Fanime won't turn away people on Day 1 if they need to purchase badges, right?

Started by therandomeer, May 17, 2012, 08:09:20 AM

therandomeer

I happened to miss the Pre-Registration block, but I'm worried that if I go there after school (around 3 o'clock) that the size of Fanime might make the staff push people away. (First year, here, very clueless)

Can someone clarify what happens?
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -SH

TeeforTo

Based on what I know, Fanime staff will not push people away. If you happen to miss the Pre-Registration block, you can just go on Day 1 to Fanime and buy your badge on that day, but you're going to have to wait in line.

Kyra_Maverick

Fanime has never met the capacity limit, so there should be no fear of getting turned away as long as you're in line before registration ends.

TC X0 Lt 0X

You know, come to think of it, what exactly is the Convention Centers Capacity Limit?
It won't matter much when the expansion is finished, but it would be interesting to compare the attendance to the capacity.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

HunterZero

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 17, 2012, 12:54:13 PM
You know, come to think of it, what exactly is the Convention Centers Capacity Limit?
It won't matter much when the expansion is finished, but it would be interesting to compare the attendance to the capacity.

That's a complicated question. It depends on the layout of the facility, which is something that is determined by each event planner. After the layout has been determined, the fire marshall has to inspect the area and give the number.

You can get a little more information here:
http://www.sanjose.org/EC2/sitepdfs/Facilities_User_Guide.pdf

Since FanimeCon has the rooms setup in a specific arrangement, you'd have to ask them what the capacity is given their layout. Generally speaking though, the number of chairs in any given room is close to the capacity with some percentage (I've heard 10-15%) reserved.

My personal guess (pulled out of thin air) is around 25,000 people. The bigger issue to me with FanimeCon isn't the convention center, but the lack of nearby hotel rooms.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: SeymourParii on May 17, 2012, 08:09:20 AM
I happened to miss the Pre-Registration block, but I'm worried that if I go there after school (around 3 o'clock) that the size of Fanime might make the staff push people away. (First year, here, very clueless)

Can someone clarify what happens?
If you go to after 3 pm, you can of course still gain entry to the con.  All you have to do is (when you get there) wait in line for registration at the convention (the long line to the right when you walk into the center).  It will be a little bit more expensive than online registration ($65 vs $60 by the end of online registration), but you will definitely be able to get in.  Basically, the differences between online registration and doing it at the center are 1) it's cheaper, 2) it's not as long of a wait.

therandomeer

Ah, well, thank you very much for the replies!

I actually have one more question. I am under 18 and going to be taking part in the Karaoke Contest. My mother wants to accompany me. Would she need a badge for Friday as well?
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -SH

kookiekween99

Quote from: SeymourParii on May 17, 2012, 07:58:52 PM

I actually have one more question. I am under 18 and going to be taking part in the Karaoke Contest. My mother wants to accompany me. Would she need a badge for Friday as well?
If she wants to be in the Karaoke Room, I believe so.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: kookiekween99 on May 17, 2012, 08:01:00 PM
Quote from: SeymourParii on May 17, 2012, 07:58:52 PM

If she wants to be in the Karaoke Room, I believe so.
I can't quite remember if they check for badges there, but I'd say she should get one just to be on the safe side.