What kind of bag is best to carry during the con?

Started by raspberryblue, April 06, 2012, 09:50:57 PM

raspberryblue

Backpack, handbag, messenger bag, cross body, etc. No bag is not optional for me because I have a lot of junk to carry around lol  :P

Would I be putting my bag down a lot during the con? Or would it just stay on me for a while?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

BunofGovt

I switch between a backpack and a bag with a strap that I sling across my body, depending on what I'm doing or cosplaying as that day.  If in the dealer room or swap meet where I expect to be getting manga or large items, I'd use a bag big enough to carry my expected purchases.  I believe San Jose no longer allows plastic bags for sellers, so bringing your own bag will help.  If you're in the dealer room where it's super crowded or you're outside taking pictures, just be cautious about putting your bag down, keep an eye on it. 
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

raspberryblue

Thanks so much for the advice! I guess I'll be sticking all my purchases into my handbag haha  ;D

Gigantor

I generally just carry a messenger bag. Plenty of room for prints from the artist alley and any purchases I usually make. It's a little more convenient to maneuver the crowds with in my experience as well. Bags have a tendency to disappear during the crowds so I would hold onto it unless you're taking a break and can just set it down next to you.

Nina Star 9

I usually carry a tote bag, since it is easiest to put on and remove without distrubing my costumes too much. Plus, it's roomy enough for everything I need. (I would carry something with a cross-body strap, but I know myself pretty well, and I'd forget to take it off most of the time for pictures, so if you are at all like me in that regard, go with something that is easier to remember to remove!)

Though, I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what kind of bag to carryin one of my costumes, since it has armor that prevents me from carrying a bag on my shoulder or draped over my lower arm (like a regular handbag). I don't want to have to carry a bag in my hands all day, but I can't wear something on my arms or shoulders. Any suggestions? I might have to just suck it up and carry my treasure-box purse, since that just stays in my hands and would look cool with the costume, but I don't want to have to do that if I don't have to.

Gigantor

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 06, 2012, 11:20:52 PM
I usually carry a tote bag, since it is easiest to put on and remove without distrubing my costumes too much. Plus, it's roomy enough for everything I need. (I would carry something with a cross-body strap, but I know myself pretty well, and I'd forget to take it off most of the time for pictures, so if you are at all like me in that regard, go with something that is easier to remember to remove!)

Though, I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what kind of bag to carryin one of my costumes, since it has armor that prevents me from carrying a bag on my shoulder or draped over my lower arm (like a regular handbag). I don't want to have to carry a bag in my hands all day, but I can't wear something on my arms or shoulders. Any suggestions? I might have to just suck it up and carry my treasure-box purse, since that just stays in my hands and would look cool with the costume, but I don't want to have to do that if I don't have to.

Not sure about the cosplay armor style but would a belt bag work or detract too much from the costume over all? It might not have a ton of carrying capacity but a leather one might match well with the cosplay and it would carry a majority of what you would need I would think minus purchases.

Nina Star 9

Oh! A reference might have been helpful, huh? It's Lady Eruca from Radiant Historia.

That's an idea. I can always slide it to the back if I have to. I tend to carry a lot of stuff (wallet, touch-up makeup, phone, camera, snacks, bottle of water, safety pins, bobby pins, etc.), but I guess I can always cut down while wearing this particular costume, and I just won't buy anything (the crowded Dealer's Hall would be a bad idea anyway with my long cape and spikes on my armor). Haha, maybe something like a water bottle holster?

BunofGovt

Can you try attaching some small bag (like the water bottle holster you mentioned, but there are some that zip shut at the top as well) to the strap that goes across you/the outfit?  If you check either a place like REI or other outdoors type shop, or a military/camping surplus place, you might find something that will work.  It could be pushed to the back under your cape for pictures.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Gigantor

I agree that if you could find a way to fasten it to the strap that's there in the picture you could just carry it behind you and access it when needed if you could get it rigged up just right. If you did find a belt bag though you could just fasten it a little bit towards your back and then it wouldn't be visible most of the time cause the cape would cover it I think.

Nina Star 9

I actually made a leather belt bag today. I think it will work nicely, and I'll just have to make sure to take trips to the drinking fountain while wearing the costume.

The strap that goes diagonaly across the costume is made of ribbon. In other artwork, you can see that it is a large ribbon sash that ties in a bow at her hips (you can actually see the tails hanging down in this picture), so that isn't as practical for holding things, but her two belts and holster for her sidearm are!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Gigantor

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 08, 2012, 12:46:10 AM
I actually made a leather belt bag today. I think it will work nicely, and I'll just have to make sure to take trips to the drinking fountain while wearing the costume.

