Questions about driving to and from Fanime

Started by ikowashite, February 11, 2012, 05:50:03 PM

ikowashite

I was wondering if any of you have had experience in driving to and from Fanime each day, rather than staying in a hotel/motel? I've driven to and from San Jose a couple of times (approximately 1.5 hrs), so I know what traffic's like, but how is parking? Does parking near the Convention Center fill up quickly, or is it okay if I arrive by a certain time, and at what time? Also, what time (not day) does pass pickup typically start/what time does Fanime typically start per day/what time does Fanime typically end per day? (I know the actual time for this year hasn't been posted yet, but I just wanted a rough estimate based on last year/the previous years.)

Mango Bunny

Pass pickup usually starts at 8ish in the morning I believe. Fanime itself is 24 hours a day. Closing ceremonies are in the late afternoon monday.

ikowashite

Quote from: Mango Bunny on February 11, 2012, 07:23:08 PM
Pass pickup usually starts at 8ish in the morning I believe. Fanime itself is 24 hours a day. Closing ceremonies are in the late afternoon monday.

Thank you! :3

echoshadow

The traffic is really not that bad, it flowed well, but their is a lot of cars on the road but its no bumper to bumper snail pace.

Parking is really not a problem, there are hand full of parking structures/lots only a couple of blocks away.
Usually the parking at the C.C. is full by noon, but there are soo many in and out's that if you wait 10 mins you'll find a spot. I been lucky all my 3 years of going to Fanime I parked at the C.C. parking lot.

Like Mango Bunny said Fanime is 24 hour event. But by 6-7ish the crowds fade away and that's when most people are heading back home/rooms.
I been there till around 9pm by that time only the people that stayed in the near by hotels are still partying it up.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Freight

Can I ask a question slightly off topic?

Why drive like this?  Gas isn't cheap and an hour and a have drive over 3 days in moderate traffic can cost a bit.  Why not stay in a hotel?  You're paying parking either way, and that gas money can be used toward your room share.  Then you're not running like crazy with no place to roost and recharge the batteries, not to mention visit any of the late night events.

echoshadow

Great question.
But its still cheaper. Gas over 3 days is less than $30, unless you drive a truck. But for a typical car its around that much.
Parking can be $5-7 a day, so around $15-20 for 3 days. So total around $50-60 for about 3 days.

Now consider now much the average room goes for, around $80-100 per night. Well no one will consider renting a room alone for the entire con, unless you have a lot of money.
Now like many people, you share a room but that's still around $80-100 total for the entire con. So in a way driving still comes out cheaper.

But I do understand you, it is a lot better to enjoy the con if you are there for the whole 4 days. That's why you have to save up for Fanime.

Mango Bunny

I would like to add that someone said stuff starts cooling down at 8 or so... Not really true. Some of the big events run late, like concerts and the masquerade.

RoseLove19

Quote from: Mango Bunny on February 12, 2012, 09:41:21 PM
I would like to add that someone said stuff starts cooling down at 8 or so... Not really true. Some of the big events run late, like concerts and the masquerade.

I totally agree. I've been known to stay at the con till 1 or even 2 in the morning just because really. There are always people up and around. There are always showings and even some cosplay gatherings that start around or on midnight and those are always interesting.

Also there are some cheap hotels. I stayed at one a few years ago, that wasn't part of the con, for like $75 a night. Yeah it was a mile away but you can park by the hilton hotel in the mornings and wha
tnot. 

Freight

Quote from: echoshadow on February 12, 2012, 08:19:39 PM
Great question.
But its still cheaper. Gas over 3 days is less than $30, unless you drive a truck. But for a typical car its around that much.
Parking can be $5-7 a day, so around $15-20 for 3 days. So total around $50-60 for about 3 days.

Now consider now much the average room goes for, around $80-100 per night. Well no one will consider renting a room alone for the entire con, unless you have a lot of money.
Now like many people, you share a room but that's still around $80-100 total for the entire con. So in a way driving still comes out cheaper.

But I do understand you, it is a lot better to enjoy the con if you are there for the whole 4 days. That's why you have to save up for Fanime.

Yeah, I have rooms.  It wasn't a sales pitch.  I just have never really considered driving to and from a convention because I think staying at the hotel and losing yourself in a convention atmosphere for a few days is central to the experience.

But to each their own.  Either way, have a fun time!

