WOW...so the hotels filled up WAY too fast. 0_0 -edit: Crown Plaza?

Started by CosplayDevotee, January 14, 2011, 09:30:00 PM

Rin_chan

Has anyone here stayed at the Ramada? I'm wondering what it's like there and if they do for sure have microwaves and mini fridges in the room like the room features says.

EDIT: Daaaaaaaang, Marriott and Hilton are already sold out O.O I swear there were still spaces left this morning. Guess it was smart to book a room early, there going way faster then last year. Guess the increasing number of attendees every year is gonna mean having to book sooner every year.

HunterZero

I think the issue is three-fold:

1. Hotel Reservations came online later than normal
2. Many people reserve rooms without having roommates and THEN start looking for someone else to share the room
3. FanimeCon is huge

Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Rin_chan

Quote from: HunterZero on January 18, 2011, 05:37:58 PM

2. Many people reserve rooms without having roommates and THEN start looking for someone else to share the room
3. FanimeCon is huge

I also heard that the exact date and time of the hotel page opening isn't usually announced either.

Xanreo

I believe this is the first year that Fanime announced hotel-reserves on Twitter, Facebook, and the forums so everybody who wanted to reserve a room knew when to be online.

Last year, Fanime was more sneaky and only announced it on the forums.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Knightfire

Quote from: HunterZero on January 18, 2011, 05:37:58 PM

3. FanimeCon is huge

Bolded one in particular. I'm expecting those who booked room without roomates might cancel said rooms by the time end of April comes if they couldn't fill up the rooms.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Somebody

Gosh, I didn't even think about all this! @_@' I'm hoping my group can find a reasonable place to stay! Having not gone as attendees to Fanime, we certainly weren't prepared when the announcements were made. OTL
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

CosplayDevotee

I called fanime housing the very night it opened, but since it was a weekend day they weren't open. I then called Monday morning but since it was Martin Luther, they were closed. I then called at 6am the next morning and by then they said absolutely everything in both the hilton and marriot were taken. I asked about suites but they said there was no such thing. I don't understand how some people even in this forum were able to book suites at any hotel since the woman who spoke to me said there were none other than junior suites at the marriot. I'm just a little upset that I was there the moment the hotels opened, but waited to learn anything about the suites.

:-\ In any case, I was able to get a room at the Crown Plaza thursday to monday morning. Anyone hear any negatives about the hotel? I never hear anything about this hotel, which may be good or bad. I took whatever I could that was close enough to the convention center.

tenton

I was at the Crowne Plaza last year; seemed fine to me. Nice to just be able to roll out of bed and cross the street and poof! the convention center is there.

Kyra_Maverick

I've stayed at the Crown a few times and it's always been enjoyable. It's just right across the street, there aren't nearly as many people to crowd the halls and hold up the elevator. Beds are comfy and rooms are roomy. I haven't been since they renovated a few years ago, but unless I can get in on Thursday at the Hilton I'll be staying at the Crown again too.

GodivaSyndrome

Personally, I love Crowne Plaza to death. My group has been staying there for the past 3 years or so and we have never had an issue. The beds are comfy and the rooms are decently sized. The elevators are rarely if ever packed and noisy neighbors have always been a non-issue. The staff has always been very helpful and respectful, even when we are looking crazy in full cosplay. I would even go so far as to say that I like it much better than the Hilton (which is where I stayed my second Fanime).

CosplayDevotee

Quote from: GodivaSyndrome on January 19, 2011, 01:32:56 PM
Personally, I love Crowne Plaza to death. My group has been staying there for the past 3 years or so and we have never had an issue. The beds are comfy and the rooms are decently sized. The elevators are rarely if ever packed and noisy neighbors have always been a non-issue. The staff has always been very helpful and respectful, even when we are looking crazy in full cosplay. I would even go so far as to say that I like it much better than the Hilton (which is where I stayed my second Fanime).
Well that's a relief. ^_^ Do you happen to know if they charge for fridges? I heard from someone else that you can request one, but not if they charge you for it which would make sense.

GodivaSyndrome

Quote from: Affliction on January 19, 2011, 08:50:53 PM
Well that's a relief. ^_^ Do you happen to know if they charge for fridges? I heard from someone else that you can request one, but not if they charge you for it which would make sense.
Unfortunately, that I do not know (we have always just brought a cooler like you would when you're camping!). I would guess that you can request one and I have never heard of there being an extra cost. Your best bet would be to call them up and ask, because policies do change. Sorry I couldn't help and good luck! ^^;;

CosplayDevotee

Quote from: GodivaSyndrome on January 19, 2011, 09:32:30 PM
Quote from: Affliction on January 19, 2011, 08:50:53 PM
Unfortunately, that I do not know (we have always just brought a cooler like you would when you're camping!). I would guess that you can request one and I have never heard of there being an extra cost. Your best bet would be to call them up and ask, because policies do change. Sorry I couldn't help and good luck! ^^;;

Called. Turns out they do provide them upon check in. Because the Fanime Housing phone number is down after 6pm, I called the actual Crown Plaza. The man on the phone couldn't really tel lme whether or not the fridge would cost me anything because he wasn't sure how the CMR Housing worked. Totally understandable. I'll just call again closer to fanime and if there is a problem, I will follow your example of bringing a cooler. I just wanted to bring bottled water cuz its so expensive. lol

geekyglamorous

A little late to the party here but I wanted to say I really enjoyed staying at the Crowne Plaza last year. We had a super spacious room with two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. They have a computer in a lobby with free internet access and a microwave you can use in the hotel bar that remains open after the bar has closed. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to book here for this year. We'll be at the Fairmont instead.
☆☆Mandie A.K.A. Geeky Glamorous☆☆
http://www.geekyglamorous.com

Cosplay Circus

My group is staying at the Fairmont as well :)

We had looked into booking rooms around December and there were a few rooms open at the Hilton and Marriot from what I saw, though I was just looking from the hotel site and not Fanime's hotel listings. Last I checked a few weeks ago they were gone, but I'd imagine rooms will slowly start to appear open again as people cancel their reservation.
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

SweetNiar

Quote from: Wolftale on February 18, 2011, 06:19:33 PM

We had looked into booking rooms around December and there were a few rooms open at the Hilton and Marriot from what I saw, though I was just looking from the hotel site and not Fanime's hotel listings. Last I checked a few weeks ago they were gone, but I'd imagine rooms will slowly start to appear open again as people cancel their reservation.

Thats a 10-4 :P I got a one bed room at the Hilton after being on the waitlist a few days ago ^_^

Cosplay Circus

Quote from: SweetNiar on February 18, 2011, 08:36:49 PM
Quote from: Wolftale on February 18, 2011, 06:19:33 PM

Thats a 10-4 :P I got a one bed room at the Hilton after being on the waitlist a few days ago ^_^

Grats :)
- Elizabeth (Seven Deadly Sins)
- Morrigan (Dragon Age)
- Panty (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)

weirderraindrop

Quote from: Affliction on January 14, 2011, 09:30:00 PM
Again WOW, I managed to get a room for four at the Crown Plaza, but I was wondering if there were more rooms that aren't listed on the fanime website? Come Monday, if I call are there more rooms saved for phone call reservations still under the Fanime deal? I would prefer the Marriot since I like being connected to the convention center.

Edit: I was hoping someone could give me a review on the Crown Plaza?

To answer your question, though it's like four months late. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza a few years back. It's a really nice hotel, the elevators weren't so horribly crammed like the Marriott and Hilton (then again, since the hotels got flooded this year with people it will probably be the same as the others). We would be staying there again if we didn't prefer being connected to the convention center. :D