Fine Dining (2010 edition)

Started by Glitch, February 27, 2010, 10:35:21 PM

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 07, 2010, 03:44:53 PM
I just got 3 words for ya'll:

Subway: Eat Fresh. (and cheap!)

It's true, even if it is really unhealthy.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

michiko nakano

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 07, 2010, 06:57:24 PM

better than other con foods like coffeepotramen and mcdonalds.
plus you can get healthy-ish chips, apple slices, orange juice, etc. there.  and it's comfort food!  is there one near the con center?  :3

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: michiko nakano on April 07, 2010, 08:37:11 PM

plus you can get healthy-ish chips, apple slices, orange juice, etc. there.  and it's comfort food!  is there one near the con center?  :3

Actually if I remember correctly McDonalds SnackWraps (a few of them anyway) are more healthy then your average Subway Sandwich. Crazy I know. But it is true, Subway is more healthy then most Fastfoods.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

WaffoCellist

Quote from: Barnes on March 17, 2010, 09:02:32 PM
I might make my way to Poor House Bistro (91 South Autumn Street) one night. Good New Orleans food, I'd say.
I also wanna try Henry's Hi Life(301 W. St. John) and Gumbo Jumbo(80 N. Market Street) How are those places?

Poor House Bistro is okay.  Reasonable sizes and great prices.  My favorite items on the menus are the po' boys. If you can get on their e-mail list, they tend to send out lots of coupons.

If you are going to take the time to trek somewhere definitely go to Henry's High Life.  I was always curious about the place every time I drove by it on 87.  I finally went after that mouthwatering episode on I saw on Man vs. Food where the host visited the restaurant.  Great price for the amount of meat you get.  I've tried both the ribs (I tried to attack a whole rack and couldn't succeed-only stuck to half portions) and the prime rib.  Both are outstanding!  Comes with a nice salad and awesome bread.  I can't remember if there was a potato or not...it's been a while since I've gone; I had to limit/eliminate meat from my diet after the surgery I had in late January. 

Gumbo Jumbo is pretty good too, but kinda pricey ($15-$22 entree).  I favor their jambalaya over Poor House, but that's just me.  There are very few restaurants that could compare to the traditional taste of real New Orleans cooking, but I think Gumbo Jumbo does a good job.

If you are looking for another BBQ spot and have a vehicle, another great spot to hit is Blue Rock BBQ on 3001 Meridian Ave (it't about a 4-5 mile drive from the convention center).  They do and awesome dry rub BBQ and have outstanding Tennessee pulled pork options.  Everything on their menu is reasonably priced and comes with a nice selection of sides (I always stick to the baked beans...sweet and smokey).

Hope you get to try out these great eats when you come over to SJ for FanimeCon!
It's a convict...it's a felon...NO! It's a Fanime Logistics Staffer coming your way!!!!

FanFicGuru

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 07, 2010, 09:51:21 PM

Actually if I remember correctly McDonalds SnackWraps (a few of them anyway) are more healthy then your average Subway Sandwich. Crazy I know. But it is true, Subway is more healthy then most Fastfoods.

Yeah I wasn't saying that I necessarily believe that Subway's all that good for you, hell a foot-long Meatball sandwich is like 1250-1400 calories. Still, buy a footlong at lunch, have half at lunch and half at dinner. 5 bucks. Good times.

Especially for people who go to fanime with like 100 bucks, if that, and expect to make it through the weekend lol
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

TC X0 Lt 0X

Ate at Poor House Bistro yesterday at lunch break sense it was raining and I had no desire to walk all the way to Subway in the rain. I ended up paying little over 10 dollars for a Cheeseburger, Fries, and a soda. But it only took 5min for the food to be done. They give a modest amount of food. The cheeseburger was a decent size and there was plenty of fries. I ended up not finishing all my fries because there was so many. I can't say much more sense all I had was a simple cheeseburger, yet to have anything else on the menu, much less knowing what they are. Stil it was pretty good.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

EJAY420

why isn't there a taco truck near the  water fountains?
Most Impressive.

Jerry

Quote from: EJAY420 on April 13, 2010, 01:01:44 PM

i joked about this too, but ironically it may/may not be the best idea.

if someone were to tip them off that hundred or rabid hungry fan people [mostly cosplayers] have them drive into the fountain area and sound of their horns. :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Jerry on April 13, 2010, 01:43:39 PM
Quote from: EJAY420 on April 13, 2010, 01:01:44 PM

i joked about this too, but ironically it may/may not be the best idea.

if someone were to tip them off that hundred or rabid hungry fan people [mostly cosplayers] have them drive into the fountain area and sound of their horns. :P

Then Chaos will ensue.

