FanimeCon 2011 Cosplay & Peace-Bonding Thread [Final]

Started by Aelia, June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM

microgamer2vs2

Quote from: Aelia on May 02, 2011, 11:19:15 AM
Quote from: microgamer2vs2 on May 02, 2011, 09:35:03 AM
Hi, I'm concerned whether my chainsaw prop complies with FanimeCon peace-bonding rules or not.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/MghtyAxWlder/P1010627.jpg
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/222191_1904517607175_1068803291_2226889_1651115_n.jpg

My main concern is that I used a drive chain from a bike while making the prop.

Here's the reference picture from the anime the coplay comes from.
http://wideface.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/ayumuref.jpg

If that's not acceptable, then I hope making another replica completely out of cardboard/paper would be acceptable.

1) Does it work? (Not: is it a chainsaw, but does anything move?)

2) Aside from the chain, what's it made of?

1) No, it does not work. The chain is glued and tied down in place.

2) Cardboard, recycled plastic jugs, broken Snake Light (plastic), paper, duct tape.
(X'______') wideface the blog

Lucky

I have a bit of a concern about my costume meeting Fanime's requirements.
I would like to do a police version of Spain from Hetalia, but I'm worried about it violating the "no realistic depictions of law enforcement" rule. It is obviously different from police uniforms in California, I believe, and the word "police" would not be anywhere on it. The hat would clearly be fake, bought from a costume store. Would this be alright?

Also, would a tiny, fluorescent colored squirt gun be okay, provided it stays empty and isn't used to squirt anyone or pointed towards anyone? Or would I need to remove the functional parts of that, too?

Aelia

Quote from: microgamer2vs2 on May 02, 2011, 12:27:13 PM
Quote from: Aelia on May 02, 2011, 11:19:15 AM
Quote from: microgamer2vs2 on May 02, 2011, 09:35:03 AM
Hi, I'm concerned whether my chainsaw prop complies with FanimeCon peace-bonding rules or not.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/MghtyAxWlder/P1010627.jpg
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/222191_1904517607175_1068803291_2226889_1651115_n.jpg

My main concern is that I used a drive chain from a bike while making the prop.

Here's the reference picture from the anime the coplay comes from.
http://wideface.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/ayumuref.jpg

If that's not acceptable, then I hope making another replica completely out of cardboard/paper would be acceptable.

1) Does it work? (Not: is it a chainsaw, but does anything move?)

2) Aside from the chain, what's it made of?

1) No, it does not work. The chain is glued and tied down in place.

2) Cardboard, recycled plastic jugs, broken Snake Light (plastic), paper, duct tape.

I don't see an issue here. Just get it peace-bonded.

Quote from: Lucky on May 02, 2011, 04:17:30 PM
I have a bit of a concern about my costume meeting Fanime's requirements.
I would like to do a police version of Spain from Hetalia, but I'm worried about it violating the "no realistic depictions of law enforcement" rule. It is obviously different from police uniforms in California, I believe, and the word "police" would not be anywhere on it. The hat would clearly be fake, bought from a costume store. Would this be alright?

Also, would a tiny, fluorescent colored squirt gun be okay, provided it stays empty and isn't used to squirt anyone or pointed towards anyone? Or would I need to remove the functional parts of that, too?

With the squirt gun, it can't be fillable, or usable. So it either needs a hole in it to keep it from being filled, or the trigger needs to be disabled.

As far as the costume; it cannot say "police" (or "policia") and it should not have badges on it. If it looks like the picture you linked to, it should be alright.
Director of Operations

Aiyurisan

Hello, my cosplay involves carrying around a guitar for a prop and my question is do I need to get it peace bonded?

Aelia

Quote from: Aiyurisan on May 02, 2011, 09:25:15 PM
Hello, my cosplay involves carrying around a guitar for a prop and my question is do I need to get it peace bonded?
What's the costume? Tell me more about your guitar. Is it acoustic? electric?
Director of Operations

microgamer2vs2

(X'______') wideface the blog

Aiyurisan

Quote from: Aelia on May 02, 2011, 09:54:23 PM

The cosplay I will be doing is Kagamine Len, Setsugetsuka version. My boyfriend will be doing the Kaito version which includes a black bass. Both guitar and bass are electric.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3695/78302845.jpg

VorpalStorm

Aelia

Quote from: Aiyurisan on May 02, 2011, 11:00:40 PM
Quote from: Aelia on May 02, 2011, 09:54:23 PM

The cosplay I will be doing is Kagamine Len, Setsugetsuka version. My boyfriend will be doing the Kaito version which includes a black bass. Both guitar and bass are electric.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3695/78302845.jpg

Uh. I think that should be OK to carry, and yes it will need a peacebond.

Quote from: VorpalStorm on May 03, 2011, 03:12:31 AM
Would a real alto (metal) saxophone be a problem?

That should be alright as long as it's part of a costume, and you get it peacebonded.
Director of Operations

VorpalStorm

Quote from: VorpalStorm on May 03, 2011, 03:12:31 AM
Would a real alto (metal) saxophone be a problem?

That should be alright as long as it's part of a costume, and you get it peacebonded.
[/quote]

Most epic!  Thanks!

