Yeah!
19 (38.8%)
They found out eventually
13 (26.5%)
Kinda sorta
15 (30.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Piccahoe

As I walk around my school/dorms which consist mostly of Anime/Computer/Video Games People, I always ponder the question "what is a nerd/geek"? The people I see at my school/dorms are people I consider normal everyday people. They socialize, some of them have girlfriends and a JOB and most of them don't fit the stereotype  or a "nerd" or "geek" you see on T.V.

Going to back to the Question, "Am I'm a closet geek or open geek", I don't really know what geek means. Does it mean someone who is obsessed with something? or somebody who knowledgeable in a certain area? or some one who's clumsy and dimwitted? or all that? I dunno, really.
"Its not that I'm smart, its because I (am able to) stick to the problems."

-Albert Einstein

JTchinoy

im a certified dork, not geek o.0

my dad's a wannabe geek, he says he's gonna geek up once he retires.  my poor mom ;.;

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Umeboshi

wow aparently its such a crime to say geek or nerd. If everyone feels so strongly or offended to my question.. There is one thing you gotta do to solve it. DO NOT POST ON THIS TOPIC IF IT HURTS YOU SO BAD OR QUESTIONS YOUR PRIDE.

Cosplay for 2009 is:
Blaire - Soul Eater
Shampoo - Ranma 1/2
Lunamaria - Gundam Seed Destiny
and.. er ya

Umeboshi

kudos for your dad. How funny xD my dads not too much of a nerd wish he was. Lol and hey maybe your mom will get into it too.

Cosplay for 2009 is:
Blaire - Soul Eater
Shampoo - Ranma 1/2
and.. er ya

Glitch

Geek,otaku,spaz. Call me what you want. Just don't call me late for dinner. XD
But seriously, I'm not ashamed of what I like. I take on anybody who gives me sh!% for it.
I got my two microphones here. *puts fist up* And guess what. they don't like feedback. [/joe dirt]

Trumby

Quote from: Umeboshi on March 25, 2009, 10:54:27 AM
wow aparently its such a crime to say geek or nerd. If everyone feels so strongly or offended to my question.. There is one thing you gotta do to solve it. DO NOT POST ON THIS TOPIC IF IT HURTS YOU SO BAD OR QUESTIONS YOURE PRIDE.
I think the people earlier were referring only to otaku, not being a geek, because of the very negative connotations that go along with it in Japan.
Fanime cosplays (if I can make it..!)
Snowtrooper (Star Wars)
Greed (FMA)
Random pirate
Kurosaki Isshin (working on it now)

JTchinoy

Quote from: Umeboshi on March 25, 2009, 10:56:43 AM
kudos for your dad. How funny xD my dads not too much of a nerd wish he was. Lol and hey maybe your mom will get into it too.
she likes her reality shows too much to do it o.0
his definition of geek is different from what you may think though.  his geek is building his own computer (ok that's sort of geeky I GUESS), and restoring a pre-1975 car.  i think he wants a mustang fastback (hot).  the latter isn't very geeky at all.  in fact, i'm trying to convince him to do the datsun 510 with a skyline engine instead, or some other manly source of muscle like an american V8 =O

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Umeboshi

Quote from: Trumby on March 25, 2009, 11:53:13 AM
wow aparently its such a crime to say geek or nerd. If everyone feels so strongly or offended to my question.. There is one thing you gotta do to solve it. DO NOT POST ON THIS TOPIC IF IT HURTS YOU SO BAD OR QUESTIONS YOURE PRIDE.
I think the people earlier were referring only to otaku, not being a geek, because of the very negative connotations that go along with it in Japan.

O: oh god xD i put you're instead of your what a noob i am D; /fix

Cosplay for 2009 is:
Blaire - Soul Eater
Shampoo - Ranma 1/2
and.. er ya

Piccahoe

wow aparently its such a crime to say geek or nerd. If everyone feels so strongly or offended to my question.. There is one thing you gotta do to solve it. DO NOT POST ON THIS TOPIC IF IT HURTS YOU SO BAD OR QUESTIONS YOUR PRIDE.

I'm not offended, I just ponder about the word "geek" and "nerd" a lot. Besides "nerds" and "geeks" own the world! Just look at Bill Gates >_<.
"Its not that I'm smart, its because I (am able to) stick to the problems."

-Albert Einstein

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: Umeboshi on March 25, 2009, 12:48:14 PM
Quote from: Trumby on March 25, 2009, 11:53:13 AM

O: oh god xD i put you're instead of your what a noob i am D; /fix

lols it wasn't about pride. The facts pointed out, however harsh...are true. Hence why I asked for clarification. Anways, carry on. X3
Let the geekiness and Nerdery chaos insue! X3

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

koji

I'm definitely a geek, but I definitely don't let it spill out into my everyday life. People are aware of my hobbies. Thinking kinda like Akiba from Kannagi, but even more so toned down.

