Advice for selling at the Artists' Alley

Started by Rcsi1, January 11, 2011, 12:11:33 AM

Rcsi1

I'm a n00b all this but I plan on selling some of my art at the Artists' Alley within the next few years. I wanted some advice as to how the best way to go about it. What types of things sell best at cons? What would be the best way to price the things I'm selling, etc. My wares include:

DIY Crafts: Mini tophats, lolita headbands, studded wristbands, etc.
Art: Prints, keychains, bookmarks, stickers, commissions, etc. (original and fan art)
Comics: Doujinshi and miscellaneous zines (original and fan art)

I'd really appreciate the help.
PASTAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cosplay plans for Fanime:

Character CD!France (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Military!Canada (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)

Hakoshi

I sold last year at the con. And artist alley was a blast, I would say that the main anime's sells. Such as Naruto, Pokemon, Hetalia ect. Just do some research. Also if your going to sell prints, make them professional big prints.

geekyglamorous

I found this guide super helpful: http://www.projectbluerose.com/tutorials/anime-convention-artist-alley-survival-guide/

Also, you might want to look at items on the website, Etsy.com. This might give you an idea of what to price your items at. Make sure you don't cut yourself short by charging too little.
☆☆Mandie A.K.A. Geeky Glamorous☆☆
http://www.geekyglamorous.com

WolfChild

Hello, this year will be my first year attending Fanime and my first time having a table in the Artist Alley at any con. I'll be selling anime inspired bags, backpacks, purses, and wallets.  I was wondering if anyone has any tips or wants to share they're Artist Alley expeirence. What kind of stuff did you sell? How well did it go? What are some things you've learned from your expeirence? What would you suggest to someone who's never sold at a con before?

Thanks!

SukebeStudios

I'm selling stuff too for the first time as well. I'll be selling fanart, bookmarks, canvas tote bags, and refrigerator magnets. Also, I'll be taking commissions.

Elimeno

get fast with your commissions, if you're interested in money thats where its at the faster you can pump those out (with quality) the more money you can get.
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

blueyoshimenace

Looks like a lot of us here are going to be selling for the first time. This is my 6th year at Fanime and my first table. I just found out that I'm one of the winners of the Yen Press Talent Search, so I'm hoping that'll bring in some customers. But I'm wondering how many prints I should make for my first year since I'm not popular.

Dev Art:http://blueyoshimenace.deviantart.com/

Please Message me if you want a commission before Fanime

Zully

A "first timer" related question. I've been to fanime a few times before, but this'll be my first booth run. :) I'm working on coordinating my table layout and had a kind of silly question. For those of you who've done table covers before, about how much fabric did you end up needing to get to cover it?

solipoo

haha! looks like a LOT of us are first timers!
/high5

blue i think you should print around 5-10 copies of each print, depending on how popular you think it will be. it's hard to guess, but in case you do run out really quickly on the 1st or 2nd day, locate a place where you can quickly make some more copies. XD if you have friends who have AA'd before, ask them, since i'm totally new too and AHHH scared i won't sell anything XD

zully, the table measurements are given in the FAQ, and i'd imagine that you would need ~3 feet extra on each side in order to make the cloth touch the floor. but i'm not 100% sure, since this is my first time too. is it a good idea to get a tablecloth?

what are some ways to make your table stand out more? i can't afford PVC pipes (and i don't have enough prints to hang on them anyways LOL). i have some buttons though. how should i go about displaying my 2 or 3 prints and buttons? XD

Chandra

This is going to be my first time too (if I get approved *Crosses fingers*) to doing something like this and I want to make a great impression! So last year I've saw some people using some kind of clamp with a rod and builing this frame with piping. One person told me they bought it at Home Depot but I haven't had any luck finding such a thing. It's a great way to get your art up high to draw attention. Can anyone "HELP" me in finding what I'm searching for? The name of it or a place where to buy it.

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: Chandra on April 09, 2011, 02:47:11 PM
This is going to be my first time too (if I get approved *Crosses fingers*) to doing something like this and I want to make a great impression! So last year I've saw some people using some kind of clamp with a rod and builing this frame with piping. One person told me they bought it at Home Depot but I haven't had any luck finding such a thing. It's a great way to get your art up high to draw attention. Can anyone "HELP" me in finding what I'm searching for? The name of it or a place where to buy it.

Most people I know (myself included) uses these. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100011109/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 :) I'm not exactly sure about the size (mini or regular? or if you want 4.5 inch or 6 inch but if I remember correctly, the mini size fits well into 1" piping.) Piping and connectors (for the frame's corners) can be easily found at home depot for cheap.
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011