Beware of the dastardly "Swap Meet Ladies"!

Started by Otaku_Lord, May 11, 2013, 05:47:22 AM

Otaku_Lord

Really hoping the swap meet is better this year. Seems like each year there's more and more stores sneaking in and other folks who sell cheap things for ridiculous prices.

A great example would be the group I sometimes call, "THE INSERT LADIES" or "The Swap Meet Ladies". I'm sure you've seen them, there's hardly any con I've seen that I haven't seen them at.
Their group usually consists of roughly 3 large chinese women (all usually large and wearing glasses, look like classic Fujoshi) who buy Japanese anime magazines, tear out the inserts, promo goods, etc... and then SELL them for INSANE prices, convincing buyers that their goods are actually worth 5x what they should be.
If you didn't know, popular magazines like NewType, NyanType, Megumi, Comptiq, and more- usually can come with free posters, character folders, small promo figures, mini-artbooks, and...more posters.
I've been highly aware of their actions since 2009's swap meet, and since then have not been to a convention that I haven't seen at least one of them. And I've been watching them too- at Sac Anime they once NEARLY MONOPOLIZED the ENTIRE swap meet, as they secretly reserved like 8 spots. I made Sac Anime aware and they now have a 1-2 spots per ID rule, THANK GOD. At HyperCon I once saw one of them rent a vendor's table, lol, easy to fool staff to think they're a store since...all their stuff is new, ripped from magazines.
Sorry, but I just think ripping out a promo item from a 10$-20$ magazine and selling the item for 60$ and more is a crime against the honor, fundamentals, and general balance to the fun of things like swap meets.

I'd like to warn anyone who may see them and think about buying from them, that you are getting totally ripped off if you buy anything from them. For the price of ANYTHING they sell, you could buy 1-5 magazines and get as much as they have in their entire swap meet store!
So seriously, watch out!

LiL Moon

I agree. I haven't seen those specific ladies per say, but I do see a lot of people in the swamp meet selling things for outrageous prices. There's a good amount of people using the swamp meet for its intended purpose while there are plenty of people trying to scam others into thinking their items are as valuable as they say they are.

Buyers need to learn to shop smart. It's good to do a little research before a con by checking online for items you may want to find and buy when you are there. Then learn what they are selling for online so you don't get ripped off.

Azalie

THANK YOU. I'm glad someone finally said it, these ladies have been on my nerves for years.

The prices are outrageous, everything is wrapped and new (As far as I can tell, every swap meet has rules that say "NO NEW MERCHANDISE" but somehow these girls get past that rule every single time. Not to mention they somehow get a swap meet table AND dealer hall space, which is also against the rules). They are also rude as hell. I've attempted to make serious offers on their merchandise (Once I attempted to haggle $5 less on a figure they're already selling for double the price it was worth), and they literally laughed in my face. I won't even step near their tables anymore. Importing direct from Japan is cheaper than buying from them. They've also come up to me trying to buy my merchandise, trying to haggle me down to 1/3 the price I was asking, when they won't accept any offers on their own stuff. Yeah, no.

Beware these girls. They break too many rules, and really ruin the fun of swap meets.

warbearer

I think one of them tried to do the same thing to me and I refused and asked if they are trying to resell my stuff.

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Azalie on May 11, 2013, 08:35:34 PM
every swap meet has rules that say "NO NEW MERCHANDISE" but somehow these girls get past that rule every single time.
That's why i dress as tom nook and try to make sure you fear the racoon!
lol, sorry, anyway::

I am kinda surprise you mention I knew one of the ladies! they aren't that bad, just.. I don't know what to say but am very sure they have their reasons!...

even though i am against new products being used to resell for higher income goods. Doesn't mean your making a profit....
I mean just how much are the sellers really losing here? and how can they manage to break even before re-earning your losses? (paying the hotels...then registration.. ...then swap meet registration...then parking... in that order!)

You also noticed that most items back then (sailor moon character artbooks, Kuroshitsuji Static arts, Kingdom hearts keyblade arms, Autographed voice actress Momoi signed box Seto sun, Zelda Symphony poster.. etc..)

you need to take account that you have to offer them some commission fees for finding/obtaining these rare items (trust me, its very hard to let go of something amazingly special)

besides
You should be feeling happy that about 95% of registered swap meet users sell better things then what they can offer.

besides -_- i kinda have a hard time ignoreing people saying "would you believe i payed only $10 just for this figure and its actual cost is $50?, never got tired of hearing that!

I think dressing as Tom nook with Crazy redd does bring alot of people smile on others that it kinda does give that animal crossing sense!

Quote from: warbearer on May 11, 2013, 09:20:51 PM
I think one of them tried to do the same thing to me and I refused and asked if they are trying to resell my stuff.

What do you mean by that, warbearer???

