American Anime: Poison/Treasure?

Started by Calitastic, October 08, 2004, 09:42:30 AM

Calitastic

I know a lot of people who are very pro-Anime. w00t, yay anime, everyone party. BLABLA. Anyway, this is all fun and dandy. However, I've noticed that on this forum, there seems to be at least a little negative energy towards American Anime, or the idea that there may be a real American Anime. Is it an oxymoron? Plagiarism?

I don't think so. I think that anime is no longer restricted to any one culture or country. As far as I've heard, anime production is becoming a bit more globalised. For example, Code Lyoko was/is made in France. I have a friend who has recently gotten into the Korean anime movement.

This could be good news for some artists here in America. I have a lot of talented friends, but they're all uinsure about the concept of creating their own anime because of the stereotype that only Japanese people can create anime.

Opinions? Rejections? Glaring?

DayDreamerNessa

well all the people i've ever talked to were wary of creating there own anime/manga NOT because only 'japanese' can make it (thats just friggen stupid, theres people who actually say that?!)

but because they didn't think they'd make much profit, or there wouldn't be a high demand for anime and manga here at least in the US. yes there are anime/manga fans here, but not enough to catch a lot of attention <-- those aren't all the reasons but those are some of the prevailent issues.

anyways thats just my opinion and what i've heard >_>;
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

specter

My view is this: "anime" is just the japanese word for animation and if your animation has an anime style to it and it works go with it.
I am the world's most honest man, I admit I'm a liar.

KimaLucifer

Quote from: "specter"My view is this: "anime" is just the japanese word for animation and if your animation has an anime style to it and it works go with it.

I like the first half of your explanation.

I'd rather call the american anime-wannabes just animation.

The reason why I feel negative towards the anime-like american animations is because they use WAYYYY to many emotions.

If you looked at "Teen Titans" or "Totally Spies" (I think that's what they're called) you'll understand what I'm trying to say.
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

youngjediboy

what the hell is "American Anime"?

are there also sushi burgers?
My Fanime 2004 pics are up: http://anhelo.2ya.com/album.html

Tsubasa

As much as I understand that "anime" is actually more of a style, as opposed to animation that is produced from one specific region, I am reluctant to claim that titles produced in America, for Americans (or any other country for that matter)--following regular "anime" conventions--are anime.  The distinction I draw is this: if a title was produced in Japan or by a Japanese company (thus encompassing outside contracting, such as with Korean studios), it is anime.  If the title does not fall under this classification, it is not true anime and only stylistically similar.  Before denouncing this view as entirely too restrictive, let me provide a parallel with, lets say, manga.  Manga these days are classified as "shoujo" and "shounen" depending on the publication they are serialized in.  So sometimes you get some interesting cases, like Chobits as a shounen manga, even though it feels like any other shoujo CLAMP manga.  In the same likelihood, take the anime Super Milk-chan.  This looks very American in animation style, but I must still classify it as anime because it was produced in Japan.  But this shouldn't be a deterrent to those hoping to enter the animation industry with a stylistically anime concept.  It can look, sound, and feel like anime and be very enjoyable, but I won't classify it as anime in the strictest sense.  You may or may not agree with me, but I think my system is reasonable.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Zagato

From the straightforward viewpoint, anime is

Quote from: "www.dictionary.com"
A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex.

Strictly speaking, that is the dictionary's definition of anime.

Using the first bit,
QuoteA style of animation developed in Japan
Anything drawn in that style is anime; Not per~se good anime, but anime nonetheless.
Personally speaking, I've seen some decent rogue american anime, and can, at times, find it difficult to tell whether I'm reading something from Korea, Viatnam, America, or Japan.

And to prove the people who say it has to be made in japan to be anime, I propose this kind of situation

Koge Donbo or CLAMP go to america for a while. while there, one makes 2 new different series, sends 1 to japan to be made, and 1 to somewhere in america to be made. Is only the japanese one an anime now?

-Zagato; Dictonary says Anime stylized by sex? WTF?
Cosplay suggestions for '06? Dark waist-length hair...
Current cosplay thoughts-Black Hair Inuyasha, Black Gema Gema Gang Bishie

yellowbuttercup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

if you read that... technically, anime started out to be a simplified animation style of disney.

it took time for anime to mature into a unique animation style. maybe in time.. this "anime-like animation" will develop into a unique style as well.

people should not hate on this type of animation. i see it more as a good thing. anime really might be taking over the world.. o_o;; the animation world has been influenced by anime for quite awhile now.. (it has also influenced disney also..)

someone said Teen Titans was overly emotional?? I don't think so. Some anime could be even more emotional... the whole emotion thing doesn't seem like a reason...

Tsubasa

I was just surfing the net when I happened upon John's newest collumn at Animenation, which seems to deal with the topic at hand.  I think it's a very good read.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

ced1106

I'd prefer some term like "Anime influenced" for cartoons -- and comics -- which are obviously influenced by anime, but still retain conventions from their culture.

Powerpuff Girls rule.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

Glitch

america does need a mature animation style.but shouldn't have to imitate anime to do so.like my beloved spawn series. ^.^ *floats up*

Calitastic

The only problem with just saying that Americans need to develop a matured animation style that doesn't look like anime is that it's hard. You can't just remove the immense influence that's come from anime from the states. Though of course, there are still the old school marvel-type artists who draw amazingly, those artists can not say that have had no influence.

Charming_Dorian

I agree with Kima and the term "Anime-Wannabes".
That's what they are to me... unfortunately my grandparents cant see the difference and simply refer to them all as "bubble eyes"

Glitch

QuoteThe only problem with just saying that Americans need to develop a matured animation style that doesn't look like anime is that it's hard. You can't just remove the immense influence that's come from anime from the states. Though of course, there are still the old school marvel-type artists who draw amazingly, those artists can not say that have had no influence.
I'm not saying they should just ignore the influence anime,but they should try to be original instead of making second rate anime.And of coarse the stigma of being called cartoons and all these sensitive fcc getting their panties in a wad over "cartoons" being mature.
Old school comic art definitely kicks ass.Would have been cool see that style in primetime instead of saturday morning setting.Reminds me of why I want to study animation.Now I'm just ranting.sorry folks. ^_^;

red

I consider Powerpuff girls and Teen Titans to be heavily anime influenced, there was even an article in Play magazine about Teen Titans. It definitely makes the show better, IMO. It does have some of the american originality left in there... which makes it entertaining to watch as I grew up on these types of shows.
If you run over small children, they turn into candy!

Faust Erhard

I dont think to highly of American or French(Code Lyoko,Winx Club?) Anime I only watch Teen Titans because Im a big fan of the comics & because It's quite stupid that it's funny.To put it bluntly I dont care for American Anime

Mach5Motorsport

Ok, I've reviewed the posts on this interesting topic.  However, some people are omitting a few things>  Animation on American TV is not produced in the US.  It's done overseas, mostly in Korea.   I should say that a good deal of Japnese  market anime is also produced in Korea too.   What  is at issue then becomes the style of market taste according to the buyer.  Of course there is a good deal of title importation by Cartoon Network and Fox Kids lately from Japan.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host