Fine Dining (2010 edition)

Started by Glitch, February 27, 2010, 10:35:21 PM

Menchi

QuoteThere is actually a cheesesteak shop nearby in Downtown San Jose(76 East Santa Clara St.) I love their steak fries

Hrm...that's not half a block from my friend's apartment.  I'm gonna have to try this place and see how it compares.

prototypem

The Old Spaghetti Factory is decent. I've only been there once and it was a long time ago. I enjoyed the food there. Just be sure to make reservations since it could be crowded.

Menchi

Last time I ate there my daiquiri had a large chunk of glass in it.  @_@  Obviously a huge mistake on their part, but something to consider if you're thinking of getting a blended drink there.  How such a large piece of glass got into their ice machine is beyond me.

michiko nakano

Quote from: Menchi on March 09, 2010, 09:31:11 AM
Last time I ate there my daiquiri had a large chunk of glass in it.  @_@  Obviously a huge mistake on their part, but something to consider if you're thinking of getting a blended drink there.  How such a large piece of glass got into their ice machine is beyond me.
sounds like something i would accidentely do as a waitress  :-[ well, it kinda looks like ice i guess

PyronIkari

Quote from: Menchi on March 09, 2010, 09:31:11 AM

I'm not talking about you specifically, but I always wondered why people report this like it's supposed to mean something. Weird stuff happens like this in all restaurants all the time. It's like going "Don't eat at this place, I got food poisoning here before". You can get food poisoning at any restaurant and 95% of the time it's not the restaurants fault at all.

Spaghetti factory is a chain of restaurants. It's pretty good and inexpensive for the amount you get. Price range is roughly 10-15$ per entree. Entrees are rather big, as one entree is enough to fill me up(compared to say BJ's where an entree will not fill me up without an appetizer + side).

Menchi

My intent wasn't to dissuade people from the place, really I was just looking for something to say.  I also don't really understand the notion, myself.  Not eating at a place because of one bad incident.  I've since eaten at the Old Spaghetti Factory multiple times without incident.  If anything the glass was a boon, as it got me a free drink. 

To avoid too much derailing, my coworkers are always talking about Alexander's Steakhouse.  Again, though, like my recommendation of Amato's it is a good distance away.  The food there is supposed to be amazing though, and from what I've heard of their conversations you pay for it.  Looking at at least fifty bucks for your steak. 

Dragon Ninja

Who can tell me about Johnny Rockets?

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: Dragon Ninja on March 09, 2010, 09:00:35 PM
Very crowed. At other locations some of the staff will dance on the counters to nifty '50s tunes, but during Fanime it is way too crowded for that.

Awesome chili cheese fries and milkshakes.

N.E.R.V.agent220

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on March 09, 2010, 09:39:17 PM
Very crowed. At other locations some of the staff will dance on the counters to nifty '50s tunes, but during Fanime it is way too crowded for that.

HMMM Johnny Rockets that will probably be on my list of restaurants to dine @ Fanime 2010 and by the way I will be sitting at the counter were I will see the staff cook not dance and listen to timeless 50's 60's 70's and 80's tunes if available. Song to play in jukebox if available Lights by Journey

michiko nakano

Quote from: N.E.R.V.agent220 on March 09, 2010, 09:48:22 PM
Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on March 09, 2010, 09:39:17 PM

HMMM Johnny Rockets that will probably be on my list of restaurants to dine @ Fanime 2010 and by the way I will be sitting at the counter were I will see the staff cook not dance and listen to timeless 50's 60's 70's and 80's tunes if available. Song to play in jukebox if available Lights by Journey
got a strawberry milkshake there last year.  it was MARVELOUS!!!

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: N.E.R.V.agent220 on March 09, 2010, 09:48:22 PM
Be warned that the mini jukeboxes on the tables are just for show and don't actually work. I was pretty disappointed about that.

michiko nakano

yeah that would disappoint me too...  :-\

but i guess i could add that the milkshakes are like four bucks and they give you the glass with the milkshake in it, as well as the metal thing it was mixed in, also full, so really you could totally split a milkshake, each have one of said containers, and it's a nice cheap date!  totally did that last year ^___^

Barnes

I might make my way to Poor House Bistro (91 South Autumn Street) one night. Good New Orleans food, I'd say.
I also wanna try Henry's Hi Life(301 W. St. John) and Gumbo Jumbo(80 N. Market Street) How are those places?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

TC X0 Lt 0X

I work right across the street from Poor House Bistro sometimes. I have heard such good things about that place.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Moonblossom

I was about to suggest the Asqew Grill, so I went and looked it up to get a link to their site. Imagine my dismay when I found out it's been closed T_T

I was so looking forward to going back...

michiko nakano

hm... i don't live in san jose, so it's been nice hearing about these restaurants.  i found pizza my heart and all the ones in that direction (con center being starting point of expidition) down to mcdonalds, and i also found the ones in the area of johnny rockets.  but this year i was thinking of walking to a grocery store for things like french bread and fruit... where is the closest one to the con?  (i hope this isn't tooo unrelated to the thread)

Menchi

There's a Safeway Market on 2nd and E San Fernando. Not as well stocked as a full grocery store, but it should supply you with everything you're looking for. Also in easy walking distance from the con.

heeroyuy135

There are also two Food Maxx stores in the San Jose area within driving distance - one on Meridian and Parkmoor off the 280 & one on Tully and Quimby near the Eastridge Center. Both are open 24 hours.

HarpB

since I am the vegeterian and Indian, I go to Tandoori. It is next to the Original Joe. Some of the stuff is half off between 4-6pm, so that is when I usually go there for food.

FanFicGuru

I just got 3 words for ya'll:

Subway: Eat Fresh. (and cheap!)
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015