Umeboshi

Cosplay for 2009 is:
Blaire - Soul Eater
Shampoo - Ranma 1/2
and.. er ya

Sunara Ishi

People that are truly and currently a closet geek probably wouldn't admit it in this thread or anywhere.

I suppose I can be a little geeky with my interests; especially around friends similar to myself. I may not seem like a "geek." The key is to make other people comfortable around you; so if I am around people that don't like anime, games, etc- I talk about things we have in common.
There is no way I'd hide that I love video games, anime, etc but I don't feel the need to flaunt my likes.

But everyone can be geeky with what they love no matter what it is.

るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Jerry

I always thought of the following hierarchy : [ in my opinion ] so dont burn me but if u must at least keep it funny ;)

Nerd >>>> geek >>>> fanboy >>>> dork >>>> dweeb >>>> loser .
Confidence, awesome & cool > > > > > > > >   Awkward, weird, & Creepy

Nerds -
to me are sort of the all around [jack of all trades, but master of none] sorta guy/girl- and as of recently are generally more accepted socially and know what how to adjust to most social situations. but on further reflection, it is said that nerds are definitely more intellectual in the sense of being able to carry good conversations on a 'worldly' view from ALL topics: like current events, politics, philosophy, history, cultural and language abilities.

Geek -
the technical side hence "Geek Squad" where as they have the innate ability to put together computers from scratch, building random robots, or they type of kid who loved the AV club back in the day. Nowadays, we're more concerned on how awesome our PC or MAC stats are or talking about their video game library and their awesome home entertainment system all with Blu-Ray, HD TV, 7.2 surround sound, all next gen systems, their iphone, crackberry etc etc. - basically high end expensive techno-nerds. Though, because of their massive indulgence in one particular narrow [or sometimes expanded] knowledge of tech, sometimes their social skills might be a lil below par. 

Fanboys/girl -
notice as we go lower on the ladder, to social awkward and weirdness begin. Usually keeping to themselves as a separate group, and stick out like a sore thumb. They swoon over girls, have very particular eating habits, probably have spent too much time researching their favorite pop culture topics to remember to take a shower that day. Probably wouldn't know what to do with themselves given a golden opportunity unless its to scream and glomp everyone around them. :P Takes pictures like no other, and most probably not very tasteful either. At times probably needs a bib or a drool bucket. That or a good scare from a bully or authority figure... though knowing these types an extra pair of undies would probably be necessary.

Eh, I',m  too lazy to wanna be explain the others and i know im getting flamed either way.

meh, its friday, im just here because im killing time at work and I really want to play Resident evil 5.

apparently to some quiz i took. I am 70% geek and 65% nerd [yes i know that doesnt add up] but thats what the quiz told me. :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

BrightHeart76

The lady who has been organizing the yearbook brought me a picture she took today.  Two of my students smiling like maniacs holding up the copy of the Ranma 1/2 manga they were reading.  She didn't understand why that picture meant so much to me.  These kids are my geek protoge's.  They're both smart, capable young ladies in their own right, however over the last couple of years they have shared with me their secret "geekiness"...now they feel comfortable sharing it for the yearbook. 

It may be slightly off topic, but I'm proud of them.   ;D  Not only am I open with my geekiness, I help others to be open with theirs too.  lol.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Stormfalcon

The problem is, the definitions of nerds, geeks, and dorks will vary depending on who you ask.  For example, we see above the definitions as Jerry sees them.  However, going by this article, it's the geeks that are more socially oriented and skilled, the dorks less so (in fact cosplayers would be put in with the dorks going by the article), and the nerds having very little social interest and skills.  There really isn't any set definitions for any of the terms, and that's what makes it difficult to discuss.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Nanashi

I'm a total geek. Anime, Video Games, Table Top RPG's/Wargames/Card games...if it's a form of geekery, I probably indulge in some way.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

JohnnyAR

I don't really care if you say I'm a geek or nerd. Just don't assume because I'm one doesn't mean I'm a weakling and you can push me around, thinking I won't do anything about it.

JTchinoy

Quote from: JohnnyAR on March 30, 2009, 03:50:23 PM
I don't really care if you say I'm a geek or nerd. Just don't assume because I'm one doesn't mean I'm a weakling and you can push me around, thinking I won't do anything about it.
I don't think the stereotype of geekiness includes being a wimp in it anymore.  I think geeks are faster to talking crap than other types of people these days.  Just my observation of the entire "noob" culture that being a geek tends to involve.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

oOSayu-SayuOo

Open, honestly I like it. I'm one of the coolest geeks(along with the other people at Fanime) you'll ever know.
;D And besides at school I draw/doodle (anime-like) characters all day long. They see, they label, I smile.
Red+b/w Maid + Random reverse strap + Sailor Outfit!Italy