Was FanimeCon...?

Started by Taijiya Sango, June 02, 2006, 12:45:16 PM

Taijiya Sango

Was FanimeCon06 part of American culture? I'm doing a report on it now, and was wondering whether this type of fesivities add or diminish the culture of america.

My opinion is that it does not diminish, but rather add on to the culture, because America is so diverse. There are not only english people living here, but Japanese, Hispanic, African, ect. The culture of America represents all these different cultures so that when, for example, Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in the US, it doesn't look so out-of-place as it would, say...in Russia.

Anime has become a part of American society. Many kids around our age run to comic stores to buy manga. Kids in schools like showing off their anime drawings. There is always someone ready to eat Pocky...

If a convention like Fanime occurred in the US, it is not out-of-place. It's about as at home as it would be if it took place in Japan....

I mean, who wouldn't want to cosplay?

Leishu

An interesting and fascinating thought-process, that.

It begs the greater question if the uniqueness of American culture stems directly from its propensity for analyzing and taking parts of other cultures and melding them into itself.
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

Taijiya Sango

Even more interesting.

There is such a thing as American culture, but we add on to it whenever different people with different ethnicities come to the US. It is because when people come here, they don't just want to abandon their old culture, so they take a little bit of it with them. Eventually, it just becomes part of the mainstream. Perhaps the act of having different bits of different cultures is American culture.

Leishu

Exactly why I usually prefer the term 'Mosaic' to 'Melting Pot.'

Taijiya Sango

Right. So you agree with the idea?  :?

Now I need more input so my report is more credible. Just in case someone would oppose the thought.

Leishu

Well in the form of anthropological and scientific thought you do not need to make it unopposable. That's impossible. You need to make it supportable. Take surveys outside of a con as to who has heard of, who watches Anime, who has interests in outside cultures (and small interviews as to where, if anywhere, they gained those interests).

madmanlotar

Not to go off topic but there is a reason that cinco de Mayo is celebrated in America.  That is because if Mexico did not fight so fiercely and tie up the French invasion of their own country, the US would have been next.  Considering the US was fighting a civil war, I would think that it would not like fighting against a French backed South.
 This type of research is more sociological than anthropological.  Seeing that it spans more than one culture and seeks to find the consequences of a foreign culture intergrating into American society.

Leishu

I'm fairly certain that's not the only reason, but yeah. That's pretty irrelevant. It's still more likely to be celebrated here than in Russia :p

Taijiya Sango

Leishu, I'm actually doing that. ^_~

madmanlotar, er.....I was just setting up an example...but yes, you're right.

Leishu

Neet, Taijiya.

For the record, this is why I'm a lit major. I much prefer studying books and writers to studying people. x.x

milkmandan

Quote from: "Taijiya Sango"Was FanimeCon06 part of American culture? I'm doing a report on it now, and was wondering whether this type of fesivities add or diminish the culture of america.

My opinion is that it does not diminish, but rather add on to the culture, because America is so diverse. There are not only english people living here, but Japanese, Hispanic, African, ect. The culture of America represents all these different cultures so that when, for example, Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in the US, it doesn't look so out-of-place as it would, say...in Russia.

Anime has become a part of American society. Many kids around our age run to comic stores to buy manga. Kids in schools like showing off their anime drawings. There is always someone ready to eat Pocky...

If a convention like Fanime occurred in the US, it is not out-of-place. It's about as at home as it would be if it took place in Japan....

I mean, who wouldn't want to cosplay?
Fanime Con06 is a part of American Culture.  It is hosted in american and run by american fans.  its been around for a while.

Like everyone said, america does not have its own original pure culture.  it is a mix, a massive melting pot starting all the way back from British occupation, like someone pointed out.  if anything, this adds to the culture, as American culture is a blend of everything.

Quote from: "Taijiya Sango"
True that it is not out of place, but about as home as it would be? hmmmmmm.......Not Exactly :) If i had to choice to choose between Comiket or Akihabara and Anime Expo or Fanime Con, i'd choose Comiket or Akihabara.  There will be things at Comiket and Akihabara that are unheard of.  From goods, to new shows, to news, to cosplay, everything...its amazing over there.

Here even at AX, the next best thing we get is which licensing company is acquiring which title. -_-