If I don't go to Fanime '09 what will I be missing out on?

Started by RaddaX2, April 28, 2009, 12:41:56 AM

RaddaX2

From what I can tell most of the guest are RE5 people.  Nothing on the events or band list really caught my attention.  Are there any particular series merchandise that will be debuting in the dealers room this year?  Or what events should I be looking forward to?
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

dfens

It's up to you, if you're missing out.

Me personally after being being spoiled by going to Anime Expo which has everything a few times for free.

Fanime is like 10 minutes away from my place and unless I find some people to go with I'll probably skip it this year. For most people spending hundreds for hotels, food, and entry fees for such a small convention, to me in some extent is just plain crazy. And on top of that all the money on the stuff they buy that you can order online.

All the things you can do or see, or find out can be done at home for free. I do collect figures and other stuff and every time I been to fanime it's the same crap I can get easily online for cheaper. Every time I'm looking for that one rare item they never have it. Why should I buy a 30-55 pass to buy a figure for 10-20 cheaper than online if I'm lucky or at full retail only to lose the savings or pay more in entry fees.

I could write a huge blog on how your not missing out on anything. Which in some part it very true.

Heard Toy Let and Toy's Logic is suppose to be their this year if they bring most of their stuff they advertise online I might be tempted to buy some stuff if I see it in person. Forget Anime Palace which is local he has let me down too many times.

So depending on what it's going to cost you to attend and if you enjoy the experience of going as long as your not spending a arm and a leg I say go for it.

Steve.Young

I wouldn't say this is a SMALL convention. Small conventions are maybe 1k or something people. According to your post, conventions are all about the dealers room right?

Regardless, it's up to you on what you usually go to Fanime for. If you are like dfens and go solely for the dealers room, then I wouldn't be missing out on much. But if your going for the atmosphere, B&W ball, Musicfest, Masquerade, etc. then I would say your missing out on a lot more.

It's really a personal thing. No one can tell you otherwise.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

dfens

For me it's not all about the dealers but still fanime is no where near the level of anime expo.

At anime expo the actual anime distributors have booths and will announce all kinds of news, what new licenses they have, even give away free trinkets. My sister at the time saw a promo image of her favorite show and turns out that the company just got the license and he told her all about it and when they expected to release it. She would have bought it on the spot if was available. That's the kind of stuff fanime doesn't have.

The guest of honor are really popular, make rare appearance, and are in demand. Like I went one year and got to see Megumi HAYASHIBARA, and tons of artists, directors, voice actors and not these crummy as the poster said enlgish dubbed actors for RE5. I don't really know why fanime has these lack luster guests if you can't book anyone good then just scrap it.

Last year my favorite manga artist was making a appearance in chicago, he hasn't been over here state side in about nearlly 15 years. If it was closer by I would have clawed/killed to shake his hand, talk to him, and beg on my hands and knees for a autograph piece of artwork. Like fanime would have got him to come.

It's a much bigger venue with more to do and a lot more people attending. I think now they average 40-50K people vs the about what 10K of fanime.

Another year I went they had Initial D the arcade game before it was released that you could play for free but the lines were long. Or they showed anime on a actual movie screen/theater before it was released on DVD for fans to watch before everyone else. Of course their was a fansubs already out and it was dubbed but at least you got to see the licensed final product.

Or the charity auction. I saw some of the original art work that various professional japanese artists that everyone knows their name had for sale. Was drooling unfortunately it was out of my budget to bid.

Don't even get me started on all the stupid panels that any one can create that have nothing to do with anime, seems more like a feeler to keep people occupied.

Like one year I skipped fanime all together and went to the separate concert they were hosting cost me 40 bucks for the ticket and only went for one vocalist. Sucks how the ticket didn't allow me access to the convention wasn't going to spend another 30 plus dollars.

Not to bash fanime into the ground I think it's great that such a anime convention is so close by every year, but it's a more of a by fans for fans while Anime Expo and it's counterparts on the east coast are more professional/industry driven.

Maybe since I'm not a teenager anymore and the fact I've grown up a bit, it seems like most cons now a days are for cosplayers or anime fans that for one day or a weekend can hang out with others like them no matter social status and not be ridiculed or feel like a dork/loser. So unless you are going for the experience and actually have fun why waste your time and money if your only going to walk around all shy and quiet like you're not even their and I've seem many people like that.