Tevexs

Okay, so this will be my 3rd year at fanimecon and last year I went as Reborn from Katekyo Hitman Reborn.  I was told i couldnt bring an airsoft gun so i went the whole con without a gun and it looked pretty lame, so this year i bought a rubber replica thats painted in safety yellow.  Obviously it is harmless and has no working parts, being completely comprised of rubber.  Would i be able to take this to the peace-bonding station and get it bonded, making it totally okay for me to carry it around?  Here's a picture of it:

Tevexs

DivineVTDragon

Tevexs

Okay, so this will be my 3rd year at fanimecon and last year I went as Reborn from Katekyo Hitman Reborn.  I was told i couldnt bring an airsoft gun so i went the whole con without a gun and it looked pretty lame, so this year i bought a rubber replica thats painted in safety yellow.  Obviously it is harmless and has no working parts, being completely comprised of rubber.  Would i be able to take this to the peace-bonding station and get it bonded, making it totally okay for me to carry it around?  Here's a picture of it:

Tevexs

Aelia

Quote from: Tevexs on May 04, 2011, 08:44:11 PM

So long as:
- it is solid rubber, and has no functional parts or removable bits
- it stays solid yellow, and is not painted
- it never gets pointed at anyone or anything
- it is carried holstered, or in a neutral position
- it is never pointed at anyone, even while posing for pictures
then yes, you can get it peacebonded.
Director of Operations

Inai

I believe I know the answer to this question anyway (which is no) but I wanted to ask anyway.
I have another gun that I want to use for a costume but it's a cap gun. With no ammo, are these ok to use or not? This is the one I want to use in question: http://tinyurl.com/4x49omr I saw previous posts about airsoft guns not being ok but to the ones I saw asking about cap guns, I didn't see a reply to (unless I missed it which is possible).
I know the policy is any guns with functional parts are not ok but I wanted to ask anyway to make sure before I go on a hunt for another gun or possibly make one.

bsan89

Quick question.
What about Japanese Sashimono?

I'm coming in as a Helghast from Killzone wearing a Sashimono.
Mine is something like this but shorter.

I'm 5'8 and it hangs maybe 2-3 inch above my head.
It should clear most door and I can adjust the height.

P.S:
I also have a painted metallic Nerf gun. The barrel is 1-inch left untouch color: ORANGE.
I smash most of the working part to make it non-function and GLUE the AMMO CLIP so I can't reload it.
(I'm trying to make it compliance to the rule as much as possible)

Aelia

Quote from: Inai on May 09, 2011, 09:31:19 PM
I believe I know the answer to this question anyway (which is no) but I wanted to ask anyway.
I have another gun that I want to use for a costume but it's a cap gun. With no ammo, are these ok to use or not? This is the one I want to use in question: http://tinyurl.com/4x49omr I saw previous posts about airsoft guns not being ok but to the ones I saw asking about cap guns, I didn't see a reply to (unless I missed it which is possible).
I know the policy is any guns with functional parts are not ok but I wanted to ask anyway to make sure before I go on a hunt for another gun or possibly make one.
We've been saying no to cap guns.

Quote from: bsan89 on May 09, 2011, 10:24:29 PM
Quick question.
What about Japanese Sashimono?

I'm coming in as a Helghast from Killzone wearing a Sashimono.
Mine is something like this but shorter.

I'm 5'8 and it hangs maybe 2-3 inch above my head.
It should clear most door and I can adjust the height.

P.S:
I also have a painted metallic Nerf gun. The barrel is 1-inch left untouch color: ORANGE.
I smash most of the working part to make it non-function and GLUE the AMMO CLIP so I can't reload it.
(I'm trying to make it compliance to the rule as much as possible)
As long as you've got a costume which goes with the sashimono, and it really can clear doorways, and it's not trailing behind you more than 3-4", you should be fine. If it's trailing behind you more than 4", you'll need an official "handler" to help you with crowds.

Your NERF gun may be ok, so long as it's really nonfunctional. Bring it by a peacebonding station for review.
Director of Operations

Darkyukirin

Quote from: udonoodle on March 31, 2011, 10:53:38 PM
Quote from: Aelia on March 31, 2011, 10:49:23 PM
Quote from: udonoodle on March 31, 2011, 10:46:06 PM
Quote from: Aelia on March 31, 2011, 10:39:11 PM
Quote from: udonoodle on March 31, 2011, 10:32:58 PM
Hello!
I have a sword (which i'm planning on altering the handle into a prop)
it's edges are NOT sharpened
but it has a pointy end
It is made of metal

Will this get taken?

No. We don't peace-bond metal swords.

...so why do you say "live steel" rather than "all steel"?
thanks for the update
(although i am a little depressed)

Any sword which is made of metal is made to be potentially sharpened. It's the way they're designed. So all metal swords are "live steel"

What people have done in the past to still have something to carry is cutting off the blade and attaching the handle to hilt. That's your choice though. Other people have substituted bokken, because they basically look like sheathed swords-- unless your sword would be a western-style sword rather than a katana-- and they can be made to work.

"handle to hilt"?
a hilt is a handle isn't it?
well i guess thanks is order (it would have sucked to finish the prop and then figure this out)
i'll just make the whole thing out of expandable foam and be done with it >.>

So to be clear on the sword, as long as it doesn't have a sharp tip and not metal it can be peace bonded right?
Therefore Rukia's white sword (wooded) would be okay?
http://www.hellocosplay.com/bleach-kuchiki-rukia-zanpakuto-sword-sode-no-shirayuki-p-178.html