That and they might become a traffic hazard. Plenty of cars drive through the ring dropping off teen/tween congoers to the convention, and a Lunch truck would not do them any justice.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

otakuya

Shameless plug: Cafe Primavera @ the Tech Museum (cuz I work there!)

There's a new Subway opening up right across the street from the con center at the 360 building. I'm not sure if it'll open by Fanime.

iomoon

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 08, 2010, 05:06:15 PM

Yeah I wasn't saying that I necessarily believe that Subway's all that good for you, hell a foot-long Meatball sandwich is like 1250-1400 calories. Still, buy a footlong at lunch, have half at lunch and half at dinner. 5 bucks. Good times.

Especially for people who go to fanime with like 100 bucks, if that, and expect to make it through the weekend lol

I survived on 90 dollars... but that was because I ate breakfast at home and I was used to finding reasonably priced food there as a student. XD

For grocery stores: If you don't mind walking a bit, Zanotto's Market is on 2nd Street and Market Street. If you're there on Friday, the Student Union of SJSU is open for inexpensive dining.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: iomoon on April 28, 2010, 08:35:30 PM
Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 08, 2010, 05:06:15 PM

I survived on 90 dollars... but that was because I ate breakfast at home and I was used to finding reasonably priced food there as a student. XD

For grocery stores: If you don't mind walking a bit, Zanotto's Market is on 2nd Street and Market Street. If you're there on Friday, the Student Union of SJSU is open for inexpensive dining.

Ramada Limited's Continental Breakfasts in combination of Subway Lunch and JackInTheBox Dinner slimmed my food spending down to ~$50. For 2 People.
Still wish I got a Hilton room but the free Breakfasts will be as welcome as they were last year.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

heeroyuy135

Subway sound good close to the con

Lizchan33

Quote from: Touya no Miko on March 01, 2010, 07:25:55 PM
I can't exactly remember the name, but it was a little Asian food place that sold bento sets, such as chicken and pork cutlet, with rice, and some kind of tofu. Because of Fanime, they were able to stay open till midnight. I believe it was close to Jack n the Box. Pretty good and not ridiculously expensive.

Ditto those bentos were pretty good. Not the best of the best but pretty good. And not overly busy, I was able to get a seat inside at lunch time with my mom and little brother :D

summerchristmas838

Any good sushi places within walking distance?
Or not even good but edible.

Jerry

Quote from: summerchristmas838 on May 12, 2010, 11:03:30 PM
Any good sushi places within walking distance?
Or not even good but edible.

Ninja Star Sushi Bar
130 E Santa Clara St
San Jose, CA 95113
(408) 297-0568
www.ninjastarsushi.com/Welcome.html

pulled this one from yelp.com [always a good site]
theres LOTS of sushi around withing walking distance, but this location delivers!

or just try Yelp.com around the downtown SJ area- the site usually does me well. :)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Nephilim

Quote from: Knightfire on February 28, 2010, 10:31:07 AM
Personally, one of my favorites is Iguana's for mexican food., especially if you are a fan of burrito's.
I know, not exactly fine dining, but I've heard Iguana's is the best for burritos and La Victoria's around the corner is the best for Tacos.

"Frah muja lycd sa uid, ed fyc lniamdo fru duug bedo uh sa..."

hikarihoshi28

Well...it's certainly not the most inexpensive place in town, but Il Fornaio is excellent. It'd be especially good if you wanted a nice dinner before the Black & White Ball. =)
(As for dessert, I'd strongly recommend the vanilla gelato with espresso. Anything you get there should be good, though.)

Also, should you find yourself in Santa Clara (north from SJ on 101), there's a fabulous place in the Mercado shopping center called Tomatina. It has similar fare to Il Fornaio (for less) and the Best. Cappuccinos. Ever. XD

Jelly Soup

If you have transportation and basic cooking skills, you can make a decently priced meal or three with ingredients bought at Mitsuwa.

otakuya

The Market Safeway is always a good bet. Sushis there are pretty decent (typical store-quality, but fresh made in house). Some deli foods and fried stuff are good too.

Recommended: The Market's deli sandwiches. They are huge and have big selection of toppings (way better than Subway and for about the same price).
Tip: use the computers there to order and in the meat menu select "combo meat" as one of the 2 meats you can select. Combo meat is roast beef, ham, and turkey slices; but counts as 1 meat.