That's the only thing these conventions have going for them is the people that you can socialize with, other than that you can read, watch, download, or purchase everything online from the comfort of your own home and not break the bank doing it.

Tony

Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

ewu

Tony: any mod whose name rhymes with "Cleric Who" should not close that thread
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

BrightHeart76

I think part of the draw of Fanime is that it isn't as big as Anime Expo.  Anime Expo can't help but be claustrophobic with that many people in one place.  Fanime maintains a more open feeling. 

The events are fun and interactive.  I feel like the fans are really involved.

When all is said and done it's a to each their own kind of situation.  Some people prefer Super Sized conventions like AX, some prefer large fan based conventions like Fanime, some prefer smaller conventions and some even prefer to avoid conventions all together.  Do what's right for you, but don't belittle people who like something different. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

jemz

Quote from: dfens on April 28, 2009, 01:35:23 PM
Not to bash fanime into the ground I think it's great that such a anime convention is so close by every year, but it's a more of a by fans for fans while Anime Expo and it's counterparts on the east coast are more professional/industry driven.

Fanime IS "By Fans, For Fans". It's one of the things that makes our particular convention unique. We're not all about the super big name guests that you can't really sit down to talk to or that you need to stand in line for hours and hours to catch a glimpse. We are definitely not all about the commercialization that is growing in the anime industry.

We are all about having a good time. If you don't think the guests we invite are worth the time, it's a personal opinion. But many of the guests we do invite genuinely want to meet their fans, shake hands and talk to attendees, wander around and enjoy themselves, and maybe take a picture or two or five with random cosplayers.

If you are all about going to the biggest convention with thousands and thousands of people all having a good time and seeing what's the latest thing anime companies are offering, then perhaps Fanime's vibe isn't right for you. But if you want a more intimate feel, more of a grassroots sort of thing, than maybe you want to come to Fanime for a day or two.

At any anime convention, you either go into the experience to have a great time or you don't. It's all up to you.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

PyronIkari

I wonder if Tony is asking to leave it open so I can reply...

Either way, I will.

Hayashibara Megumi HAS NEVER BEEN TO ANIME EXPO first off. She made two appearances in the states at Anime America in the early to mid 90's. I forget which years. 93/94? or 93/95... something like that. Guess what, both of those were in Nor Cal too.

AX Doesn't really get any amazing guests, I've been attending AX for a little over 10 years now. The guests at most conventions are really comparable. You're no longer a teenager... then why does it sound like all you're doing is trolling? I mean, half of the stuff you said either isn't consistent, makes no sense, or isn't true at all. Chicago... so I'm assuming ACen.

Maybe I'm just jaded, because I've met numerous artists outside of conventions(Murata Range, Akamatsu Ken, Hidenora Matsubara to name a few)... but frankly, the "AX" experience with guests are horrible. Two years agos SOS Dan meet was the worst. Autographs signing was limited to 100 people. People waited over 15 hours overnight to get denied an autograph. 15 hours waiting was over 200 in 2. I personally know someone that waited 18 hours from nearly 8pm the night before to be denied because they were number 106.

At Fanime so far... I've had 2 guests hug me(they asked ME strangely enough) I got to chat with the Gainax staff while having a smoke(they sat next to me and they commented on me having JP cigarettes) and it's the only con where I did not have to wait in line for over 4 hours to do something I wanted to do.

AX Never had Initial D before it's release. They had the JP version before it came out in the US, but so did like 92837593284793285 other arcades in So Cal. I might be wrong about this, but I do not recall a year where the arcade at Anime Expo was on free play. Let's see... Initial D Arcade Stage was 2001. Southern Hills Golfland got that in Spring. Anime Expo 2001 was the first year it was in Long Beach. Acquaintances of mine staffed the arcade that year, and I am 100% certain it wasn't on freeplay. I know this for a fact, because I won 2nd in a tournament, and I had a 60+ win streak in Guilty Gear. I wanted to change characters so I lost on purpose only to realize I didn't have change on me so I had to leave.

AX has premiered stuff, but not on movie screens or theater screens. Only the provided projector units that the convention center provided.

So once more, half the stuff you are saying isn't true, and is really inconsistent.