Mango Bunny

Quote from: RoseLove19 on February 12, 2012, 10:08:45 PM
Quote from: Mango Bunny on February 12, 2012, 09:41:21 PM

I totally agree. I've been known to stay at the con till 1 or even 2 in the morning just because really. There are always people up and around. There are always showings and even some cosplay gatherings that start around or on midnight and those are always interesting.

Also there are some cheap hotels. I stayed at one a few years ago, that wasn't part of the con, for like $75 a night. Yeah it was a mile away but you can park by the hilton hotel in the mornings and wha
tnot. 

I'm usually up most of the night checking out the late night panels, video rooms, and what have you. I think it's a pretty cool atmosphere in the wee morning hours. At 3 am most people have gone to bed, so everyone is just hanging out in huge groups it seems.

ikowashite

Quote from: Freight on February 12, 2012, 07:55:24 PM
Can I ask a question slightly off topic?

Why drive like this?  Gas isn't cheap and an hour and a have drive over 3 days in moderate traffic can cost a bit.  Why not stay in a hotel?  You're paying parking either way, and that gas money can be used toward your room share.  Then you're not running like crazy with no place to roost and recharge the batteries, not to mention visit any of the late night events.

I'm not sure if my friend is going with me or not, so room share is pretty much out of the question at this point. As for gas, I drive a hybrid, so it really doesn't cost much. It's less than $40 total. I've looked at hotels within a mile, but I'm really picky with where I stay, and some of them sounded pretty shady. :\

Scratching all of that. I actually was able to book a room for two nights/three days through this site. :3 I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep the reservation or not, because it really depends if one of my friends is going to go with me and/or if my other friend (who's definitely going) will be staying with me.

ikowashite

Quote from: echoshadow on February 12, 2012, 01:03:45 AM
The traffic is really not that bad, it flowed well, but their is a lot of cars on the road but its no bumper to bumper snail pace.

Parking is really not a problem, there are hand full of parking structures/lots only a couple of blocks away.
Usually the parking at the C.C. is full by noon, but there are soo many in and out's that if you wait 10 mins you'll find a spot. I been lucky all my 3 years of going to Fanime I parked at the C.C. parking lot.

Like Mango Bunny said Fanime is 24 hour event. But by 6-7ish the crowds fade away and that's when most people are heading back home/rooms.
I been there till around 9pm by that time only the people that stayed in the near by hotels are still partying it up.

Thanks. :3

Tracykins

May I ask a question about parking? :)

I'm coming on Friday, and I'll probably be arriving early in the morning (6-7am) to buy a pass for the day. I thought I read on the website that the C.C. parking garage does not have in/out privileges? Is this true? If so, where are some other places I can park that do have in/out privileges all day?

Thanks for the help! :D

Barnes

Here's a website for you: you should be able to find something for your needs.

http://www.sjdowntownparking.com/
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

TC X0 Lt 0X

From experience commuting to Downtown for work, I know Friday at the very least will have quite a bit of Traffic, at least until 830-900am

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Makise09

I hope this isn't to off topic, but does anyone know the hours the shuttles from the Double Tree and Radisson run? Wondering if my friends will need to make plans to drive back and forth all day since they can't physically make the walk.

M

Quote from: Makise09 on February 21, 2012, 06:02:52 PM
I hope this isn't to off topic, but does anyone know the hours the shuttles from the Double Tree and Radisson run? Wondering if my friends will need to make plans to drive back and forth all day since they can't physically make the walk.
(Forewarning: this post contains information that may not be finalized and is definitely subject to change)

We are planning to post it as soon as we receive that information, but it might end up being something like multiple shuttles and the wait should be close to (or less, hopefully!) 10-15m.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

echoshadow

Quote from: Tracykins on February 17, 2012, 01:42:43 PM
May I ask a question about parking? :)

I'm coming on Friday, and I'll probably be arriving early in the morning (6-7am) to buy a pass for the day. I thought I read on the website that the C.C. parking garage does not have in/out privileges? Is this true? If so, where are some other places I can park that do have in/out privileges all day?

Thanks for the help! :D
There is no in/outs at the c.c. paking garage, only if you are a guest staying in the Marriort or Hiltion hotels.
I'm also pretty certain most garages in that area don't allow in/outs.
But it is not that bad, you can always find parking within a block or two.

Tracykins

Quote from: echoshadow on February 22, 2012, 09:13:57 PM
There is no in/outs at the c.c. paking garage, only if you are a guest staying in the Marriort or Hiltion hotels.
I'm also pretty certain most garages in that area don't allow in/outs.
But it is not that bad, you can always find parking within a block or two.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! We'll find somewhere else. Good thing I'll be wearing comfy shoes :D