FanimeCon 2019 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: question/suggestions about console games  (Read 4032 times)

deepbluevibes

• Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
question/suggestions about console games
« on: May 07, 2006, 07:49:01 PM »

wondering, how will lines/winning/etc. go for fighting games? or a line for a music game?

i.e. let's say for example, someone plays a music game and picks an endless mode of some sort. when do they give up the controller?

i'd expect otherwise for music games when someone is done with the "game" i.e. has played through the mandatory 2/3/4 whatever stages (like for taiko) then the next person in line goes.

however, what about fighting games?

does the winner stay just like an arcade game, or do they give up their controller eventually also? and i'm guessing the lines would be the same as an arcade etc.?

i would think on all console video games if there's a long enough line (more than two or so people waiting) that someone should provide pad + pencil to everyone running each game, so that people can write down their names in line, so that fights don't break out over "omg i was next" type things.
Stupidest post/most uninformed person award goes to;

In DM the high hot also acts as the high tom, the open hat, the closed hat.

p.s. it never does that.

Aznmnky

• Maria-sama ga Post
  • Scooby Doo can doo doo but Jimmy Carter is smarter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:00:03 PM »

For fighting games, winner should stay. It gives a chance for people to fight the better player, and the loser and audience can learn a few things.  

Pad and pencil? O_o We're not little kids, yo. But if there are little kids, most people would generally be nice and let them play. In an arcade scene with lots of teens/young adults, a lot of people act maturely from what I've noticed around my area (SVGL,MGL,SJSU,SJGL).

I haven't seen the console area yet so it's hard to estimate the number of players that wish to attend and how many TV sets there will be.

YoureMyHiro

• Prince of Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:02:29 PM »

Theres generally about 30 or so TVs with one game each, two depending on the popularity of that game. Last year TK5 and GGX2 had two each and the Naruto games had two each I think too.

Aznmnky

• Maria-sama ga Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 01:03:54 PM »

dude, Jesse, get on AIM fool! LOL ^_^

30 or so TVs!!?  :shock: That's like Evolution man!! T5 and GGX2 had two, nice....I doubt CvS2 and 3S will be that popular but MvC2 just might :lol: O well, who knows...That's why WE gotta bring the competition to Fanime.

Ayanami Rei First Child

• Post in the Shell: SAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 01:52:22 PM »

Heh. I might bring my console just for my own game of Pocket Fighter....gotta advertise the cutest and funest fighting game ^_^V

Asa_Gohan

• I play Fox now <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 03:29:41 PM »

*pokes* where are you going to get a table and a tv then?

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

deepbluevibes

• Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 03:40:59 PM »

Quote from: "Aznmnky"
For fighting games, winner should stay. It gives a chance for people to fight the better player, and the loser and audience can learn a few things.  

Pad and pencil? O_o We're not little kids, yo. But if there are little kids, most people would generally be nice and let them play. In an arcade scene with lots of teens/young adults, a lot of people act maturely from what I've noticed around my area (SVGL,MGL,SJSU,SJGL).

I haven't seen the console area yet so it's hard to estimate the number of players that wish to attend and how many TV sets there will be.

uhh how is pad and pencil immature? i've seen that system used at DDR tournaments, at CvS2 SVGL tournaments, everywhere.

I said to use that, not because people would lie about their position in line, but for instance at my college, let's say this happens:

10 people are in line.
Person 7 goes to the bathroom. Person 6 is next up.
Person 11 comes and drops a coin in the line, person 10 gets a phone call and is still looking at machine.
Person 11 assumes they are next in line after person 9 because they don't see Person 10 right by the machine.
Person 8 is now playing, person 7's turn has been skipped, so they assume they'll just go next.
Person 9 jumps in front of them, takes his turn, person 7 is determined to go next, person 10, 11, and 9 all want to go next.

get it?

if there was pen and paper, or pencil, whatever, everyone would know where everyone was in line, and if someone wasn't there on time, they'd look around for them, call their name, and then if no response, skip them.

At my arcade when DDR was big, we used to have 30+ person lines; we'd HAVE to use that system. At fanime the lines are even worse: i saw coins stacked up on top of coins stacked up on top of coins, a three-row coin line! how could ANYONE ever keep track of that?

p.s. it never does that.

Ayanami Rei First Child

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 03:55:37 PM »

Mmmh. That DOES get pretty crazy. Perhaps we could use initials or something. Although I didn't see much crowds around arcades, but with consoles I never really went there. The only console I played was out in the hall on top of that table. Which was actually pretty cool ^^

YoureMyHiro

• Prince of Post
    • View Profile
Re: question/suggestions about console games
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 04:08:43 PM »

Quote from: "deepbluevibes"
wondering, how will lines/winning/etc. go for fighting games? or a line for a music game?

Last year people just said "Whos next?" and depending on the line, you would just respond with "Okay, well then Im after that guy" and remember your spot.

Ayanami Rei First Child

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 04:58:05 PM »

True....although I rather like the idea of pen and paper or something. I dunno it just seems more efficient is all...

Aznmnky

• Maria-sama ga Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 05:43:32 PM »

uhh how is pad and pencil immature? i've seen that system used at DDR tournaments, at CvS2 SVGL tournaments, everywhere.

I said to use that, not because people would lie about their position in line, but for instance at my college, let's say this happens:

10 people are in line.
Person 11 comes and drops a coin in the line, person 10 gets a phone call and is still looking at machine.
Person 11 assumes they are next in line after person 9 because they don't see Person 10 right by the machine.
Person 8 is now playing, person 7's turn has been skipped, so they assume they'll just go next.
Person 9 jumps in front of them, takes his turn, person 7 is determined to go next, person 10, 11, and 9 all want to go next.

get it?

if there was pen and paper, or pencil, whatever, everyone would know where everyone was in line, and if someone wasn't there on time, they'd look around for them, call their name, and then if no response, skip them.

At my arcade when DDR was big, we used to have 30+ person lines; we'd HAVE to use that system. At fanime the lines are even worse: i saw coins stacked up on top of coins stacked up on top of coins, a three-row coin line! how could ANYONE ever keep track of that?

I was just talking about playing during casuals not tournaments. Of course, we would have brackets for tourneys.

deepbluevibes

• Steel Angel Post
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 06:14:47 PM »

10 people are in line.

get it?

I was just talking about playing during casuals not tournaments. Of course, we would have brackets for tourneys.

I wasn't talking about tournaments either. I was talking about just casual arcade lines any old day of the week.

Also, again people, lemme remind you, sure the classic "oh i'm next" thing works in a 3 or 4 person line.

I can guarentee you at some points in the con on some games, the line will get into the 10's or 20's, and that won't work anymore. I just suggested it but eh.

p.s. it never does that.

Ayanami Rei First Child

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 12:00:16 PM »

Well you suggested it, and I think it'd be good if we kept it as a backup. Don't impliment the structure if it's not needed. ^^;;
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 24 queries.