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Otaku_Lord on May 11, 2013, 05:47:22 AM
A great example would be the group I sometimes call, "THE INSERT LADIES" or "The Swap Meet Ladies". I'm sure you've seen them, there's hardly any con I've seen that I haven't seen them at.
Their group usually consists of roughly 3 large chinese women (all usually large and wearing glasses, look like classic Fujoshi) who buy Japanese anime magazines, tear out the inserts, promo goods, etc... and then SELL them for INSANE prices, convincing buyers that their goods are actually worth 5x what they should be.

If these ladies are breaking the rules, can someone report them this year?  Possibly contact Fanime staff before tomorrow to let them know of their actions? 

I just focus on what I'm selling and not worry about what others sell and for how much.  I charge what I deem is a fair price, and if people ask for a small discount, depending on the item, I may or may not knock a few dollars off.

What irks me was that last year some buyers looked at my items, looked up ebay/amazon/etc. for the value of my item(s), and then bought it at the price I was asking (or asked for a discount.)  It's hard to say if they actually kept them or put the items on ebay for a higher price than what they paid for.   :P

Still, I'm just glad I sold the majority of my stuff last year.  :)

mod edit: Removed request for pictures...
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Eurobeat King on May 12, 2013, 10:31:55 AM

If these ladies are breaking the rules, can someone report them this year?  Possibly contact Fanime staff before tomorrow to let them know of their actions? 

last year some buyers looked at my items, looked up ebay/amazon/etc. for the value of my item(s), and then bought it at the price I was asking (or asked for a discount.)
I don't think reporting it would help since they will defend that the product is open...besides i already ask if thats legal and one of the rovers said "as long as its an open product for sale, then they aren't breaking any rules.

as for the Smart phone deal, yeah, expect alot of people doing this and will negotiate using via smart phone... but you have a right to denied it and tell them to move along...

otakuya

^ For the sake of the swap meet and researching prices on the spot; I'm pro-seller, in that your argument can be that you can get the item right here right now, instead of shipping and waiting, plus buying items in the atmosphere of the swap meet instead of clicking buttons from home.

StillMyWords

Hi everyone,

Just to give a bit of a heads up we are trying to keep an eye on people who skirt the rules and will do our best to make sure that they don't ruin a good thing for everyone else.

That said, our rules in no way stipulate that the items being sold must be 'used.' I myself have a number of unopened CDs I've imported from Japan that I've later gone on to sell, not at a gross profit like some individuals are being accused of, but they were just in a collection that was getting too big to maintain so I moved on.

What can definitely be helpful, is if anyone spots individuals selling at Swap Meet and also in the Dealer's Hall, that is a major violation of our rules and will be handled accordingly.

Thanks everyone!

Late night edit: Go Warriors!
FanimeCon 2013 Fan Services Staff
Swap Meet Head

Anon

Quote from: StillMyWords on May 12, 2013, 09:18:30 PM

That said, our rules in no way stipulate that the items being sold must be 'used.' I myself have a number of unopened CDs I've imported from Japan that I've later gone on to sell, not at a gross profit like some individuals are being accused of, but they were just in a collection that was getting too big to maintain so I moved on.

Thank you, I'm glad an actual staffer mentioned this. As a former American comic book collector, I like keeping my things in mint condition; in case I want to resell them later, or if the items are purely bought to sell at a collectors price. I'm sure people have accused me of possibly being a dealer, nothing I can do about it. All I can do is explain my practices of keeping things as pristine as I possibly can. All things I have are bought with my own money and at original retail price (or, if I'm lucky, a sale price)

Hakaru_chan

Really hoping the swap meet is better this year. Seems like each year there's more and more stores sneaking in and other folks who sell cheap things for ridiculous prices.

If you didn't know, popular magazines like NewType, NyanType, Megumi, Comptiq, and more- usually can come with free posters, character folders, small promo figures, mini-artbooks, and...more posters.
I've been highly aware of their actions since 2009's swap meet, and since then have not been to a convention that I haven't seen at least one of them. And I've been watching them too- at Sac Anime they once NEARLY MONOPOLIZED the ENTIRE swap meet, as they secretly reserved like 8 spots. I made Sac Anime aware and they now have a 1-2 spots per ID rule, THANK GOD. At HyperCon I once saw one of them rent a vendor's table, lol, easy to fool staff to think they're a store since...all their stuff is new, ripped from magazines.
Sorry, but I just think ripping out a promo item from a 10$-20$ magazine and selling the item for 60$ and more is a crime against the honor, fundamentals, and general balance to the fun of things like swap meets.

I'd like to warn anyone who may see them and think about buying from them, that you are getting totally ripped off if you buy anything from them. For the price of ANYTHING they sell, you could buy 1-5 magazines and get as much as they have in their entire swap meet store!
So seriously, watch out!

Wow! I think I know who you are talking about, and although I am so curious now to know if I'm right, having their names down here or even a picture is too humiliating or discriminating...

but yea thanks for the info!
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork