What can I do to get discounts?

Started by momo193, November 13, 2010, 05:18:27 PM

momo193

I'm a student with a REALLY really tight budget. (I know most of you are too)
It will be my first time attending fanime and I did not expect that it will be somewhat expensive.
yes, pre-reg is out and the price is "low"/reasonable... but since some people can't afford that much like me with the cost of costumes and possible expenses on the day of the event combined, what can I do to get discounts?
I'm willing to help or work during fanime.

Mew

You can volunteer or staff to have your badge partially or fully covered, but because you are reimbursed AFTER the con (except if you are staff), you would still have to shell out the pre-reg money before hand.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

momo193

:D! someone replied!
Quote from: GokuMew2 on November 13, 2010, 06:06:59 PM
You can volunteer or staff to have your badge partially or fully covered, but because you are reimbursed AFTER the con (except if you are staff), you would still have to shell out the pre-reg money before hand.
Oh yes yes that's great, Thank you very much!
I have been looking throughout the forum on how to be a volunteer or a staff but I couldn't find one. :(
do you know how to apply?

momo193

Quote from: momo193 on November 13, 2010, 06:53:59 PM
:D! someone replied!
Quote from: GokuMew2 on November 13, 2010, 06:06:59 PM
Oh yes yes that's great, Thank you very much!
I have been looking throughout the forum on how to be a volunteer or a staff but I couldn't find one. :(
do you know how to apply?

nvm. I found stuff
volunteer:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,14131.0.html
staff:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,14288.0.html

PyronIkari

Quote from: momo193 on November 13, 2010, 05:18:27 PM
It will be my first time attending fanime and I did not expect that it will be somewhat expensive.
yes, pre-reg is out and the price is "low"/reasonable... but since some people can't afford that much like me with the cost of costumes and possible expenses on the day of the event combined, what can I do to get discounts?

Not that I don't encourage going, but if your budget is that tight... why are you buying costumes? You don't need to be  in a costume to attend fanime, and although it *may* make the experience better(though in some cases worse) if money is that much of an issue, I suggest skipping out on it.

As was said, staff/volunteering are ways to lower the cost of registration, but if money is that tight, how are you going to afford food/water/etc. Those things are more important than wearing a costume, or even attending the con itself.

Runewitt

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 24, 2010, 12:54:46 PM
Quote from: momo193 on November 13, 2010, 05:18:27 PM

Not that I don't encourage going, but if your budget is that tight... why are you buying costumes? You don't need to be  in a costume to attend fanime, and although it *may* make the experience better(though in some cases worse) if money is that much of an issue, I suggest skipping out on it.

As was said, staff/volunteering are ways to lower the cost of registration, but if money is that tight, how are you going to afford food/water/etc. Those things are more important than wearing a costume, or even attending the con itself.
i.. i agree with Pyron... If you already know that you are going to be on a tight budget, you need to realize that fanime should not be a priority, especially if you think you need to buy costumes. if you were planning on going multiple days, think about the cost of transortation/hotel..
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.