Post Fanime 2010 Weapons? Props? Peacebonding? Policy? Ask those ? here...

Started by Nekomatt, December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM

Dany

Quote from: Jerry on March 05, 2010, 10:02:46 AM

again final weapons / cosplayer policies will be posted hopefully ASAP .

Thanks for your patience!

Thank you for the help! It's been appreciated :D

My understanding then is that if we've sent an email about our props that a response should be expected after everything is finalized?

My email was sent last night, so I wasn't expecting immediate response XD
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Jerry

My Rover's heads have been busy planning out meetings and going over our recuitment-

but again we're semi tied up with our Legal department to make sure the wording on our code of conduct policy and prop/weapons/items / cosplayer policies are also Politically correct.

I'm hoping once the dust settles they will respond, or I'll do what I could here to keep you ladies and gents in the loop. :)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

amaya_JDB

I'm planing to bring a bow and arrow set to go with my cosplay. Are there any restrictions?
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

Jerry

Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 10, 2010, 12:29:03 AM
I'm planing to bring a bow and arrow set to go with my cosplay. Are there any restrictions?

Another good question --- i'm guessing if its a non-working Bow and Arrow --- meaning the bow does NOT actually pull back and the arrow is not to be used as a projectile in ANY shape or form

now posing with the arrow as of going to be shot of course is ok - but if the arrow is actually shoot-able... then we're gonna have some issues.

I'll ask at the meeting this Saturday.  :)

amaya_JDB

Quote from: Jerry on March 10, 2010, 09:01:07 AM

Another good question --- i'm guessing if its a non-working Bow and Arrow --- meaning the bow does NOT actually pull back and the arrow is not to be used as a projectile in ANY shape or form

now posing with the arrow as of going to be shot of course is ok - but if the arrow is actually shoot-able... then we're gonna have some issues.

thank you.

The bow will be full functional (trying to make it somewhat realistic as possible) but the arrows are just going to be sticks with feathers and maybe a foam or soft rubber head (don't know yet) that I'm making myself. Highly doubt it'll hurt someone.

Once you know something could you please tell me asap? I'm working on the arrows already.
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

Rodney_Pheonix

I've got a "rifle" I've beeen constructing for my Fallout Wastelander costume, it's made entire out of PVC and some parts from an Airsoft shotgun (Namely the adjustable butt and the weaver rail for sight attachments) and an Airsoft "Silencer". It'ss mostly black and has a weathered look, I decided not to really polish it and made it look like it's held together with Baling wire and duct tape. (which it partly is so, with healthy amounts of gorrilla glue.)

With the silencer attachment it does have an orange tip, however I'm unsure on if it would be ok for the con.

[reserved area for a picture, once I find and charge my camera]

[Found the camera... weird, I thought I'd lost it in another part of the house...]

With the stock adjusted to the full length and the "laser dot sight" from the aforementioned shotgun.

Stock Adjusted down as short as it can be. Sans sight.

The only moving parts are the adjustable stock, and the breach. (originally the breach assembly was part of a marshmallow blow gun I'd made.)
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

michiko nakano

Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 10, 2010, 12:58:07 PM

thank you.

The bow will be full functional (trying to make it somewhat realistic as possible) but the arrows are just going to be sticks with feathers and maybe a foam or soft rubber head (don't know yet) that I'm making myself. Highly doubt it'll hurt someone.

Once you know something could you please tell me asap? I'm working on the arrows already.
yeah i'm gonna need at least one bow as well... and it's kindof impossible to make it not shootable unless you have a string that hangs with like two feet of slack.  which is ridiculous.  so perhaps there could be some more lenient rules than "not shootable" perhaps like saying that the string has to be made of elastic cord or something so that it can be realistic looking but not easily shot with.

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: michiko nakano on March 10, 2010, 06:59:56 PM

thank you.

yeah i'm gonna need at least one bow as well... and it's kindof impossible to make it not shootable unless you have a string that hangs with like two feet of slack.  which is ridiculous.  so perhaps there could be some more lenient rules than "not shootable" perhaps like saying that the string has to be made of elastic cord or something so that it can be realistic looking but not easily shot with.

Last year I had a bow to go with my costume, and I carved it out of styrofoam (covered in papier mache, etc). I used a fairly slack elastic string, so the entire thing was absolutely nonfunctional. When I went to get it peacebonded, I was required to remove the string.
Not sure if that was actually part of the policy, or if it will be this year, just wanted to share what my experience was.
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

michiko nakano

Quote from: KindaRandomKris on March 11, 2010, 11:33:38 PM

thank you.

