Raise Money for Japan

Started by Dragon Ninja, March 11, 2011, 10:41:34 AM

cutiebunny

It would be nice if the Charity Auction could do both a US charity and a Japanese charity. I'd love to see more artwork available for sale from the artists up for grabs, and I'm sure they'd be happy knowing that they'd be helping out Japan with their donations.

Sunara Ishi

On the slightly more expensive side, we could do special t-shirt sales. Or tote bags, etc.

And maybe along with the money raising aspect, we could have a donation box for items and any cards, art, etc. if people want to express their hopes & well-wishes.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

KyraEnsui

I know that there are fandoms are joining in the helping of raising donations to help out. I know there's a community on LJ are doing a huge garage sale fundraiser that started out as a single fandom like Arashi and it grew to have all fandoms come together as one.

There is even a direct donation to Japanese Red Cross on Google too. I don't mind to whatever amount I sold at Swap Meet, I'll donate it all to it.

AntiVonn

I know it is difficult to run a charity auction every day so this may not be feasible but something that could raise money without too much cost to Fanime would be auctioning off front row tickets to Fanime events (masquerade or concerts). Or selling "fast pass" tickets to the head of the Maid Cafe or registration lines.

PyronIkari

Quote from: AntiVonn on March 17, 2011, 12:47:11 PM
I know it is difficult to run a charity auction every day so this may not be feasible but something that could raise money without too much cost to Fanime would be auctioning off front row tickets to Fanime events (masquerade or concerts). Or selling "fast pass" tickets to the head of the Maid Cafe or registration lines.

I was actually thinking about the fast pass thing for the Maid Cafe, but I wanted to put in a lot of thought into it before I propsed it. Reason being, price of it HAS to be reasonable. But if the price of it is too low, then we sell a lot of them, and they become useless since people have to wait in fast pass line, which makes things exactly the same. So, i'm trying to work it out before I official propose something like that(if it's even plausible).

Avairrianna

I like the blood donation idea. I seem to remember a blood drive at AnimeExpo in like 2007 that I really wanted to help but was deferred for a year.

Maybe a local blood mobile (Does San Jose have one? We have a few in Bakersfield) could set up in front or in back of the convention center and we could donate to the red cross Japanese relief fund?
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Junon

Perhaps Fanime can work with the Dealers and Artists that make sales to allow them to help collect donation money. I think if donating is a lot more accessible to people with some disposable income, they may be inclined to help donate.

Also perhaps offering a kind of special badge (something unique and different from normal badges) that includes the price of a donation on top of normal costs may get some to buy it, if not to have that special edition badge that says "I Donated Foo!".

And, maybe it would be possible to use one of the convention days (say Saturday Afternoon) to run a donation drive outside in the courtyard area in front of the convention for a few hours, have some attendees help raise awareness on this donation to get both attendees and passerby's to donate.

otakuya

Courtesy bump, because I'd like to know what the con is going to do to help the Japan relief and maybe post it on the main website.

Charity auciton? Blood/donation drives?

Moonblossom

I suggested a charity auction on the Fanime facebook page a while back, so I would totally be in favour of that.

There's also simpler things like just having collection boxes for the Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders or something in easily accessible locations (next to Stage Zero, exit to the dealer room so people can unload their loose change, etc)