FanimeCon 2011 Cosplay & Peace-Bonding Thread [Final]

Started by Aelia, June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM

JewishCosplayer

Quote from: Aelia on February 11, 2011, 12:14:23 AM
Quote from: JewishCosplayer on February 11, 2011, 12:06:46 AM
Quick question, my friends and I are cosplaying from Hetalia. We are bringing Canadian, Ukrainian, Belgium and Belarus flags. We were wondering why type of flag-pole we should use for them? We don't want to use anything that would violate the rules, which is why we are asking.   ;)
The only requirements for flag poles is that they are not sharp, and are made of wood or aluminum or something of the like.

Thank you :)

elflady_2001

Quote from: Aelia on June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM

- Sword-like props may not be made of live steel (metal which can take an edge).

What if the katana is an unsharpened, practice one made of aluminum?  Like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200566306475&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350436402636&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cosplay Circus

Just wanted to be sure, but I remember last year there was a rule that was something along the lines of if someone came in as an OC with a weapon they could only keep their weapon if it was a published character. Is that the same for this year? I'm just trying to get an idea for what elements I can add to a steam punk OC or steam punk styled character, wouldn't want to make something and find out it isn't allowed.  ;)
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

Aelia

Quote from: elflady_2001 on February 12, 2011, 11:41:47 AM
Quote from: Aelia on June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM

- Sword-like props may not be made of live steel (metal which can take an edge).

What if the katana is an unsharpened, practice one made of aluminum?  Like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200566306475&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350436402636&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Aluminum is a metal which could be sharpened, so those would still qualify as "live steel" by our working definition. They would not be allowed. What people have done, to great success, in the past has been getting all-wood swords and painting them with high-gloss silver paint.

Quote from: Wolftale on February 15, 2011, 03:58:33 PM
Just wanted to be sure, but I remember last year there was a rule that was something along the lines of if someone came in as an OC with a weapon they could only keep their weapon if it was a published character. Is that the same for this year? I'm just trying to get an idea for what elements I can add to a steam punk OC or steam punk styled character, wouldn't want to make something and find out it isn't allowed.  ;)

We've cut the "published character" rule, in favor of a "must clearly be a cosplay, and therefore the prop must suit it." Which translates to; so long as your outfit and prop are both clearly steampunk, you are alright.
Director of Operations

Cosplay Circus

Just wanted to be sure, but I remember last year there was a rule that was something along the lines of if someone came in as an OC with a weapon they could only keep their weapon if it was a published character. Is that the same for this year? I'm just trying to get an idea for what elements I can add to a steam punk OC or steam punk styled character, wouldn't want to make something and find out it isn't allowed.  ;)

We've cut the "published character" rule, in favor of a "must clearly be a cosplay, and therefore the prop must suit it." Which translates to; so long as your outfit and prop are both clearly steampunk, you are alright.
[/quote]

Sounds good. I know this might be pushing it a bit, but I have plans to make a new scythe for my Maka cosplay and it's going to be plastic but when I cast it I was thinking about using a metal powder that would give it a metal look and I was just wondering if I'd be pushing my luck with doing it. The blade part would be blunt of course, I just wasn't sure if it fell into the category of live steel since the colors are pretty bright for the scythe.

edit: it's still plastic, the metal is pretty much a dust that would be a thin layer to add the colored look
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)

Aelia

Quote from: Wolftale on February 15, 2011, 04:16:59 PM
Quote from: Aelia on February 15, 2011, 04:04:07 PM
Just wanted to be sure, but I remember last year there was a rule that was something along the lines of if someone came in as an OC with a weapon they could only keep their weapon if it was a published character. Is that the same for this year? I'm just trying to get an idea for what elements I can add to a steam punk OC or steam punk styled character, wouldn't want to make something and find out it isn't allowed.  ;)

Sounds good. I know this might be pushing it a bit, but I have plans to make a new scythe for my Maka cosplay and it's going to be plastic but when I cast it I was thinking about using a metal powder that would give it a metal look and I was just wondering if I'd be pushing my luck with doing it. The blade part would be blunt of course, I just wasn't sure if it fell into the category of live steel since the colors are pretty bright for the scythe.

edit: it's still plastic, the metal is pretty much a dust that would be a thin layer to add the colored look
Our issue is with props which are over-large (which your scythe could be, if you're not careful about scale) and actual, sharp or sharpen-able metal. In this case, so long as your scythe can still easily fit through a doorway without becoming a traffic hazard because you have to angle it funny, and it's not made of sharp metal, you'll be alright.
Director of Operations

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: Aelia on February 15, 2011, 04:29:13 PM
Quote from: Wolftale on February 15, 2011, 04:16:59 PM
Quote from: Aelia on February 15, 2011, 04:04:07 PM

Our issue is with props which are over-large (which your scythe could be, if you're not careful about scale) and actual, sharp or sharpen-able metal. In this case, so long as your scythe can still easily fit through a doorway without becoming a traffic hazard because you have to angle it funny, and it's not made of sharp metal, you'll be alright.

It will definitely be able to fit in a doorway since I have to be able to fit it in my car when we're driving down there XD I just wanted to make sure before I started working on it if it was going to cause any problems since I'm doing a few of them in the same way.

Thank you!
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)

elflady_2001

Steve.Young

Quote from: Simna on February 10, 2011, 11:52:13 PM
Quote from: Aelia on February 06, 2011, 07:09:43 PM
As far as airsoft goes... it's impossible to glance at it and know that it's non-functional, and we don't allow any functional projectiles of any kind.

What if, say for instance, the trigger has been removed?

No. Airsoft is still airsoft regardless of functionality.

Quote from: ice queen on February 10, 2011, 11:56:47 PM
I also had a question, is a empty bottle with a fake vodka label ok? I'm planning to cosplay as Russia and none of my cosplaying friends were to sure.

Yes.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

ice queen

I have another question. Cause it looks like my foam idea to make Russia's lead pipe ain't happening. I was curious would using PVC piping for the whole thing be ok? Then all I have to is paint it silver and use foam as detailing.
2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

Aelia

Quote from: ice queen on February 26, 2011, 10:59:16 PM
I have another question. Cause it looks like my foam idea to make Russia's lead pipe ain't happening. I was curious would using PVC piping for the whole thing be ok? Then all I have to is paint it silver and use foam as detailing.
So you want to make a fake-lead pipe out of painted PVC? I don't see an issue with that.
Director of Operations

Antstep

Ok so i'm cosplaying as the spy and since i can't bring my trainer blade, i've found something that i think is acceptable. It's a plastic butterfly knife comb but the handles are metal. I plan on painting the comb part silver since it's originally black. Is this ok?

roarkyo

Quote from: Antstep on February 27, 2011, 03:39:53 PM
Ok so i'm cosplaying as the spy and since i can't bring my trainer blade, i've found something that i think is acceptable. It's a plastic butterfly knife comb but the handles are metal. I plan on painting the comb part silver since it's originally black. Is this ok?
I would think so as long as the metal handlles couldn't take an edge, and you could either paint it or wrap it in foil like some people do.
Fanime attendee 2007-2010
May not be able to attend 2011 or 2012 Fanime :(

Aelia

Something like this: Butterfly Knife Comb?

Something like that would be fine, painted silver or not, or covered in plastic or anything besides sharpen-able metal. Quite a few people used cardboard to make the knife-shape then covered it.
Director of Operations

Antstep

Quote from: Aelia on February 27, 2011, 03:59:12 PM

Something like this: Butterfly Knife Comb?

Something like that would be fine, painted silver or not, or covered in plastic or anything besides sharpen-able metal. Quite a few people used cardboard to make the knife-shape then covered it.
This works even better. I like the idea of wrapping tin foil around the comb area. I'll probably do this, thanks! ;D

fishesloverice?

How about an umbrella? Does it need to be peace bonded?  :-\
私の最後の意志で!

Aelia

Erm... Umbrellas don't really need to be peace-bonded. It'd be nifty if you do stop by, but I don't foresee it being a problem if you don't.
Director of Operations

Halo

Hello! I've been to con's in the past, but this is my first Fanime.

I will be cosplaying Ellis from L4D2, and I will have on my side a prop Molotov (A bottle with cloth in it.) but the bottle is made of thick glass.

will it be alright to take to the con? It will NEVER leave my side (It's attached to my belt, and cannot come off) and is nearly unbreakible (Unless you smashed it a few times on the pavment, you could try and crack it.)

Thank you in advance.
Fanime 2011

Miku [Secret Black Vow]
Ayame [Pokemon Trainer]
Ellis [Left 4 Dead 2]

DeviantART: http://thoshy.deviantart.com/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/xYakushiKabuto

Aelia

Quote from: Halo on March 06, 2011, 11:16:16 PM
Hello! I've been to con's in the past, but this is my first Fanime.

I will be cosplaying Ellis from L4D2, and I will have on my side a prop Molotov (A bottle with cloth in it.) but the bottle is made of thick glass.

will it be alright to take to the con? It will NEVER leave my side (It's attached to my belt, and cannot come off) and is nearly unbreakible (Unless you smashed it a few times on the pavment, you could try and crack it.)

Thank you in advance.

It's actually not about the glass, but rather about the fact that it will  look like a real explosive from a distance. Unfortunately, it cannot be allowed.
Director of Operations

tsukichu☆

I know this may sound weird but..

Does a cardboard box count as a prop (it's part of my Sealand [Hetalia] cosplay) and am I allowed to bring it inside Fanime?
Fanime 2014 - Fey Rune (Inazuma GO Chrono Stone), Kazemaru Ichirouta (Inazuma Eleven)

MAYBE: Kagerou Project, Danball Senki Wars, Dangan Ronpa

Taakutsu @ deviantART, sarufei @ Tumblr