2015 Old School Cosplay Gathering 4/19

Started by BSaphire, August 08, 2011, 09:29:23 AM

AnimefanJJ

UPDATE!!!!! I will be there day zero as my clone self. So I can't wait.
Banned for breaking promises - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php?topic=17617

Dany

Hola B!

Slight change in our cosplay plans, after reviewing logistics and current posties:

Kyouske and Madoka will be for Thursday, as soon as we're out of the reg line, so we might be running in a wee bit late. The +1 is my hubby, Darieum (not on the forum).

For Friday, we're planning on Captain Harlock and Miime, so we're ready to run with the Matsumoto gathering right afterwards.

Whee! Is it Fanime yet? No? Good, I got stuff to finish!
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Sunara Ishi

I'll try to make the Thursday/ Day Zero meet-up as well.

Btw, my Miyu is the manga version. Not sure if it really matters but it might to some. Just giving you a heads up.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Yuutousei

I have... no idea if I'll be at Fanime by 6 but I might come as Subaru from Tokyo Babylon (manga/anime). Possibly even come by Thursday when I pick up my badge.
SELLING!
Check out my current Cosplays, Panels & Plans!

Nemuren

I'll try to make it to the Thursday one as Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop).

EDIT: Eh, looks like I have to go into work on that Thursday after all. I might still wear Jet that evening, but I doubt I can make the gathering.  :-\

BunofGovt

Sorry, B -

My cosplaying plans have changed, I don't think I'll be wearing anything pre-2001, but I'll try to come by to take pics!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Michi

Oh wow, this makes me feel old...

Almost everything I'm bringing to this con save for 2 costumes is from pre-2001, but this gathering might conflict with my plans. ;w; We'll see when the con gets closer!

Quote from: Dany on February 28, 2012, 08:10:11 AM
Kyouske and Madoka will be for Thursday, as soon as we're out of the reg line, so we might be running in a wee bit late. The +1 is my hubby, Darieum (not on the forum).

omg I love you, I must find you guys for photos! Kimagure Orange Road is probably my favorite manga ever.
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

manik_semiramis

I was planning a Princess Serenity cosplay, but I might wander to this gathering as Hameln, from the Violinist of Hameln.  :3  That cosplay...brings back some fond, fond memories.

Or not.  XD  But I really do wanna make Hameln
-Is there life before coffee? There is NO life before coffee. There is life AFTER coffee!

-Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation.

manik_semiramis

Actually, since Paradise Kiss startedin 1999, but didn't end til 2003, does it count?  Because I really, really want to make Yukari's Grand Prix dress
-Is there life before coffee? There is NO life before coffee. There is life AFTER coffee!

-Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation.

TifaIA

Quote from: Seraphii on February 02, 2012, 07:43:45 PM
I'll be pulling off Aisha Clan-Clan from Outlaw Star (1998) on Friday. \o/ I love seeing cosplayers showing love for the older shows. ♥

Knowing that someone for OS will be there I may debut my Hot Ice Hilda a week earlier then intended. Fingers crossed!

Nina Star 9

As I was taking a look at my cosplay plans (which have changed a bit since I first posted in this thread! If I do Slayers it will be Martina, and I'm leaving my Chrono Trigger cosplay at home), I realized that I'm planning on going as Maj. Kusanagi Friday evening (it has to be evening because I'm hopefully adding EL wire to the costume -- wish me luck!!), which is when this gathering is. Thankfully, the character is from the 80s, so I should be good there, though I have no idea when the outfit I'm doing is from. Is that alright? I know that most people associate her with Stand Alone Complex, from the early-mid 2000s, but I started my GitS fandom with the manga, darnit! I can always pull out my cosplay of her actually from the manga, it's very late 80s, but my new one is much cooler and much more recognizable...

If not, I'll maybe stay in my Martina cosplay or pull out something I'm planning for Saturday, like Lady Blackpearl (Legend of Mana) or Ulala (Space Channel 5), since 4/6 of my cosplays this year seem to qualify.

Michi

Looks like I'm wearing Asuka at 5 pm Friday for an Evangelion group, so I might be able to make this unless 6 pm is when I need to be at Swap Meet. :)
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

Dany

Quote from: Michi on March 16, 2012, 02:46:16 PM
Quote from: Dany on February 28, 2012, 08:10:11 AM

omg I love you, I must find you guys for photos! Kimagure Orange Road is probably my favorite manga ever.