I'm not saying that Fanime is better than AX, nor AX is better than Fanime in any way whatsoever... but they are two extremely different things. I've gone to many different cons in many different places. All of them are different in their own right.

I'm from So Cal, yet I consider Fanime my home convention. AX never felt comforting or just... fun. I enjoy AX for what it is, but it's not fun over all.

I don't mind talking badly about any convention, I really don't. All conventions has its flaws, and I can write essays about the good and bad of any convention. However, half the crap you wrote wasn't even "bad" but merely opinions of yours that have no real merit. It'd be like talking crap about lollapalooza because the music sucks... then saying how you totally thought Wango Tango is the best concert ever. It's one thing to say you PREFER something, but to talk crap based on preference is stupid. This is all you did. You're not even helping the OP out, all you've done is talk crap baselessly. This has been a trend on these forums lately.

Edit just for funs ^^

So, Acen last year, your favorite manga artist is Sonoda. You think Sonoda is a big guest? Most people in the US would have no clue who he was. Most fans today would have never seen a single one of his works at all. He might be a big guest to you, but the big picture is, he's basically just an old artist from decades ago that very few people today care about.

I'm hardly a teen anymore too. Does that make me cool and elite like you~?

EDIT AGAIN... Wow, I totally switched names around in my head

Steve.Young

Wow Pyron, your knowledge of this crap is amazing.

just saying haha.

-Steve
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

RaddaX2

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 28, 2009, 08:15:45 PM
Thoroughly chewing out Dfens

Wow this morning I was actually thinking "man I wish I was Pyron so I could effectively sh*t on dfens.", lmao.  :D

It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

TC X0 Lt 0X

That is why I tolerate Pyron.
Excellent Pyron, excellent.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Liquid

Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

dfens

Ok I so I can't remember every little detail I'll admit that. And Megumi I think I got her confused with someone else.

As for sonoda he isn't my favorite artist but I love his work, yeah he is old and forgotten to most people, still better than these nobodies that I see listed every year at fanime. Come on this and that voice from RE5.

Now that Anime Expo incident of waiting 18 hours I read about that, I wasn't their I don't go every year. Not saying stuff doesn't happen, but hey what can you do things can go wrong. Didn't say well at fanime the line this or that went terribly wrong you just to make do with whatever happens.

The initial d game back in the day didn't know they had the japanese version early down south I lived in LA for a short time thank god I left that shit hole long beach. Still wasn't here up north at the time.

I never said oh hey fanime blows just skip it this year and forever, calling me a troll because I didn't sing high praises for every little thing it has to offer. You don't like my opinions then ignore them. They aren't orders. You won't be shot if you don't agree.

Cool and elite I don't remember referring or implying that about myself.

In closing this will probably be the last reply from me in this thread. And "Pwned" what are you like 12? Yeah like I'm going to go cry in the corner now and then eat a bullet because some guy on a forum who knows more than me on a few things pointed out that I got some stuff wrong.

narutofan17

Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: dfens on April 29, 2009, 12:34:37 AM
Ok I so I can't remember every little detail I'll admit that. And Megumi I think I got her confused with someone else.
It's best to go research your info before going on a rant.

Quote from: dfens on April 29, 2009, 12:34:37 AMAs for sonoda he isn't my favorite artist but I love his work, yeah he is old and forgotten to most people, still better than these nobodies that I see listed every year at fanime. Come on this and that voice from RE5.
Again, as Pyron said that is just your opinion that means nothing. I'm sure there are a few people out there that would rather see the RE5 people over a forgotten artist.

Quote from: dfens on April 29, 2009, 12:34:37 AMNow that Anime Expo incident of waiting 18 hours I read about that, I wasn't their I don't go every year. Not saying stuff doesn't happen, but hey what can you do things can go wrong. Didn't say well at fanime the line this or that went terribly wrong you just to make do with whatever happens.
Kk nothing to say about this.

Quote from: dfens on April 29, 2009, 12:34:37 AMThe initial d game back in the day didn't know they had the japanese version early down south I lived in LA for a short time thank god I left that shit hole long beach. Still wasn't here up north at the time.
Again, research.

Quote from: dfens on April 29, 2009, 12:34:37 AMI never said oh hey fanime blows just skip it this year and forever, calling me a troll because I didn't sing high praises for every little thing it has to offer. You don't like my opinions then ignore them. They aren't orders. You won't be shot if you don't agree.
I would hope so.

