The sports thread

Started by otakuya, June 22, 2010, 10:04:50 PM

otakuya

World Cup, Sharks, Giants, 49ers, Raiders, A's, Warriors...whatever you'd like to discuss in this alternate world of sports.

Quickies:
I, for one, am glad I didn't get to be at last week's NASCAR race at Sonoma, because I would not understand what happened to Marcos Ambrose with 7 laps left. Thank you TNT and RaceBuddy. To this day, I still don't understand what happened to his car.

I like England, Italy, or France to win the World Cup...but I'm still amused by the overwhelming vuvuzelas heard nonstop at every game. At least it's something KNBR can talk about rather than bad officiating.

Go Lincecum

N.E.R.V.agent220

*Brandishes 9mm*

You forgot one more sport and that is The PGA Tour.

What is your take on The PGA Tour Championship 2010?

How do you feel about Tiger Woods playing in The Ryder Cup?

otakuya

Quote from: N.E.R.V.agent220 on September 22, 2010, 10:43:27 PM
What is your take on The PGA Tour Championship 2010?

How do you feel about Tiger Woods playing in The Ryder Cup?
(You hit me on my sweet spot ^___^,)
I really do still feel bad about Dustin Johnson and the whole sand trap thing. The first take is that the gallery walking area is sand, and that there were rules postings all over the locker rooms by the PGA themselves. I also understand the PGA and USGA rules about grounding the club in a bunker gives an edge to the player, which is why there is a rule in the first place. Whistling Straits was in interesting course, like a combination of Pebble Beach and St. Andrews; cliffs and sand. Initially, everyone was outraged at the ruling. Christina Kim on her Twitter proclaimed that if a fan spilled a water bottle on the course that it would be a water hazard. However, rules are rules. It was a good thing Dustin did not make the last putt to outright "win" the PGA Championship, only to fork it over a few minutes later. Instead, he just didn't participate in the playoff (Go Bubba Watson!). For everything Dustin had to go through during the Majors this year (US Open and the PGA), he's now my sentimental favorite next year at Augusta.

As for the Ryder Cup, Corey Pavin had a hell of a time deciding whether to let Tiger Woods in the US team or not. Tiger being in the team is merely a publicity stunt as Tiger's game isn't what it used to be (and add the fact that EA Sports' Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 includes the Ryder Cup....). Fortunately, this may be the thing Tiger needs, to have the feeling of winning, albeit as a team, but at least he's not in danger of missing a cut....again.

Look at the European roster. 2 major winners: Kaymer and McDowell. In their respective majors, there were pretty consistent throughout the weekend while everyone around them had faults. Same with Lee Westwood at Augusta though no one could catch Mickelson that day. Because of the European players' consistency, they're my pick to win the Ryder Cup. The US has too many distracting question marks (Tiger Woods? Rickie Fowler?).

Now if the European Ryder Cup team includes South African players....they'd be a lock. But South Africa isn't in Europe :D

I'd love to watch the Frys.com Open or CVS/pharmacy Challenge this year, but I have no money.

N.E.R.V.agent220

Dustin Johnson is the next Phil/Tiger and I am looking forward to his blossoming of a top rated golfer in the world.

Let's just hope Tiger does not go into one of his slumps not only he is letting his team down but also our country.

I like your style Otakuya.

@ that goes for any sports otakus in the forums. "Have A Take And Troll" 

otakuya

Quote from: N.E.R.V.agent220 on September 23, 2010, 08:12:32 AM
Dustin Johnson is the next Phil/Tiger and I am looking forward to his blossoming of a top rated golfer in the world.
Some say that Anthony Kim is the next Phil/Tiger, while others (like Corey Pavin) say Rickie Fowler is; too bad for AK this year though. I do like the youth in the PGA and Euro tours, but I root for the established names like Padrig Harrington and Ernie Els, and who could forget Tom Watson at last years Open Championship (I don't like calling it "the British Open"). As for the future of golf, let me get back to you when Q-School starts.

Quote from: N.E.R.V.agent220 on September 23, 2010, 08:12:32 AMI like your style Otakuya.
@ that goes for any sports otakus in the forums. "Have A Take And Troll"
There's not actually a lot of sports buffs here. It's a forum about an anime convention ;D ;D! However, there are a bunch of Giants, Warriors, and Sharks fans around here, just not exactly posting about it.