Info For Artist Alley Reg

Started by imoto, February 10, 2010, 08:45:48 AM

hikari_midorichan

Oh, thank you! Sorry, I should have checked that first. ^^; So would that mean our registration may still be accepted if we only have a few pieces in the gallery?

Althena

I have the same issue as hikari... my DA, while updated on a semi-regular basis, does not show everything that I plan to sell at AA, and shows things that I do not plan to sell at AA.

So... is showing a link to our portfolio more proof that we are an artist, and that the general content of what we sell will not violate the AA contract, or is it meant to be 'this is what we will be selling at AA, and only this'?
here lies everything...the world I wanted at my feet... my victory's complete...

solipoo

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for the website links they just want to see your art style, to make sure you aren't copying or tracing copyrighted things. you don't have to have everything that you plan on selling on the website.

also, has anyone been approved yet? I've been checking my email since I turned in the form yesterday after the reg. opened and I haven't gotten any confirmation. :'c I know the AA staffers have lives but is there an estimate of when we would be approved?

catnapcaps

Quote from: solipoo on March 26, 2011, 11:22:54 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for the website links they just want to see your art style, to make sure you aren't copying or tracing copyrighted things. you don't have to have everything that you plan on selling on the website.

also, has anyone been approved yet? I've been checking my email since I turned in the form yesterday after the reg. opened and I haven't gotten any confirmation. :'c I know the AA staffers have lives but is there an estimate of when we would be approved?

For all the AAs I have participated in, when they ask for a link to your portfolio they just want to see what you've done so they can see what type of work you do. I highly doubt the staffers want to look at every tiny thing you plan to make for each con so that they can check through everything at your table.

I haven't been approved yet. With all the bugs in the registration system yesterday I'm incredibly nervous about this. I wish that they had announced that you didn't need a badge earlier than the night before reg went up when they've been saying over and over that you NEED a badge to register. I bought the badge the morning before reg went up so I wouldn't run into any problems yesterday, and now I'm worried about being out $55 if I don't make it into the AA.

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: darkkako on March 25, 2011, 10:44:40 PM
That question came up on the facebook page, I believe the answer was that they'd like you to email them at the usual AA email address with the other pieces you plan to sell once you finish them. :)

Confirming this!

Also, some messages from the head:

At this moment in time, an artist is free to create a new account but the odds of getting in are very low.  It's still first-come, first-serve.

A couple of people have asked how long would it take for us to notify artists and to allow them to finish the signup process for those who made it.  We are giving ourselves a goal of one week to do so.

We understand that some groups had each of their artists register individually.  If you are one of them and would preferred to be registered as a group, please let us know through the AA email address.  Please be sure to indicate who is your primary artist as well as each of your members.

Thanks everyone! I hope everyone was able to make an account successfully. (:
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011

CoughDrops

I understand it's first come first serve, but isn't it unfair for the people who were waiting on the official link for 10 hours while the link was posted somewhere else?

idontknow

Quote from: CoughDrops on March 26, 2011, 01:40:47 PM
I understand it's first come first serve, but isn't it unfair for the people who were waiting on the official link for 10 hours while the link was posted somewhere else?

The link was posted on the official website first. Then it was posted on other sites after being released

Kimba616

Quote from: idontknow on March 27, 2011, 01:39:46 AM

The link was posted on the official website first. Then it was posted on other sites after being released

It was posted on Facebook around 1pm, on the forums around 1:30pm, and on the front page at 9pm. So many people were bombing the front page that it just wouldn't load, so they posted the link elsewhere to lighten up the main page traffic. That's my interpretation, at least.

CoughDrops

"This entry was posted on Friday, March 25th, 2011 at 9:24 pm"
? ? ?

idontknow

Quote from: CoughDrops on March 27, 2011, 04:08:24 PM

"This entry was posted on Friday, March 25th, 2011 at 9:24 pm"
? ? ?

oh that's weird. there was a bunch of people on facebook and the person that posted the link supposedly got it from fanime.com. i'm not sure where. but yeah ... now i don't know @_@ hahah

Kimba616

Quote from: idontknow on March 27, 2011, 05:08:52 PM
oh that's weird. there was a bunch of people on facebook and the person that posted the link supposedly got it from fanime.com. i'm not sure where. but yeah ... now i don't know @_@ hahah

Like I said, the main site was flooded, so the mods posted the link elsewhere(facebook, then the forums) to lighten the load on the front page.

darkkako

Actually, it was posted on the forums first. The forums were down because of the traffic, but there was a message when you tried to load them that said 'looking for AA reg?' and had a link to the reg page. Once the forums were back up, somebody came and posted it again since the original message was no longer there.

kittyCHOMP

So, I know that there can only be two people behind a table at a time, but can your friends take over for you if you wanna get up an enjoy the con? And also, can you have helpers come in with you to set up your table at the beginning of the day, even if they're not the ones registered for the AA?