LOL, just tumbled across this. KOR is one of our favorites too (because we are older and my husband especially was raised on anime thanks to Italian TV), though we haven't quite pushed through the manga yet. That being said, the anime ain't short :D

Hopefully we look OK...I wasn't happy with how I looked last year (it was just my regular clothes with a black wig and a yellow ABCB Cafe apron) but I was also tired and having some makeup issues. We'll see if I can't fix that for this year a bit!
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Katsumiyo

I had a quick question regarding the definition of "Old School"...
Do fighting games count? What about games that have had a remake since 2000? I have a character from a 1989 fighter I'd like to make if I have time. Her original series stopped at around 1992, but she had a few appearances in other compilation games. Does a character within those parameters still count as old-school, or do remakes and appearances disqualify them?

PuniPuniShosa

Quote from: Katsumiyo on April 17, 2012, 02:07:25 AM
Do fighting games count? What about games that have had a remake since 2000? I have a character from a 1989 fighter I'd like to make if I have time. Her original series stopped at around 1992, but she had a few appearances in other compilation games. Does a character within those parameters still count as old-school, or do remakes and appearances disqualify them?

I suppose it depends on the character and a consensus.

BSaphire

Quote from: Katsumiyo on April 17, 2012, 02:07:25 AM
Of course fighting games count :) The character has to have appeared in the version you are cosplaying pre 2001. I know that Mature didn't get a make over into her pants suit until just a few years ago, but I could ware her if need be... (mabe Friday) but I wanted to take it back and I really enjoyed Larva from Vampire Princess Miyu so I doing him instead *Yeah for crossplay*
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Nina Star 9

So the exact version that we are cosplaying has to be pre-2001, not just the character itself?

Guess I'll have to do some research on when my cosplay first appeared, especially considering that I don't think she ever actually wears it in the series! (Though there is manga-styled official artwork, anime-styled official artwork [which would be post-2001], the cover of volume 1.5 of the manga [again, I think post-2001?], and a statue [likely post-2001], so it's up to that manga-styled offcial artwork and if I can find a date for it!)

BSaphire

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 17, 2012, 09:22:15 AM
So the exact version that we are cosplaying has to be pre-2001, not just the character itself?

Guess I'll have to do some research on when my cosplay first appeared, especially considering that I don't think she ever actually wears it in the series! (Though there is manga-styled official artwork, anime-styled official artwork [which would be post-2001], the cover of volume 1.5 of the manga [again, I think post-2001?], and a statue [likely post-2001], so it's up to that manga-styled offcial artwork and if I can find a date for it!)
Character appearance needs to be pre 2001 and I would prefer to have the costume portion pre 2001 also. It is part of what sets "oldschool" apart.
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

I updated the lists!
@ Nina Star 9: I sure hope you can make it! just let me know what you come up with.

If there are any changes let me know please :)

as for me... Still bringing Larva but I wasn't able to get the syth done... yet.. one day I WILL!
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Nina Star 9

Okay, thanks for the clarification!

I'm planning on wearing my Maj. Kusanagi (Hard Disc variant) Friday evening, so that's what I was hoping to wear to the gathering. I realize that I'm probably the only person who thinks of her as an old-school character, though, since I started with the (1980s) manga and not the anime on Adult Swim (though plenty of people know the 1990s movie, I'd hope, but I'm doubting even that because at the two cons I wore my manga-version Maj. Kusanagi at last year, which is very similar to an outfit she wears in the movie, the only two people to recognize me were Richard Epcar and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, haha -- I would have been quite dissapointed if they didn't get it!). I'm not sure how appropriate it would be simply because of that. (Plus, I'm considering entering the karaoke contest, which is at the same time)

So put me down as a Maybe (but at this point likely), with Maj. Kusanagi as my costume. If I'm not at the gathering in that costume and you see someone at the karaoke contest wearing the same costume or if an Ulala from Space Channel 5 shows up at the gathering, though, be sure to say hello. :D (I figure that of the old-school costumes I'm bringing, Ulala would get a better reception than my obscure Legend of Mana character if I decide to switch out The Major for someone a little more appropriate!)