Magic Tourney.

Started by Lordsnow, May 17, 2009, 12:28:17 AM

Lordsnow

I saw that there was a magic tourney now. Looking at it, I don't think I saw anything particular about rules. So, I made this here topic in a hope that maybe someone can shed some light on it. Also, is anyone else planning to join the tourney?
Old soldiers never die, and they don't fade away

doriangray

Because of when it was scheduled, I'm going to have to stick to pick up games that I can find. :'(  Does anyone know who is the TO for this?
All love is elf love!

Princesses who choose the dragon over the white knight don't get to ride the dragon into the sunset; they get eaten, and from what the dragons tell me, they're crunchy.

lying is an art form

I'm interested in playing in a tournament. Standard?
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

noctural_king

vintage  i hope or at lease 1.5 so everyone can play

Lordsnow

Well, I'll just take all of my decks. I'm sure one will be fine..... I don't know if I should use my silvers.. its kinda mean most of the time in 1v1. Either way I'll see you all there I hope.

HinFire

Lets do a sealed tourney or draft so everyone can play regardless of deck!

lying is an art form

Quote from: HinFire on May 19, 2009, 05:26:12 PM
Lets do a sealed tourney or draft so everyone can play regardless of deck!

That requires having sealed product and agreeing on a price for said product and also prize distribution. Why would anyone want to play limited when it's Standard PTQ season?
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

noctural_king

not sure if i should bring trade bait, i quit after shards came out. my vote goes for 1.5

Mizuki

Lordsnow

>.> I don't even know what 1.5 means.. I just play.

M

Quote from: Lordsnow on May 20, 2009, 11:41:51 AM
"1.5" is one of the rated formats that M:TG has.

In short, there are three Constructed Formats (Standard, Extended, Block Constructed), two Vintage Constructed Formats (Type 1 and Type 1.5), and three Limited Formats (Sealed Deck, Booster Drafts, and Rochester Draft).

A very general description of the differences in each are highlighted below:
Standard - A few blocks
Extended - Standard + more blocks!
Block Constructed - Only cards from one block are allowed.
Type 1 - Pretty much every non-ante, non-"flip" (i.e. Chaos Orb) card is allowed (there are cards that are restricted to one per deck).
Type 1.5 - Same as Type 1 but all restricted cards are also banned.
Sealed Deck, Booster Drafts, Rochester Drafts - I don't know much about these so just read through the rules about them. :P

M:TG Rules: http://www.wizards.com/DCI/main.asp?x=UTR_MTG
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

doriangray

Quote from: Mizuki on May 20, 2009, 11:25:52 AM
Is Oath still 1.5?

Oath of what?  Druids?  Scholars? Lieges?  Lim-dul?  Oath of Druids is banned in legacy.  The others are legal.
All love is elf love!

Princesses who choose the dragon over the white knight don't get to ride the dragon into the sunset; they get eaten, and from what the dragons tell me, they're crunchy.

lying is an art form

Quote from: noctural_king on May 20, 2009, 01:11:29 AM
not sure if i should bring trade bait, i quit after shards came out. my vote goes for 1.5

Bring your trade bait. I'm looking to buy/trade for a lot of cards!

Quote from: Mizuki on May 20, 2009, 11:25:52 AM
Is Oath still 1.5?

Oath of Druids is banned in Legacy.

Quote from: Lordsnow on May 20, 2009, 11:41:51 AM

Type 1.5 = "Legacy" format. Entire card pool of the game minus cards that deal with ante, manual dexterity (flipping cards) and silver-bordered cards. Has a banlist.
Type 1 = "Vintage" format. Same as Legacy, but the banned cards are instead restricted to one in Vintage.

Legacy sounds favorable right now. We just need to get prize support down.