FanimeCon 2019 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vintage Anime - Name That Year! - Returning for 2019  (Read 3219 times)

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
  • Old School Gathering Host / Vintage Anime Panels
    • View Profile
Vintage Anime - Name That Year! - Returning for 2019
« on: March 27, 2018, 02:42:48 PM »

Returning for 2019 to bring classic anime love back to FanimeCon -

Vintage Anime - Name That Year!

Do you know your anime? Three attendees compete to identify pre-2001 anime openings to their respective years! Each classic anime opening is followed by a brief selection of information, including current availability and related works. Compete to win old school anime prizes and be crowned Otaking!*

(three contestant slots accepted from panel attendees - first come, first served)

*Otaking is not gender-specific, it's a term from the 1991 OVA "Otaku no Video" but if you're interested in this panel then you probably knew that already.

View the greatest anime openings of all time, listen to iconic music, and expand your anime horizons!

The first three panel attendees who wish to compete will sit at the front of the room across from the stage. They will each be given three cards, marked A, B, and C.

Ten rounds - Each round will have three years on screen, example: A.1982 B.1985 C.1989, and an anime opening / intro will play. At the conclusion of the anime opening, each contestant holds up the card that corresponds to the year they think the anime series premiered in. If their answer is correct, they are awarded a point.  After a round, the next presentation slide will give the correct answer for the competitors and audience, brief information about the series, its current availability, and so on - as is done in a traditional information panel.  After that the next round begins.

Whichever contestant has the most points at the end of the final round wins a vintage anime prize pack supplied by myself in the theme of vintage anime fandom. (last year's package contained a LaserDisc, book, soundtrack, and a pair of video games - all vintage anime themed) In the case of a tie, there will be a tiebreak series opening, without multiple choice, where the competitors must write the year down. Closest to the actual year breaks the tie and wins.  In the event of a continuing tie, co-champions will be crowned!

A twist on the "vintage anime" type panel with more audio / video and the addition of a competition between three attendees.

Date and Time - To Be Announced.  More than likely in the morning (9am or 10am).  Hoping to have two sessions, Saturday and Sunday, for 2019 due to positive response and request from last year.

Join us and... NAME - THAT - YEAR!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:51:03 PM by InsaneDavid »

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Anime - Name That Year!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 07:08:32 AM »

With registration now open, I wanted to ping this thread as we plan on hosting this again for 2019!  Due to positive feedback we're considering expanding to a second session depending on policy once panel registration opens.

Thank you to all our attendees and contestants from FanimeCon 2018 for sharing a bit of your Saturday morning with us and expanding your vintage anime knowledge.

Barnes

• Oh, I see
  • Tokyo Post Post
  • The Old man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:59:09 PM »

I guess I better brush on my old-school knowledge.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 11:34:23 AM »

I guess I better brush on my old-school knowledge.

Or just watch a lot of pre-2001 anime openings.  :D

Last year we had a three-way tie at Round 8 that progressed to a two-way tie after the Final Round, so it went to a tiebreaker.

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Anime - Name That Year! - Returning for 2019
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 09:21:22 PM »

Submission is in, here's hoping.

InsaneDavid

• Mokkori Cosplay
  • Inu-Posta
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Anime - Name That Year! - Returning for 2019
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »

We had a really good mix of attendees (and our three contestants) last year and I want to emphasize this panel can be enjoyed by anyone who likes anime, even if you only have a curiosity about titles from 2000 and earlier - not just the "hardened vintage retro otaku."  As three year choices are given for each opening / intro, you can think through it and formulate a good guess as to the correct response - although I do like to make them somewhat tricky (but not frustrating) in that regard.  That was actually really cool last year, watching the contestants work a bit of a process of elimination while the openings were playing.

Additionally I try to ensure the panel has a good mix of anime.  At least one title that's really well-known commonly, a few that are very popular but not universal, one truly vintage title, one where the art style betrays its production year, and a general mix otherwise.  I also attempt to utilize titles that have been recently licensed / relicensed or rescued, have a fansubbing project currently underway, have new productions based upon the property currently in work, are celebrating an anniversary, have a connection to a FanimeCon Guest of Honor, etc.  So they are absolutely not thrown together at random - I really think through what to include in the panel as per what is going on with vintage anime currently and then I research to make sure my information is as accurate as possible.

As an example, here's the list from 2018 (which will not be used in subsequent panels) :

Kikou Kantai Dairugger XV (Japanese source of the ever-forgotten Vehicle Voltron)
Galaxy Express 999 (2018 was 40th anniversary)
City Hunter (new animated theatrical film with all original cast to be released in 02/2019)
Marmalade Boy (Ryotaro Okiayu, who voiced the leading male, was a FanimeCon 2018 Guest of Honor)
Cowboy Bebop (2018 was 20th anniversary + well-known)
Chibi Maruko-chan (currently being fansubbed - also a total trick as the years were A.1970 B.1980 C.1990)
Mobile Police Patlabor - Early Days (2018 was 30th anniversary + new Patlabor EZY series was announced)
Eightman (our true vintage title for the session, also the OVA sequel was recently rescued)
Hana Yori Dango / Boys Over Flowers (recently re-licensed)
Dirty Pair (another well-known title, re-licensed not too long ago)

Lensman Galactic Patrol (tiebreak round, also currently undergoing a pretty amazing fansubbing project)

The above is also just a great snapshot of vintage anime with great OPs.  There's also a lot of interesting anime history within those titles, which the panel discusses.  That's really the push behind this panel - to have a lot of fun, share knowledge about vintage anime, discuss availability and new releases, and make this vast subject matter accessible to everyone.  Last year everyone seemed to really enjoy it and the feedback was great, so I want to keep it going.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.