The strap that goes diagonaly across the costume is made of ribbon. In other artwork, you can see that it is a large ribbon sash that ties in a bow at her hips (you can actually see the tails hanging down in this picture), so that isn't as practical for holding things, but her two belts and holster for her sidearm are!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Glad you found a good way to work it out!

raspberryblue

Ok so I just read this thread http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,9934.0.html and I'm somewhat worried about getting robbed.

If I brought a more expensive bag (like a brand name bag or the like) will I be more susceptible to being robbed?  ???  I'm not planning on letting my bag down more than 2 feet away from me when I'm out, so I don't think my bag can be stolen even if someone tried..

kookiekween99

Quote from: raspberryblue on April 14, 2012, 09:39:33 PM
Ok so I just read this thread http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,9934.0.html and I'm somewhat worried about getting robbed.

If I brought a more expensive bag (like a brand name bag or the like) will I be more susceptible to being robbed?  ???  I'm not planning on letting my bag down more than 2 feet away from me when I'm out, so I don't think my bag can be stolen even if someone tried..

I would think the problem isn't so much getting the entire bag stolen as much as things taken out of the bag. My advice would be to use a bag with deep pockets that are difficult to open without being noticed. For example, actual buckles rather than magnet snaps or velco. Also, multiple pockets, and spread your cash between the pockets so if one pocket gets picked, you don't lose all your con money. Either that or carry your cash physically on your person.

Random Tip: I'm paranoid, so any time I set my bag down on the floor, I put my leg through the strap so no one can just grap it and run.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Gigantor

I've been going for a long time and I have never personally had anything stolen from me nor have I had any of my friends get anything stolen from them. There is always a bit of risk however a majority of the people that attend the convention are pretty nice people and won't mess around. Usually the biggest risk is from people who wander in who aren't attendees but there are always exceptions. I've seen my fair share of people drop wallets or drop something etc and I've always just picked it up for them and gave it back to them.

I usually wear a messenger bag so I just sling it in front of my body while I am sitting at a panel or anything.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep your bag constantly in your reach and you should be fine.

Nina Star 9

I have also been going for a long time (this will be my 10th Fanime!) and have never had anything stolen nor known anyone who has had something stolen.

If you are worried about it, bags that cross your body or are otherwise attatched and difficult for another person to remove, zippers or buckles instead of open tops and snaps, always keep it in your lap or hooked around your leg or something similar while in a video/panel room, etc. Also, when getting pictures taken, set down your bag between you and the photog so that you can see it (and unless the photog is totally oblivious or using photography as a way to steal people's bags with a helper [which has probably never happened, haha], then the photog can see it, too, and potentially stop a theft).

Personally, I carry a totebag that I hook my badge onto and usually rest my arm over the top of it/have my hand grabbing onto the straps. I carry an over-the-shoulder bag as my everyday purse, and this is how I naturually tend to carry it (partly for protection, since a thief would have to get through my arm to get to the contents, and loosen my grip to grab the whole bag, and partly because it is comfortable) and have never had any issues.

I think that as long as you are careful and keep an eye on your belongings, then you shouldn't have any trouble, either.

TC X0 Lt 0X

If I brought a more expensive bag (like a brand name bag or the like) will I be more susceptible to being robbed?  ???  I'm not planning on letting my bag down more than 2 feet away from me when I'm out, so I don't think my bag can be stolen even if someone tried..

Here is the thing:
If you are not being careful and aware of your property and surroundings, there is always a chance someone will attempt to steal your property, especially in highly populated areas. If someone willing to steal is around and sees an item unattended, more likely then not they will attempt it, and have a reasonable chance to succeed as well.
This has nothing to do with the Con itself. The Con is highly populated and there are a lot of opportunities for something to get stolen, compared to someones average day.

I suggest you just keep a very close eye on your property, only removing it from your person when necessary, and even then keep it within your center of attention, as well as keeping trust worthy friends nearby whom can also keep an eye on your property.
If you do this, you should not have a problem.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

raspberryblue

Thanks everyone! My bag has a zipper opening, so I don't think anyone can reach in and grab something. I'll be keeping my bag close to me  :)

aurifera

I keep cute keychains/charms with bells on my bags, attached to the zipper

Not just for cons, but as a regular thing.

It feels like I'm wearing a cat bell, but that way I'll know if someone's either messing with my stuff (this has never happened to me), or if I accidentally left my bag (...this has...)... if I'm not making jingly noises when I walk, something's wrong :p

Lucifargundam

Bring a backpack or something light-weight. Keep it close and never let go of it. Be aware of your surroundings like those before me just said. I got a bag from fanime last year that I use for my art stuffs and it worked nicely during the con.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.