Last year I had a bow to go with my costume, and I carved it out of styrofoam (covered in papier mache, etc). I used a fairly slack elastic string, so the entire thing was absolutely nonfunctional. When I went to get it peacebonded, I was required to remove the string.
Not sure if that was actually part of the policy, or if it will be this year, just wanted to share what my experience was.
you got the string removed?  ._.      ...*feels discouraged*

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: michiko nakano on March 12, 2010, 12:59:10 PM

[text]

[text]
[text]

[text]

That sounds a bit weird, because from the way he described the construction of it, it seems it'd be really hard to even clothesline someone with it.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

Dany

My two cents, play with them as you will. :)

Based on what the Rovers did with the bow, I would suggest two options for your bow string:

Option 1: Make the elastic or string removable. That way you can take it off when you're inside, therefore completely disabling the bow, and then put it on when you're outside again. (this is assuming that string/elastic of any form is still allowed outside the convention center).

Option 1: Instead of elastic, use a thin stick, something around the diameter of a toothpick (I'm thinking craft stores might have this, though length is uncertain). It could be painted to look not as sticklike and more like a string or wire. The only difference would be that you would not be able to do any shots with a fully drawn bow, just stuck in "prepared" mode, which is usually with the arrow in place, but without being drawn back for firing (my archery knowledge is limited, I'm afraid I don't know the formal name for such a placement).

2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: Dany on March 12, 2010, 01:32:32 PM
(my archery knowledge is limited, I'm afraid I don't know the formal name for such a placement).

Lol, same here, and I Bowhunt every now and then.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

amaya_JDB

thank you.

Wait....if the string is removed, wouldn't that kind ruin the cosplay and be harder to pose with?

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

Nina Star 9

What about a non-elastic string that is long enough to give the look of a pulled-back bow but wouldn't actually shoot an arrow? It can then be made to somehow pull through a hole on one end of the bow and somehow fastened to tighten it (but it would still be useless as a bow, keep in mind) for pictures where the bow isn't supposed to be drawn back. I'm not sure if that's acceptable, but it's at least an idea of a way to get both the drawn and the non-drawn look with a non-functional bow.

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 12, 2010, 10:43:25 PM

Wait....if the string is removed, wouldn't that kind ruin the cosplay and be harder to pose with?

The cosplay was in no way ruined, since the string was just a small detail. I just had a little bit of trouble with some poses - my left hand isn't all that strong, and the bow was sort of heavy, so I kept having to check and make sure I was holding the bow correctly.
To be honest, I don't even realize, in pictures, the bow has no string unless I remember it doesn't.
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

michiko nakano

i just wanna know what the rules are for having a bow with a string on it.  because the way i wear my bows (around one shoulder and across the body, like a satchel) i need a string on it. 

roth14

Does anyone have tips about walking around with huge props? I have the Harkonnen from Hellsing but it is quite hard to walk around with. Should I just have it with me outside at the fountains instead of bringing it inside? I just don't know if it would ruin my time at Fanime if I have to have a big prop with me all day. So does anyone have experience with this?

michiko nakano

i saw a pyramid head dragging his huge blade around last year, and it's not like people were stepping on it or anything, so you won't have to worry about its safety for the most part. 

but if you think about it, most characters that have giant weapons don't carry them around *all* the time, so people won't really care if you only have it with you when you're outside. 

as far as i can tell, it would only be a problem if it didn't pass the weapons policy, or if you got tired of carrying it.  otherwise, bring it inside the con center, i'm sure there will be people in there that will be totally stoked to see the complete cosplay with weapon and all.

roth14

Quote from: michiko nakano on March 14, 2010, 10:31:37 AM
i saw a pyramid head dragging his huge blade around last year, and it's not like people were stepping on it or anything, so you won't have to worry about its safety for the most part. 

but if you think about it, most characters that have giant weapons don't carry them around *all* the time, so people won't really care if you only have it with you when you're outside. 

as far as i can tell, it would only be a problem if it didn't pass the weapons policy, or if you got tired of carrying it.  otherwise, bring it inside the con center, i'm sure there will be people in there that will be totally stoked to see the complete cosplay with weapon and all.

Ahh thank you. :)

Jerry

hi everyone -

unfortunately the final Weapons/ prop / cosplayer item policy is STILL being reviewed by the Fanime's legal department.

We hope to have the weapons policy - up by the the next general meeting [march 28th]

so i apologize for the inconvenience

so if you need more immediate answer please email - [email protected]

Thanks!