Tonyantonius

I don't know if this is already asked but how long does the AA approval take and how do we know when we have been approved? do we get emailed or do we have to check somewhere on the fanime site? me and my brother just signed up and now we are waiting for approval.

solipoo

tony: I asked one of the heads. AA approval takes a week, and I believe we'll get an email confirmation. If you and your brother just signed up like, today or yesterday, apparently the chances of getting in are very low. :(

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: kittyCHOMP on March 27, 2011, 08:50:56 PM
So, I know that there can only be two people behind a table at a time, but can your friends take over for you if you wanna get up an enjoy the con? And also, can you have helpers come in with you to set up your table at the beginning of the day, even if they're not the ones registered for the AA?

Definitely, friends can take over for you.....as long as they're also registered with the AA. If they aren't registered for the AA, they will be allowed to sit in and watch your table but they won't be allowed to sell anything for you.

You can have helpers come in to help you set up/break down, as long as that happens during AA hours. In the setup/breakdown hours exclusively for artists before and after AA is open to the public, only artists will be permitted to be in the AA room. You can definitely start setting up during the setup hour before AA is open to the public, then have your friends come in when AA opens and help you finish setting up!
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011

Tonyantonius

Quote from: solipoo on March 28, 2011, 02:15:48 PM
tony: I asked one of the heads. AA approval takes a week, and I believe we'll get an email confirmation. If you and your brother just signed up like, today or yesterday, apparently the chances of getting in are very low. :(

Thanks, and no I signed up the day it opened

Skuldchan

Quote from: Ren_Zhao on March 28, 2011, 08:15:06 PM
Definitely, friends can take over for you.....as long as they're also registered with the AA. If they aren't registered for the AA, they will be allowed to sit in and watch your table but they won't be allowed to sell anything for you.

So for my boyfriend, who is not an artist, I should sign him up too as another artist sharing my table in order for him to sell when I go to enjoy the con?

Does that mean I need to submit a online portfolio via AA registration page for him too despite the fact he has no art of his own to sell? Should I also be putting him on my sellers permit or making an entirely new permit for him?

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Skuldchan on March 29, 2011, 09:16:37 PM
Quote from: Ren_Zhao on March 28, 2011, 08:15:06 PM

So for my boyfriend, who is not an artist, I should sign him up too as another artist sharing my table in order for him to sell when I go to enjoy the con?

Does that mean I need to submit a online portfolio via AA registration page for him too despite the fact he has no art of his own to sell? Should I also be putting him on my sellers permit or making an entirely new permit for him?

I think for the portfolio AAA wants to know what your know your artwork style and is giving assumptions what you might be selling at the convention. My guess is that it never hurts to see what you have done over the past year of works you accomplished. I think 3 years ago there was this one group of users who bought a table but used it for a hang out event instead of selling artworks, and as an excuse they post Advertisements on their table. I really do wonder if that considers Legal... since I had to turn down alot of adverts! (don't want my table to become a pop up advert.) but if you want to be sure on the safe side, try to make some works and then post them on a small facebook page or something. that way you can be 100% sure your doing a right job!

as for sign ups, I thought you only need one person to be held responsible for the works!? and the other is just to be a substitute... I could be mistaken but I really don't know.

Skuldchan

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on March 29, 2011, 09:26:05 PM
I think for the portfolio AAA wants to know what your know your artwork style and is giving assumptions what you might be selling at the convention. My guess is that it never hurts to see what you have done over the past year of works you accomplished. I think 3 years ago there was this one group of users who bought a table but used it for a hang out event instead of selling artworks, and as an excuse they post Advertisements on their table. I really do wonder if that considers Legal... since I had to turn down alot of adverts! (don't want my table to become a pop up advert.) but if you want to be sure on the safe side, try to make some works and then post them on a small facebook page or something. that way you can be 100% sure your doing a right job!

And that's fine with me. I understand that. And I appreciate that they're finally doing this to curb the amount of people who just get tables to sell the same artworks. But I was under the assumption that every person who was selling at a booth had to provide a online portfolio. I have my own, but does my boyfriend (who will be selling when I am enjoying myself) have to submit a portfolio because he is technically selling at that booth as an 'artist'?

LOL I'm probably making it more confusing then it really is, but I don't recall this rule last year when I did it. Then again I might have overlooked the instructions.