Anime South - Anime is a French term. WTF????

Started by Mach5Motorsport, June 23, 2005, 12:37:02 PM

Mach5Motorsport

I was typing in Media Blasters on the url line when I forgot the hyphen.  Well much to my surprise when it came back as the Anime South website.  mediablasters.com WTF???  When does a con ever shadow the url of a video company?  But I digress.  Interesting new con in Florida.

Very curious membership plans.  But the most interesting thing I saw came when I went over to the video programming page.  This is quoted directly from the website.

QuoteAnime South will be showing lots of anime, a French term denoting Japanese animation.

Anime is a french term?  I always thought the kanji was Japanese.  Now we know ..The French invented anime. :shock:
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

Bata-kun

Anime is a very deceiving term.  Anime comes from the English term, animation or in roumaji, animeishon/animeeshon.  Anime also happens to be a French term for animation, but it doesn't refer to Japanese animation.  It could refer to any sort of animation.

So, yeah.  Various dictionaries say that it's an English term, not French.  Oh and yes, you can write the Japanese word in kanji (which I forgot right now), but not anime.

G.I.R

Quote from: "Bata-kun"So, yeah. Various dictionaries say that it's an English term, not French.
Actually, the word has a Latin origin.  "Animate" is a derivative of the word "animatus", which means "to bring alive", or "to stimulate to action.  Thus, "Animation" is the process of animating. :D

Spiritsnare

That, and anime is spelled in katakana, which is usually used to denote foreign words or expressions (written as アニメ、 not あにめ). Meanwhile, manga is spelled with hiragana, which is usually used for 'purely Japanese' words (written as まんが、 not マンガ).

I think it's been known that the word 'anime' doesn't have its roots in Japan...;)

EDIT I think it's a given that an anime con would "be showing lots of anime" XD
epic progressive

vox

Bata-kun

QuoteActually, the word has a Latin origin.

Whoops.  I meant to say "Japanese dictionaries", not just any dictionary.

QuoteMeanwhile, manga is spelled with hiragana

It's also written in kanji.  You hardly see it written in katakana.  If you do, it's only for emphasis pretty much.

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"That, and anime is spelled in katakana, which is usually used to denote foreign words or expressions (written as アニメ、 not あにめ). Meanwhile, manga is spelled with hiragana, which is usually used for 'purely Japanese' words (written as まんが、 not マンガ).

I think it's been known that the word 'anime' doesn't have its roots in Japan...;)

My point is someone extending credit to the French.   :x   heck, Michelin can't even make a decent F1 racing tire :lol:
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

GokuMew2

Yeah, and you notice how sometimes there are signs that spell anime with an accent aigu over the e? .~_~;; It's sort of annoying.

Anime is short for animation, just like pasokon is short for personal computer, or Pokemon for Pocket Monster.

Spiritsnare,
Manga can also be written in kanji as 漫画. I've noticed that the Japanese, at least the ones I talk to, write it in katakana, which is my preference.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "GokuMew2"Manga can also be written in kanji as 漫画. I've noticed that the Japanese, at least the ones I talk to, write it in katakana, which is my preference.

Interesting point. I've never seen it written in katakana -- only hiragana. Maybe I'm just blind or something?
epic progressive

vox