Quote from: dfens on April 29, 2009, 12:34:37 AMCool and elite I don't remember referring or implying that about myself.
Well that vibe certainly comes off you.
Just like it does with Pyron, but I digress.

Quote from: dfens on April 29, 2009, 12:34:37 AMIn closing this will probably be the last reply from me in this thread. And "Pwned" what are you like 12? Yeah like I'm going to go cry in the corner now and then eat a bullet because some guy on a forum who knows more than me on a few things pointed out that I got some stuff wrong.
Are you new to the Internet? 'Pwned' is used by all age groups on the internet as well as real life, assuming these persons are apart of one of the sub cultures that uses it. And I'd expect it to be used for a long time.

BTW, not trying to be the Grammer Police, but it was very difficult to read your post.

So then let's get back on topic.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

narutofan17

Is the person that posted this goin to Fanime or not. I'm sure you have enough info to decide to go or not. >.>;;;
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

PyronIkari

Quote from: dfens on April 29, 2009, 12:34:37 AM
So you confused, probably the most famous VA with someone else... Good job.

QuoteAs for sonoda he isn't my favorite artist but I love his work, yeah he is old and forgotten to most people, still better than these nobodies that I see listed every year at fanime. Come on this and that voice from RE5.
QuoteLast year my favorite manga artist was making a appearance in chicago, he hasn't been over here state side in about nearlly 15 years. If it was closer by I would have clawed/killed to shake his hand, talk to him, and beg on my hands and knees for a autograph piece of artwork. Like fanime would have got him to come.
So is he... or isn't he your favorite? Which is it? Nobodies? Okay, let's see. The cast of one of the most anticipated games of the year... vs. an old mangaka that hasn't done anything in decades that virtually nobody today knows. See, this is called, you being an elitist. Just because *YOU* think someone is important doesn't mean the rest of the world does. It'd be like a convention getting Jun Tsukasa. I WOULD LOVE IT, but 99% of people would have no clue who he is seeing that he has done nothing "major". If a convention had the choice between Jun Tsukasa and say... Piro from Megatokyo(LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL) and they picked Tsukasa, they'd be stupid. Piro, despite being a talentless hack that can't write, draw, or anything for that matter... would draw way more people than Tsukasa.

QuoteNow that Anime Expo incident of waiting 18 hours I read about that, I wasn't their I don't go every year. Not saying stuff doesn't happen, but hey what can you do things can go wrong. Didn't say well at fanime the line this or that went terribly wrong you just to make do with whatever happens.
Can? AX is infamous for having stuff like this every year. You act like it was a one time deal. They also treat their guests horribly. It's why a lot of guests don't want to come back to fanime.

QuoteThe initial d game back in the day didn't know they had the japanese version early down south I lived in LA for a short time thank god I left that shit hole long beach. Still wasn't here up north at the time.
Wrong again. SVGL got Initial D in May of that year IIRC, right before fanime. How do I know this? Because we went to SVGL afterwards.

QuoteI never said oh hey fanime blows just skip it this year and forever, calling me a troll because I didn't sing high praises for every little thing it has to offer. You don't like my opinions then ignore them. They aren't orders. You won't be shot if you don't agree.
No, I'm calling you a troll because EVERYTHING YOU SAID WAS BASELESS AND/OR FALSE. I don't give a crap if you think Fanime is a horrible convention, you can talk about all the bad stuff all you want. The thing is GIVE LEGITIMATE POINTS. Such as, how some of the rovers think they're gods(but this is apparent at every con). Or how schedules got out late last year, or how my panel was a total fluke due to lack of internet access... etc. etc. etc. See, those are legitimate points.

QuoteCool and elite I don't remember referring or implying that about myself.
Oh you did, plenty of times. Should I copypa them to prove it?

QuoteIn closing this will probably be the last reply from me in this thread. And "Pwned" what are you like 12? Yeah like I'm going to go cry in the corner now and then eat a bullet because some guy on a forum who knows more than me on a few things pointed out that I got some stuff wrong.

Good good, attempt to take the highroad by back peddaling and then leaving the thread. ^^

TC X0 Lt 0X

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.