How do you beat the heat during Fanime?

Started by Aliwhatever, April 19, 2010, 03:29:21 PM

michiko nakano

hikarihoshi28

Just thought I'd put this out here:

This year has been an El nino year, which means an extended period of cooler, wet weather. It actually rained yesterday and to be honest it felt a lot more like February than May. ><
So while it's perfectly possible that things will warm up at the end of the month, it might be a good idea to prepare for the possibility of the weather not being so toasty.

I guess we'll all just have to keep our eyes on the forecast. XD

michiko nakano

If it's too hot, go to the hotel room and take off some clothes. 

It it's too cold, go to the hotel room with some friends and take off some clothes and
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Mi Feng

This year, the weather looks really nice. ^^
High 70s on Friday and Saturday. Low 80s on Sunday and Monday.

Charis

Ew, that's about ten degrees too much for me. D: But the weather's been seriously ADD lately -- cold one day, warm the next, cooling down rather drastically some nights.  Not sure how San Jose's been precisely, but bear in mind that nights might still get chilly even if the days are warm.

(Seriously, non-toasty weather would make me the happiest clam around.  Wet weather?  Not so much.)
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Nephilim

Yeah, the weather's been really nice lately! \(^ ^)/
I'm secretly hoping it'll stay like this till Fanime, but I know people usually prefer sunny weather. Sunny means hot! T__T

To stay cool, I:
_avoid the sun
_fan myself (I got a free Prinny fan at Fanime '08 and '09, hoping to see a new design this year)
_enjoy the outside at nighttime
_try to dress in light clothes, but its not always an option
_drink plenty of fluids
_stop walking around and plop down somewhere to go through the stuff I've bought
_sneak into the fridge room at Ben & Jerry's (I work there :p)

"Frah muja lycd sa uid, ed fyc lniamdo fru duug bedo uh sa..."

iomoon

It looks like it's going to rain on Memorial Day weekend. :( *crosses fingers* lets hope the forecast changes!

michiko nakano

omg, i know so many people that would love for it to rain.  what's better then rain-lovers hanging out with newly met friends from con playing ninja in the park?  bliissssss

BrightHeart76

Rain would kill most cosplayers.  Don't want to get an outfit that took hours of your life and tons of money to put together wet.  Here's hoping for dry weather.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

EJAY420

watching the news. the next 7 days, 4 days will be "wet". All bay. (I'm thinking mostly North Bay). It's cold for May!
Most Impressive.

Charis

Weather Underground's page for the Con Centre zip code says a chance of rain W/Th of next week (that's as far as their forecast goes), but 40% and 30% respectively.  As everyone knows, weather forecasting's a fuzzy thing, though.

Here's to hoping that if there is rain, it's minimal and not prolonged -- I'd be fine with a little in the morning or late at night, just to keep things cool but not to leave lingering damp.  As a cosplayer ... yep, no thank you; half of my stuff isn't going anywhere outside if it's raining, between colour (white), materials (silk), and length (potentially draggy hems).  I love rain normally, but not a big fan of it in cosplay.

Keeping fingers crossed for cooler, slightly overcast, but mostly DRY.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

michiko nakano

I agree, cosplays must be protected at all costs.  Perhaps if it rained during the wee hours of the morning it would be nice though, so it would be nice and cool when everyone woke up.

Avairrianna

The cool weather is welcomed but not the rain... still looks like rain might hit though next week

(All the outside gathering are gonna bum-rush the lobby to hold their gatherings...oh poor BSaphire...she's gonna go crazy trying to deal with the gatherings)

Typically it's over 100 degrees during Fanime where I live so I like it
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

EJAY420

if it continues to be like this, this would be my very first Fanime where I HAVE to bring a JACKET!
Most Impressive.

otakuya

If memory serves me correctly, it'll (possibly) be the first time since Fanime 2k that it rained (or will rain) on a con day. No real need to worry about heat, then.

Nephilim

Nuuuu.... I fell bad now for secretly wishing for cold weather...  ._.
I never thought about the cosplayers! ;  ;

"Frah muja lycd sa uid, ed fyc lniamdo fru duug bedo uh sa..."

Hibari_Fangirl

I think it changed!
Weather.com now says that the 29th and 30th will be sunny at the very least, and with high temperatures of 69-70. Nearly no chance of rain (sorry, rain-lovers, I like cloudy myself.).
Let's cross our fingers and hope it doesn't change! (But bring a jacket in case? the end of the con day might get cold.)
FanimeCon'13 - Kuroko Tetsuya, Kagamine Len (Punkish, Revamped!Alice Human Sacrifice, Prince), Rainbow Dash (Genderbend), Alois Trancy (Revamped)

ctrlzproductions.deviantart.com

https://www.hetchrome.deviantart.com
https://www.fanfiction.net/~hetch

Raydere

I hope it stays sunny; as someone who went to Sakura-Con in Seattle this year, had a hotel room that was 15 minutes away, and walked to and from the con center in cosplay, I know that rainy weather during a con blows. (And it will blow even moreso if it happens at Fanime due to a higher proportion of outdoor events.)
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

Avairrianna

Looking like only rain on day zero ^^ and nice and cool! 73 will be the hottest it gets
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

EJAY420

I really don't think you'll have any problem with the heat this year.
Most Impressive.