept secret] or wii!, you know half of those who registered wont have the chance to re-registered next year because they leave the convention on the third or fourth day much earlier due to "having a bad day, getting ill, work, etc...." Cheer up, there will always be a chance to reserve a table....

so yojambo, What ya said is true and I know your very very upset.....Don't blame anyone, in fact, its no-ones fault!! if you want to blame at someone, blame the pencil.... just cheer up relax and Msn message me!.....

Also... if the tables are full find another alternative for selling nice things... like the swap meet!

also.. i think your number 2..I got a ticket for number 3...
so heres a number

JTchinoy

doesn't look like my number's coming anytime soon.  *pulls up a chair*

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

sunrise-oasis

Quote from: JTchinoy on March 05, 2009, 01:58:38 AM
doesn't look like my number's coming anytime soon.  *pulls up a chair*

you can take Number 5...
hey we have to wait at least for something O_O!

Gwydion

You know, I'm starting to feel really sorry for the Artist Alley staff.

::hugs them::

ewu

so am I  ;D

and more appropriately....STARTING?!?!?
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

ewu

I am sending out the revised contract to be posted today, keep your eye out.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom